Roof hatch on post-war vehicles

Sean N

Question

As far as I know the roof hatch / hip ring / cupola / whatever you want to call it on post war vehicles was just an observation hatch, and this seems to be borne out by the total lack of anywhere to attach any kit to on, say, an RL or similar.

However a few vehicles - I'm thinking of K9s specifically - had brackets with a ball shaped mount on. Were these for mounting weaponry or just something innocuous like a searchlight? Has anyone ever seen - or got any photos of - anything with kit mounted on it in period?

17 answers to this question

Clive, Wally, thanks.

Wally, I don't recall ever having seen these mounts on an RL or Q4, and I can't find any on a quick Google either. Any on a Commer cab Ford would probably have rusted away before anyone had a chance to mount something on them.

Clive, unless there's a bit I can't see, that Humber mount looks different.

The ball type mount I refer to is conspicuous on this photo of a K9, particularly if you view it full size. One above the passenger side A post on the bracket silhouetted against the sky, one above the driver's side wiper blade:

http://visitbrighouse.com/brighouse1940sweekend/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2013/01/Austin_K9_Dave_Carten_web.jpg

Anyone got a photo or exploded diagram of something fitted to it? In practice, were they ever used?

Edited by Sean N

Sean that Humber mount is the only one I have seen. But the owner said it was from drawings he made of one he had seen some years before & this was his interpretation of it. I don't know what the real thing was like but I wonder whether this mount is perhaps not rugged enough.

Anyway my recollections was that the frame he made up was anchored to the roof fittings. These can be seen better on this Humber.

Dsc02129a.jpg

Thanks chaps, interesting. Richard, I hadn't noticed those on early R types, thanks. Must have been deleted on later vehicles (1960s). Clive, yes, that's the style.

I suspect if you three learned gentlemen aren't familiar with the mounted equipment, and there aren't plenty of photos showing it, then the mounts were probably used rarely if at all. I suppose the most likely place to spot them would be in photos in conflict zones.

DUG out a few pictures of the gun mounting points on a few of the vehicles they were fitted to they do differ in design found

the one on the FORD COMMER CAB think it would out last the truck have a picture some where showing the gun mount fitted on the frame on a MILITANT

Thanks Wally.

Interesting that the RL is a very early one (in fact, pre- or very early production, judging by the high headlights). Now I look, of course, rather than working from memory, all the RLs in the manual and user handbook photos have them, of course being early ones as well. Just skimming through a Google image search for RLs, they look to have been deleted by about 1958 or earlier.

The Martian appears to have double mounts, front and rear of the hatch. I see what you mean about the Ford one!

Don't go out of your way, but I'd be interested to see the Militant one if you do find it.