Saracen Distribution panel Circuit Breaker reduced voltage

trophy160

I've connected my radios to the appropriate socket on the Distribution panel. This feed comes through one of the circuit breakers. In an off load condition I am only seeing about 18 volts. Does anyone have any ideas how/why the circuit breakers could be limiting the voltage.

The circuit breakers don't completely break the circuit I'm afraid!

There is a winding permanently in circuit, in normal working the contacts are closed & short this out. In a sustained overload a bimetallic strip breaks the main circuit. The winding is energised & holds the contacts open until the load is removed & the strip cooled down.

So maybe your contacts are corroded or the gaps need resetting?

It should be straight forward, no hidden springs.

I have the resistance readings & gaps etc.

It is a bit confusing as Humber & Ferret used Box, Distribution No.1 Mk 1 and the Saracen spare parts list states it uses a Distribution Box No.1 Mk 1 this incorrect. The item used in Saracen was in fact Panel, Distribution No.1 Mk 1.

This panel is more complex than the box as it houses three cut-outs not just two and it incorporates a battery isolation switch.