Spw-40p2 (brdm-2)

I had the IR glass on there as well, but on that picture I only have the normal glasses, with the IR glass removed. I want to use the IR headlights as my high beam option with normal glass instead of the IR ones :)

For driving around at events I can install the IR glasses back and remove the registration plate with lights.. It will also get sideindicators and cameras which can easily be removed.. The idea is to have the most practical and safe vehicle as I can on the road to events and restore it back to original once I get there..

That's why I said most practical ... :-D

I always want to be with 2 people when I drive it... with the other standing in the commanders seat to watch out for any danger..

Hope I can get it registered without problems though..

I have the NVA manuals :) And 17 training posters for it..

Will make a picture tomorrow.. It's currently not attached to the louvers anymore since they were not moving.. Got the rear ones and one of the 3 main ones moving.. just 2 left!..

BRDM is a lovely vehicle to drive...you want to try and drive a fug for comparison...now that is a hard vehicle to drive...no vision heavy clutch, awful seating position but even that isnt a par with a skot, now that is one tough vehicle to drive...

BRDM is a lovely vehicle to drive...you want to try and drive a fug for comparison...now that is a hard vehicle to drive...no vision heavy clutch, awful seating position but even that isnt a par with a skot, now that is one tough vehicle to drive...

That's interesting as I had heard it was just the opposite. I have no experience with either, so I'll bow to your expertise in the matter :cool2: .

Matt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Since the last post we got it going, headed to the testing station and blew up the headgasket while going there. Apparently there was a leak and all coolant dissapeared.

So we've since replaced headgasket, replaced points, replaced fuel pump, cleaned fuel tank, replaced various oil and water lines, added cameras and multiviewer on HDMI screen, recored a radiator,replaced mechanical fans with electric ones.. Hopefully in a month we can see about getting it road registered again!

11707488_831936646888003_6644634980421319318_n.jpg

10362516_824812960933705_6146130573897352905_n.jpg

10525771_821455301269471_664491297546106405_n.jpg

11122463_807659472649054_1309993351_n.jpg

11253890_821455311269470_456275610520029932_n.jpg

11258649_807659499315718_1975640783_n.jpg

on my fug the seating position is a night mare, the clutch is heavy and has a lot of travel and its awkward to push it and stay in the seat....it may all be adjustable but the BRDM is heavenly compared to it..and the steering if you dont keep the revs up can become massively heavy if your not careful, ie in the wrong gear which is a pig to fin cause the clutch is hard to use...so you get into more difficulties. but each to their own...OT64 has to be one of the worst driving positions ever..

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On mine, there isn't one.. So I determined the year from the dated parts.. Such as the fuel tanks, light bulbs, electrics etc.. That only works if you know that the vehicle is pretty much original..

How is yours shifting? Do you have a picture of your shift pattern?

im having a tough time getting it in and out of reverse. Do you pull up or push down on th stick to get it into reverse?is double clutching required?

First and reverse aren't synchronized. So they require double clutching. Usually with reverse I stop the vehicle, see if it goes in reverse, if it doesn't, put it in neutral, release the clutch a bit, then depress it again and see if the gears are aligned then. Reverse is "all the way out there" though, quite a long throw to the right and then front.

Because the engine is kind of reversed in the BRDM (gearbox aiming to the front, ancillaries attached to the radiator/rear side) the gear shift pattern is also reversed.

gearpattern.jpg

• Like 1

I don't have many issues with gears, as long as I always double declutch when changing down.

I found the biggest issue is avoiding coasting round corners with the clutch down. It's fatal in BRDM to do that as you loose the power steering. :wow:

Always 'drive' round corners in gear!

Mine has a rather alarming shimmy at about 50kph where the axles feel like they are moving side to side. You can drive through it, but I usually just keep my speed down.

It got a lot of attention at TankFest this weekend just gone as it was parked just by the entrance tent.