1938 dkw rt 100

Ah, the decals (transfers) are only for the 125 RT N.a.

The numbers are frontaxle pressure/wheelbase/rearaxle pressure I believe, have to look that up, but not for the RT100.

Cheers,

Lex

ps numberplates look good, took me a long time to paint them by hand! the "V" on my plates denotes that it was an impressed civilian machine.

Put some decals on the tank today. Might not be a 100% original but i like it and atleast i won't ever forget the oil/fuel ratio. :cool2:

Also painted the cilinder head with heat-proof paint, looks like a complete different engine now.

Also assembled the throttle twist grip. Greased it well so it'll go nice and smooth.

New rubber grips fitted on the handle bars. Just need to put the light switch on the handle bars.

P1040078.jpg

P1040079.jpg

P1040080.jpg

P1040081.jpg

P1040086.jpg

P1040088.jpg

P1040089.jpg

Test fitted the front license plate.

Also painted some more parts including the seat and the footrests

New exhaust arrived, alot heavier than the one that was on it.

This one has 3 tubes inside it for surpressing the noise, should make a lot of difference.

Footrest rubbers arrived together with tank transfers.

Hope to fix the brakes tomorrow so we can put the wheels back on.

P1040101.jpg

P1040102.jpg

P1040103.jpg

Hi Niek,

restoration is going well i see :-)

Looks very nice, however i would have made it black because i still do not found evidence that they ever were delivered field grey.

Or do you have some extra information?

Can you tell me if you've got new spools for the electrics and where you've found them?

I am still looking for a set for the ignition and lighting.

Rgds.

Sjoerd

Hi Sjoerd,

Don't know where to get the spools mine where in quite good condition. I think i saw a set of them a while ago for sale on Marktplaats?

As far as the color goes, i'm not really sure if the geländes originally were black?

Surviving examples seem to be Brown, and a brown layer of paint also revealed underneath the black paint on the gas tank on mine. This DKW has had a previous restoration or atleast a respray indicated by filler (old red type) found on the front mudguards.

As far as field grey goes, i only found this photo of 2 HJ machines which do seem to be painted field grey.

They seem to be quite new machines.

And i also have some pictures of machines that are in use with the WH which are resprayed.

regards,

Niek

HJ_on_RT98_002.jpg

Made some more progress on the DKW.

Went to collect the centerstand. A friend of ours very nicely welded a couple of new bushes on it and recentered it.

The old ones were very badly worn because the stand wasn't centered correctly.

Started with assembling the footrests and brake pedal assembly.

just put the back wheel in to get it up on it's wheels so we could see if the footrests where in the correct position.

P1040117.jpg

Footrests and center stands are now back in place.

Mounted the engine back in the frame. The frame is a lot sturdier now.

Put all the cables in place and started on the electric wiring (well 6 wires in total... :-D spark plug wire not included).

now that it's back on it's stand i can remove the rear wheel and put the mudguard back on first so i can get measurements for the wire for the rear light.

P1040136.jpg

P1040137.jpg

P1040138.jpg

Hi Lex,

Thanks, but got a BSA which needs a repaint after. And once that one's done i can start on a 1943 Dodge D15.

So I can safely say that most of my spare time is taken for the next 3-4 years :D.

Had a look at the gearbox, it says 4-36. If i look at the engine number it also dates it as a 1936 /1937 engine.

Haha, only joking!! will do it one day, for the moment it's running and braking, only the rear wheel bearings are shot, have to replace by modern ones I guess.

The guy you bought the Deek off, has now made some sump plates, will ask him about the price, but they were not ready yet today.

Cheers,

Lex