FWD SU COE GS ‘Trudo’

TooTallMike

So, here is my new project truck.

P8160110_zpsc35e1009.jpg

For those who do not recognise the type, it’s a wartime FWD SU COE GS truck. It is dated around 1944 and is a very original and pretty un-molested example. The front winch is not original and apparently is from a Cletrac. I do not intend to remove it as I like trucks with winches, it is very well installed and it doesn’t look too out of place.

The truck is thought to have served on an airbase in Belgium prior to being acquired by the Fire Brigade (Brandweer) of the town of Sint Truiden. It is still partially sign-written in their colours and has a PTO and drop box installed under the middle, presumably to drive a pump. I found the photo below of another FWD in service with the same Fire Brigade and assume mine must have looked similar.

SintTruidenBrandweerFWD_zpsfb363ab1.jpg

I say ‘another FWD’ as I do not think this is my truck: mine has only one layer of red paint over the military green and the sign-writing is very different to that shown in the photo. The green paint showing underneath does not look to have been rubbed down so if it was re-badged and re-lettered the old writing must have been very carefully removed first. Mine does however have two whitewall tyres on the rears! This all remains to be investigated further as I plan to contact the Fire Brigade to see if they have any more information and photos. The name ‘Trudo’ is written in script on the side of the cab and seems to be a nickname or abbreviation for the town name. This will be replicated after any re-paint. I have rubbed down some of the paint on the doors and sadly the original military markings do not seem to be there.

The interior is very original and appears to have been un-touched since its military days. The only additions are a pressure gauge with a copper pipe leading back to the back of the cab, perhaps relating to the pump, as well as direction indicators and a couple of extra switches for things like roof beacons and work lights.

Mechanically it seems to have been well maintained with everything greased up and moving freely. It still has the original Waukesha engine which now runs after I rebuilt the carb and flushed the fuel system. It would need new hoses and the rad needs a re-core but it’s basically sound. However I am also considering a diesel conversion to a 180hp charge air cooled Cummins B.

The plan is to repair the tiny amount of rot in the cab lower front corners, bash out the dents in the roof, remove the few extra welded brackets, repair the damaged LH wing, paint the cab exterior and chassis in drab green and fit a suitable body. A genuine body is not going to be an option and I’m not prepared to invest in building one. Ideally I’d like to find a decent Matador body as these are very similar but I doubt there are any out there not already spoken for. If anyone knows differently please let me know? Otherwise I’d settle for a cargo body from something like an M35 REO as it wouldn’t look too out-of-place. The body needs to be 2.4m(ish) wide and 4m(ish) long so any offers or other suggestions would be appreciated. Below is a photo of how it should look.

sm6175-31_zpsff59b983.jpg

I need four new tyres for this truck and fancy a set of 14:00 x 20 XZLs so if anyone has a set for sale please let me know.

- MG

Edited by TooTallMike

• 6 months later...
Did you ever do the engine conversion on this truck?

Hi Russ,

Not done it yet. Most of the bits are sitting on the back or alongside it, but customers' engine conversions have to take priority. Hoping to get onto it this winter.

Drop me a PM if you want yours done!

- MG

Mmmm i'd like to keep mine original when I ever do anything with it. Someone put a link on here about 10months ago to a link for 2 Waukesha SRKR engines, which the FWD's are. I'm currently persuing them as mine - due to the elements and sitting outside for 20years or so - has probably seen better days! What would you do with your petrol lump when you get round to the conversion?

Cheers

Mmmm i'd like to keep mine original when I ever do anything with it. Someone put a link on here about 10months ago to a link for 2 Waukesha SRKR engines, which the FWD's are. I'm currently persuing them as mine - due to the elements and sitting outside for 20years or so - has probably seen better days! What would you do with your petrol lump when you get round to the conversion?

Cheers

I was going to keep it to go with the truck, but since the people who have first and second refusal on it want it diesel, I'm sure I could be persuaded to sell it on. I've had it running long enough to know it doesn't knock but the hoses were too perforated to run it for very long! PM me if you're interested and I'm sure we can work out a deal.

- MG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Thanks, first thing on the to do list is get it running under its own steam. You can still smell the original smell in the cab!! This hopefully will work hand in hand with my other FWD whenever the time to restore it comes as I have all the patters I need on either truck :)