Ferret Turn Signal trials

Chris Preston

Greetings All,

Is there someone on this board familiar with all things "Ferret" that can advise/help me out with sorting-out the turn-signals in our museum's Ferret? I have working head-lights, side-lights, tail-lights, and brake-lights, but no working turn-signals, despite having power going to the turn-signal junction box and light sockets, as well as working light bulbs in all four sockets.

I've pulled the junction box out and opened it up and replaced the turn-signal relay (someone had fitted a Bosch unit in there) and replaced the actual turn-signal switch above the relay, and still don't have working signals. Consultation with someone more knowing (electrically) than myself makes us wonder if the actual switch itself has the wires properly connected to it from the relay, once it's mounted inside the junction box. We're wondering if we've replaced the plugs correctly on the terminals on the back of the switch and can't confirm becuase the wiring diagram originally inside the unit is vertually useless.

Can anyone advise?

Cheers,

Chris Preston,

Victoria, BC,

Canada

British turn signals from the era earthed to the body and were notorious for not working without a decent earth connection. There should be an earthing lead going from each signal housing to the body (generally somewhere on the mud wing), with a good, clean connection.

Cheers,

Terry

If nobody can come up with the Ferret EMER, I do have the mod instructions with diagram for Saracen, which I think would be pretty similar.

Nah, the Saracen one will be heaps better, because Saracens are better than Ferrets :P

Now excuse me while I go and put my flame suit on...

Cheers,

Terry

From what I recall Preston is working on a British Mk2/3.

Robin

Thanks Robin,

That's what comes from assuming!

Clive, I do not recall the flasher circuit being put in the Ferret EMER, could be wrong but my copy was updated to the last and have looked before. Sometimes Mods were never put in to the EMER and in the Mods section were removed once all the vehicles had been embodied with it.

Richard you were correct that the flasher mods came out in the 1960s.

The Saracen mods were in EMER WV V617 Mod No.76 & 79 1966

I have the mods in the EMERs for 48 types of vehicles in 1964-66 curiously these do not appear in the specific vehicle sections like Saracen but in the general section as supplements per vehicle in EMER WV A027.

I have very few EMERs in WV V627 for Ferret. Although I have the detailed index A001 it lists 124 Ferret mods but unfortunately Mods 1-62 no longer describe their subject so as you say they must be long gone.

The lighting and wiring circuits are shown at : http://www.ferret-fv701.co.uk/electrical_equipment.htm

The issue of poor earths, which generally occur in the light towers has been raised already, the left front/rear indicator (or turn lights) and right front/rear are wired in parallel (connected together) respectively. The flasher will not work unless both bulbs on the left or right hand side are connected, neither will the flasher relay flash if a bulb is blown on that side which is supposed to flash.

The correct flasher relay requires around 42 watts to work properly - 2 x 21watt 24 volt bulbs.

At a later stage a hazard warning switch was introduced.

Diana

Edited by Diana and Jackie
hazard switch not shown - reference removed

All,

Thanks for your replies. I should have clarified in my original post that we have a Ferret Mk 2/3, and not the original issue Mk I that Canada purchased.

I'll be checking the wiring inside the junction box more closely to make sure we have it wired properly (amongst other things).

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers,

Chris Preston :)

• 2 weeks later...