The restoration of Dailmer Ferret 01DA04

CaptMax

This is the restoration of my first military vehicle, a Daimler Ferret 01DA04. In early June of 2014 a friend found this Ferret at "General Jim's", an army surplus store in Clare Michigan. He sent me some pictures and told me what they were asking for it. I went the following week and looked it over myself after doing some research on them. I then sent a good friend of mine "Gunner" to look it over as he had owned two of them in the past and is very knowlegable on armored vehicles. Gunner convinced me that it was a "smoking deal" and that I should buy it. This is when I seriously started researching the internet to learn all I could about them.

On July 1st, 2014 I contacted the Bovington Tank Museum in Dorset UK and inquired about the Ferrets history. After providing them with the British number assigned to the Ferret "DA 01 04" and along with a small fee they were able to send me the complete history of the vehicle. I am the second "civilian" owner since it was sold by the British government. It was found to be in the 10th Hussars, the Royal Grey Scots, as well as the notable Royal Green Jackets. This Ferret has some great history compared to most, even having been in the Falkland war of 1982.

In early July I spoke with the stores owner about the price and terms he could offer me, we struck a deal and shook hands on it. I started selling several items from my military collection as I did not want to borrow money to purchase it. Over the next two months I would pay an occasional trip to General Jim's and put money down on the Ferret. Eventually on July 31st, 2014 it was mine.

I had been making a list of items I needed, mostly maintenance items like batteries, plugs, oil, antifreeze, filters ect. The Ferret was about 95% complete when purchased including the rare flare launchers and the sand channels. Several of the items like the spark plugs could only be located in the UK and as such the shipping was a killer. After gathering parts I am ready to begin the work needed to start the restoration. I had a friend with a rollback wrecker pick up the Ferret and deliver it to Gunners shop 100 miles north of me. Several guys said I took it to the right person which made me feel better, but I did have faith in him regardless. Within two days Gunner called to say the turret was off and he had begun working on lubricating all the latches, hatches, and brackets as they were pretty stiff due to not being used in several years.

In less than a week Gunner called to tell me he had started the Ferret!!! Now when I purchased this the seller informed me that it did run but that it had been 7 years since.

I will continue to add to this thread as the project progresses, and will include pictures when possible. If you have questions please ask and I will try and answer them. How lucky I was to find this for my first military vehicle, and originally I was only looking for a jeep to restore.

CaptMax

DSCN5970_zps6bc73831.jpg

movingDAY_zps2b6453eb.jpg

turretoff_zps6af9c804.jpg

photo2_zps7f2f469b.jpg

photo5_zps05128f6a.jpg

Edited by CaptMax

Had to get all the hatches working as they were really tight, it took both hands and your feet to get them open before.

It was running earlier but am getting ready to change the oil (3.5gals), install new plugs, filters, and a then a whole lot more to do. :D

CaptMax

photo1_zps108f0070.jpg

photo02_zpsc74202a7.jpg

photo3_zpsb109ed66.jpg

Found a few more accessories "Thanks to a couple friends". First aid box is complete, even have an AFV crewman helmet to go with the coveralls.

Turret weighs about a half ton, will be restoring the Browning mount next with pictures to follow.

CaptMax

firstaidbox_zps5be353fd.jpg

inventory_zps55ea0110.jpg

contents_zps1dccd938.jpg

DSCN6124_zps1e5a9aee.jpg

photo1_zps019e9792.jpg

photo1_zpsd00a766c.jpg

photo2_zps56892a32.jpg

Welcome to the world of Ferrets.

I am east of you, and would be interested in that piece of canvas with the rope around it which is the cover for a Mk1 which I have.

I would prefer email for comms on such purchases but here is ok also.

Willingly I will buy surplus bit if I can use them.

Ferrets are on the upswing these days

If you want to chat by phone I will happily indulge a call.

Nice workshop.

