Changing engine number without reciept (DVLA)

I rang DVLA and asked what to do as I have no receipt for a replacement engine, the donor vehicle V5 was the only proof I ever owned the engine and I sent that to them as it was scrapped a few years ago. I was advised to send in a photo of the engine number in the vehicle and a letter of explanation.

I'm a bit worried because I was told "That should do it" but not that it would definitely work, has anyone used this method with a good result?

Edited by gritineye

Last time I did this I just entered the new info on the V5 and sent it in for amendment. Has something changed?

- MG

Apparently so Mike, you now have to provide a receipt for the engine if you change fuel types, but I've just found this which says Historic vehicles are given an easier time, maybe that's why yours wasn't questioned.

The February newsletter of the FBHVC announced the DVLA change of policy for Historic Vehicle engine changes and anticipated that there may be difficulties:

"Verification of Engine changes.

This was a subject that has been causing some difficulties. DVLA have now made a statement as follows:

‘I note that the issue of evidence to support notifications of engine change also features [in the list of questions]. As you are aware, this was raised at the recent meeting with the Minister. I am pleased to confirm that this policy has been reviewed and that it will no longer be necessary for keepers of vehicles in the Historic class - date of manufacture before 1 Jan 1973 - to provide evidence to support an engine notification. Grateful if you can pass this information on to your members’.

All credit must go to David Hurley and Geoff Smith of the Federation for being able to do promote a ‘top down’ approach to resolve this problem.It is anticipated that DVLA will need time to brief their staff of this change in policy, and update their internal and external documentation.

In the unlikely event that an engine change for a vehicle with the taxation class of Historic Vehicle is rejected by DVLA, please send a copy of the rejection letter to the Federation. This should enable the Federation to have the rejection letter retracted, and enable DVLA to re-brief the staff member who sent out the rejection letter. If it is a ‘verbal’ rejection, then the name of the DVLA staff member and the name of the office will be helpful."

The Federation Secretary is Rosy Pugh, Stonewold, Berrick Salome, Wallingford, Oxfordshire. OX10 6JR

EDIT: that quote was dated July 2011so I guess they haven't got around to briefing staff yet!

Edited by gritineye

If some readers are a bit confused as to what the fuss was about, I'd heard tales of V5s being withheld until evidence was produced, which in some cases was impossible. This is from the GOV.UK website:

dvla evidence needed.JPG

https://www.gov.uk/change-vehicle-details-registration-certificate/what-evidence-to-give

Edited by gritineye

I have hit this with the "new" SUMB - unfortunately a previous owner didn't update the V5 at the time they changed the V8 Petrol for a Volvo Diesel. Fortunately I have only paid a deposit but I wonder in the worst case if anyone has tested whether "a letter on headed paper from a garage" can be from a garage that inspected the engine now (which can be done easily) or has to be by the garage that did the original engine change ?

Originally I was content to wait for the vendor to sort the V5 but he now needs to clear the site where it is stored and I face the choice of losing my investment in parts purchased to restore it when it goes to scrap instead, or paying the balance and taking it without a correct V5 and sorting the issue myself.

Iain

Edited by g0ozs
add explanation

• 1 month later...

This is all news to me! Back when I was doing lots of engine changes (like for like as well as petrol to diesel etc.) it always used to be a big fight to actually get DVLA to change anything on the V5 - the number of times I've had to send a V5 back to them to get changes to 'stick'...

• 3 weeks later...

I have just changed the engine capacity and engine number on the V5 for my Diamond T with no hassle at all, the new V5 landing on the door mat 3 weeks after posting. I think engine changes become more complicated where the vehicle has to be mot'd. the DVSA need to know the type/age/fuel of the engine with proof so that the computerised mot system can be updated so that the correct emission test can be applied at the time of mot test.

• 6 years later...

Hi I have two suzuki gs motorcycle from the eighties on I have as a doner bike and wanted to change the engine I have owned theses bikes for some years now three time I have sent the logbook off to dvla to change the engine number and they still haven't done so what can I do to change this I dont have a receipt for them