1944 Bedford OYD

peter75

034.jpg

I am rebuilding a 1944 Bedford OYD and so far have got most of the back half done. I have removed the tipping gear and welded the rear chassis back on and replaced a missing cross member where the ram was mounted. I have had to replace the axil casting as some one had hammed the right hand threads so the hub nuts would not remove! the body had been extended by 2ft using a section from another body.

my next job is to strip the cab and engine off and see what I find.

peter

Edited by peter75

I started at the back because it had a lot of alterations to put right, where as the cab and front are very original. I can now use the back to keep parts together when I take the front apart.

here are some pictures of the work so far.

077.jpg

these show the removal of the ram and work needed on the chassis

004.jpg

these show the repaired chassis with replacement woods to mount the body, the replacement axle casting and the rebuilt axle

029 (2).jpg

these show the assembly of the body frame, the fitting of the new side panels and the new floor fitted.

I hope to get started on the front end in the next week or two following harvest and drilling.

peter

058.jpg

069.jpg

140.jpg

192.jpg

004 (2).jpg

025 (2).jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got chance to have a go at the OY to day. The cab rear window has been cut out larger and the track for the shutter removed.

005.jpg

so i decided to try to make a new track. first i tried to make it in one go and bend the curve but it did not work.

007.jpg

I then had a go a making it in 4 bits which has worked well although still some work to do.

017.jpg

peter.

008.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

This Thread hives my good memories, I had to do almost the same work on my QL.

The repairs on the missing chassis parts (rear and cross section), make the cargo body and now I see you also have to repair the rails for the rear cabin hatch.

Very nice project and look out to new post on your OY restoration .

IMG_0332.jpg

You can still find my postings on this forum about my Bedford QL.

Guy.

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

Good job Peter I like your phased approach to the restoration, you can see positive progress with each completed phase something that isn't always possible if everything is taken apart and pilled in heap in the back of the workshop.

Sadly Iv'e seen a number of people fail with projects because they didn't adopt your method of working.

Keep posting progress

regards

Pete

Thanks for the positive comments.

I have spent the weekend trying to take the cab apart, so far I have removed the top half of the cab, but even with heat and an impact driver I still had to drill some of the screws out of the door posts.

I also got the drivers side and center floor removed but every thing put up a fight!

The wood frame is in a mess, with dry rot, wood worm and to top it off rats have chewed what was left but it is all there as a pattern.

I also stripped the drivers windscreen frame to see how bad it is and if I think it was repairable. I think I can do something with it, I have a N,O,S windscreen for the other side.

048.jpg

peter

049.jpg

060.jpg

Hi Richard, this is the OY from Staplehurst, Kent.

Peter

Hi Peter,

I thought that I recognised it. A friend dragged me over to look at it about 2 or 3 years ago. I recognised the hole in front of the nearside windscreen and body extended forward. In fact I had seen it before that in a farmyard near to my work. My friend did not have a wasted journey though, as he bought a rather nice Austin lorry parked beside the OY.

You are doing a good job, I can appreciate having had a good inspection of it.

regards, Richard

• 2 weeks later...

I have repaired the floor plate which goes over the gear leaver. It had 2 holes cut in it for leavers, one for the PTO and the other operated the tipper. The plate was also bent as the leaver had been pulled so hard that it had pulled the fixings out of the wooden frame.

009.jpg

I have also repaired the back window and fitted the track. The window had been cut larger so i cut it out to the edge of the pressing and replaced it.

032.jpg

Peter.

006.jpg

008.jpg

023.jpg

024.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have been working on the weather strip round the left door and the post at the side of the left windscreen.

there was a lot of rust under the weather strip between the spot welds that had lifted the strip. using a needle scailer with the pressure shut down I was able to knock the rust out and push the strip back.

029.jpg

Peter.

016.jpg

003.jpg

002.jpg

I've seen the OY in the flesh so to speak and Pete is doing a fantastic job, his metal work is second to none. Nice to see you on HMVF Pete, keep up the posts, you will soon shame me into collecting my Loyd axle and getting on with it!

• 4 weeks later...

I have finally got the top half of the cab welded ready for shot blasting.

I have had to remove and repair the bar between the windscreens which was very rotten. I have replaced the back plate and repair the front bit. To do this I have had to refit the cab roof twice.

I have also done lots of little repairs which has taken a lot of time.

016.jpg

025.jpg

Peter.

002.jpg

010.jpg

I hope to start repairing the doors tomorrow.

I have striped one of the doors tonight which went well, I had not done an OY door before but a mate had told me how to do it.

most of the bottom edge has either rotted away or is very thin. Also I will have to work out the curve where the door skin meats the bottom edge.

017.jpg

Peter.

018.jpg

019.jpg

022.jpg

Great job pete,

your works outstanding, look forward to some pictures of the QL haven't seen her in ages!

Hi Bill, I will start the QLT as soon as the OY is done. I am just collecting parts and making contacts at the moment. the only work done so far is the rear body frame as the body I got as a pattern was past best and I had to unload off the bail trailer for harvest and I was worried it would drop to bits. I am looking forward to starting it especially as there is very little welding to do to the cab. when I get started you will have to come and have a look.

Peter.

Managed to get a 4ton Shelley jack and 2 of the 3 sections of handle, just need to find another for my QL now.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]98947[/ATTACH]

Peter.

Your restoration is looking top notch, Peter! Fantastic attention to detail! Where are you based?

Just one thing on the Jack... Is it not the Britool / Ern Lake type of Jack you need for the OY? The 4 ton type? of the same design as the one you gave pictured earlier in the thread?

You may know more than me on this...