Regards

Robin

To my Canadian friends Robin & Nick, "Thank-you" for the compliments, it is reassuring and helps keep me motivated. This includes "Toner" & "Obitwo" as well, "Thank-you". This project is going well but is slow due to my current work schedule. I have sourced a few more items and will be posting some more pictures soon. I now have both battery boxes completed and two new "big" Interstate batteries installed. When I finally get a Larkspur or Clansman radio installed I should have no problem powering it. The plan is to have this completed by springtime if all goes well. I will soon be pulling the power pack to detail and repaint, as well as sandblast the hull and all the cargo boxes. Another friend gave me 10 gallons of the good old "red lead" primer so that will be my base coat for the paint. Would anyone happen to have a picture of the camouflage paint job they used in the Falkland Invasion of 1982?

CaptMax

DSCN6132_zps77bc3a69.jpg

Edited by CaptMax

Hi. Although I'm still relatively new to all of this and as some of the others have said, Welcome Aboard. I acquired a

MK 2/3 Ferret last fall and shortly thereafter joined this forum. I'm located in Mississauga, Ontario. The forum is loaded with great people and a wealth of knowledge. The numerous vehicle restoration threads on this forum have provided a never ending source of motivation to carry-on with all the work that needs to be done on my Ferret. After fixing a number of issues that kept me off the road, I've been able to drive it on a regular basis since late August. Loads of fun and no regrets about having purchased the Ferret. Look forward to reading more about your restoration and perhaps we'll be able to meet up some day.

Best Regards, Terry.

Hi. Although I'm still relatively new to all of this and as some of the others have said, Welcome Aboard. I acquired a

MK 2/3 Ferret last fall and shortly thereafter...

Best Regards, Terry.

Oh no! Another Terry, with a similar Avatar. How will they ever tell us apart? :D

Cheers,

Terry

• 3 weeks later...

CaptMax,

Welcome to the forum and to Ferret ownership....I am very happy for you to have found the history of yours...Thank you for sharing all the pictures.....

It is a great hobby and as you have already found other wonderful people around the world that own Ferrets and are willing to help a fellow Ferret owner out..

Mine is located just south of Chicago...

I am looking to locate crew members and pictures of mine...It is a 1954 Canadian MK1..Canadian reg 54-82586.Possible UNEF 1216...

Edited by joeferret

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A few more small parts restored. I will pull the power pack soon and commence with the detailing, when I do I will post more pictures. The Browning is also finished and will be installed as soon as I have the mount restored. Been busy with work and with the holidays coming I haven't had much time to work on this except for the small stuff. The periscopes are also done but I didn't take any pictures of them yet, will do that in my next post.

CaptMax

DSCN5753_zpscc158e52.jpg

DSCN6177_zps5da39e3f.jpg

DSCN6075_zpsa760037d.jpg

DSCN6178_zpsa5a5275f.jpg

DSCN6133_zpsf03521fa.jpg

• 3 months later...
I just realized I had not posted the history of my ferret. I acquired the information from the Bovington Tank Museum in Dorset UK. Here are the papers. And "Thank-you" for the warm welcome joeferret, I appreciate it.

CaptMax

01DA04419A_zps8285e356.jpg

01DA04419B_zps2a3a357e.jpg

419B01DA04_zps387f283c.jpg

How did you get the service history papers from Bovington? Is there a form to fill out or do you have to call someone?

Joe, it is going very well. I have been documenting the work over at another forum as it is too much to keep updating all the forums I am on. I have most of the interior work done and am getting ready to pull the engine and transmission. It is slow going but I am seeing progress finally. I will post a few pictures here so you can see some of my work.

CaptMax

like%20new_zpskjqstbtt.jpg

DSCN6178_zps9fd75c7d.jpg

DSCN6173_zps2d090f49.jpg

DSCN6177_zps05cf401a.jpg

IMG_0503_zps7e8bbd7d.jpg

fronthatchafter_zps5fd2b9c7.jpg