6Lb of bronze from HMS Burghead Bay

Great War truck

This is the makers plate from the Bristol based ship builder Charles Hill and Sons for the frigate HMS Burghead Bay.

DSCN1077_zps2ec673e5.jpg

Laid down on 23 September 1944 she was launched 3 March 1945. Decommissioned in 1958 she was sold to Portugal in 1959 and scrapped in 1971. How the makers plate got back to Cornwall is not known. Perhaps it was removed when it was sold to Portugal?

Anyway, what makes this interesting to us is that it was recently acquired by Tony. His Father (my grandfather) was employed by Charles Hill and sons building Bay class frigates at that time so would undoubtedly have worked on this ship. A wonderful memento for us to have.

Tim, that's a really nice plate and as you say a wonderful memento, but is 'maker's plate' the right description? Would the maker's plate no have had built by, date, specifications, things like that? What would the purpose of this have been? Is it more a name plate or something commemorative? I know nothing about ships really, so I'd be interested to know.

Bronze plaques were made and presented to each Naval ship – the idea and design of Mrs. Charles Hill, the wife of the then Chairman.

Each plaque bears the name of the vessel and the motto “Shipshape and Bristol Fashion” with the centre depicting the appropriate flower in the case of corvettes and the River Avon for the River class frigates. The plaques for the Loch and Bay classes depict a loch and bay respectively.

It seems that two plaques were originally made for each vessel and towards the end of the war when materials allowed a third was made which was presented to the lady who launched the ship.

At the SS Great Britain museum (which is next to the site of Charles Hill ship yard) there is I understand a display of Charles Hill builders plaques. I must go there again as I have not been there for years.

Edited by Great War truck