Churchill photo book

Scammell4199

About a year ago a work colleague gave me a photo book produced by Tamiya on the Churchill tank, presumably as a modellers aid.

I thought there would probably be some people on here interested, so always intended on scanning and posting it here, but due to starting my own business have only just got round to it.

Can anyone spot the link to a certain upcoming cinematic release?

So, here it is. Enjoy. Richard

1_zps84d4336f.jpg

2_zps74f17364.jpg

3_zps426fc1f5.jpg

4_zpsac2c053f.jpg

5_zpsaa298c42.jpg

6_zpsf2c35dcc.jpg

7_zpsbdce22c7.jpg

8_zps5b0dab3e.jpg

9_zpsd82d198f.jpg

10_zps08cc7513.jpg

11_zpsc3bccc5d.jpg

12_zps23b0fae2.jpg

13_zps9ed5eb83.jpg

14_zps539392e3.jpg

15_zpse7f72b34.jpg

16_zpsc3b70fd6.jpg

17_zpsb7979202.jpg

18_zps851c6b6e.jpg

19_zpsc2f3c9c9.jpg

20_zpsd64255da.jpg

I have this booklet and it's very detailed, well worth picking one up on ebay if Churchill's are your thing.

mk4 avre turret "fury" is the film you mention no doubt. there's a pic of it in a brick courtyard with a plate welded over the hole in the side but I don't know where it is maybe chatham ?

rick

I have this booklet and it's very detailed, well worth picking one up on ebay if Churchill's are your thing.

mk4 avre turret "fury" is the film you mention no doubt. there's a pic of it in a brick courtyard with a plate welded over the hole in the side but I don't know where it is maybe chatham ?

rick

May I ask from where did you get that Tamiya Booklet ?

Looks a cracking read :) I think the Churchill is often looked down on nowadays but to be fair it was good old bruiser of a tank and didn't serve us too badly .....I'd go as far as too say equally as well as the Sherman ? ....there were a few notable 'disasters' I guess.... Hill 112 being one of them? but....if Shermans had been used in the same action against the same well sited .88s?...... the result wouldnt have been any different I think.

......anyways !....a great shame she's been sort of 'downgraded' in many peoples opinion as 'yet another British tank failure ' perhaps ?.... :)

I think dieppe was the mission that put a bad spin on the Churchill but although the raid was a failure the tank performed well. out of 29 that were landed 15 managed to break into the town and cause havoc among the germans before returning to the beach to be re embarked but the ships didn't come back for them and eventually the crews ran out of ammo and surrendered. one thing to note was that no churchills were penetrated by the german guns but I must admit to being a bit of a Churchill fan so don't take my word for it buy the book :)

rick

British wartime tanks don't deserve the stick that they get. Personally I'd say the Churchill was better than the Sherman, but it's not really a comparison you can make (Infantry tank versus Medium Tank, designed for different reasons)

Edited by Lauren Child

Why do you say that Lauren?

From what I understand the Churchill had a lower profile, greater crew survivability and greater terrain crossing capability, but then they were made for different jobs.

I don't say that to be negative of the Sherman design, just that of the two those are factors that I'd appreciate. Both did the job well with the constraints that the designers were under and the needs of the time.

All points I agree with! Indeed, Churchill was as fast cross country as Sherman, a point often missed by those who decry it for lack of speed.

6 pdr firing APDS had a considerably better armour penetration that 75mm too. But that's progress for you!

Just out of interest ... what was the weight of the projectile from the 75mm and also the 76mm from the Sherman guns? ....

How much do you want for it, Peter?

Seems to be suffering of mold/mildew at the top of the pages....

Any idea of the cost of postage from the UK to Lidingo/Stockholm, Sweden?

I like the cut-out image of the Churchill, that would look nice printed on cotton canvas and put on the wall of my study =)

Goran N

Off the top of my head it is about 16-17 lbs. APDS scored by being very dense, having a high velocity and being able to sustain that velocity due to a smaller frontal area.

Kinetic energy is affected by an increase in velocity much more that an increase in mass.

I have to say that I don't know very much about the guns at all. Are there any good books on the subject of tank guns?

lauren have you seen this site before http://www.wwiiequipment.com/pencalc/ quite interesting, how accurate it is I don't know but it gives a fair idea I suppose.

I read an article about a captured tiger in Italy being dragged down to a beach and being used for gunnery practice with a 6pdr firing sabot and it penetrated the front at 800yards (not that surprising really when you think the armour was only 100mm). I put it into the gun vs armour calculator and it came up with something similar so it probably isn't too far out .

Great pics thanks for posting....

But I also notice it was purchased from Beatties which brings back a few happy memories of annual trips to the Bull Ring branch in Birmingham, usually in the run up to Christmas! I could never afford the things I wanted, and now I can afford the things I want I dont have time...c'est la vie!!