1944 Bedford OYD

peter75

• 11 months later...

I have finished the tooling to press the ribs in the right hand engine splash plate and have made a good start on the left hand tooling but the belt on my drill is slipping and will have to be replaced.

I have got a right hand plate almost done, it just needs fitting but there is a small bracket on each plate that I need to find.

attachment.php?attachmentid=125481&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=125482&stc=1

Peter.

DSCN1733.jpg

DSCN1734.jpg

Hi Peter

The plates look very good, i think i may be able to help with the brackets you need i think there may be some on the patterns i have for the splash plates i will check and let you know

Nicky

Hi Nicky.

I have the brackets all painted up just need to find them.

Peter.

The tooling is made from 8mm plate and I use a 30ton bottle jack to press.

I will make a few extra sets to cover the costs of the tooling.

Peter.

Thanks for the explanation and photos nice piece of tooling there, one more question how do you ensure an even pressure across the top dia?.

The reason I ask is that some years ago I had to make a throttle pedal with pressed ribs and made a similar set up but found that the point load from the press needed to be equally spread over the top die face to get good clean pressing, the work piece was relatively small so I used a chunk of 1" steel on top of the die plate. The plates you are producing are much bigger and look to have a very even pressure distribution nice piece of work :thumbsup:

Pete

Thanks for the explanation and photos nice piece of tooling there, one more question how do you ensure an even pressure across the top dia?.

The reason I ask is that some years ago I had to make a throttle pedal with pressed ribs and made a similar set up but found that the point load from the press needed to be equally spread over the top die face to get good clean pressing, the work piece was relatively small so I used a chunk of 1" steel on top of the die plate. The plates you are producing are much bigger and look to have a very even pressure distribution nice piece of work :thumbsup:

Pete

Hi Pete.

These plates are only 1mm although I did lay a 18" squire 12mm plate over the top of the tooling and pressed over the centre of each of the 3 ribs.

When I have done thicker plate in the past I have kept moving the jack along the tooling and pressing each time.

You need to put the time in to the tooling to get it right. It needs to be a close fit to get a good crisp Finnish but to close and you and you cut the rib out.

Peter.

Thanks for the answer Peter as I said previously very nice work.

For me this sort of topic provides the real value of web forums, it lets everyone share knowledge and skills that would take a life time to learn before the advent of the web.

Keep posting the progress Peter

Pete

• 1 year later...

It's been a while since I I've worked on the OY as it has been blocked in the greenhouse. I did get it cleared around the front early this year. 

As the shed was freezing and my back is playing up I decided to sort some cab parts out today, I have a potbelly stove in the greenhouse.

There seems to be a lot of work that's been done that I've not posted. All the cab tinwork has been shot blasted and is in primer, also most of the new wood for the cab frame is cut and I now need to build up the cab so I can fit the new wood frame. I have found most of the new and old cab wood frame although the left side of the truck has had a crash and some of the floor frame has been replaced and is not correct. Also the rear cab mount was badly bent and has been replaced. 

I have also found a NOS driver's windscreen frame along with some other parts.

Peter.

IMG_20181125_120431.jpg

IMG_20181125_161942.jpg

IMG_20181125_211812.jpg

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
8 hours ago, Piotr said:

Hi Peter,

Just discovered this OYD in the Netherlands. Untouched and mostly complete (hood and extra cab inclued). Original markings present.

May I ask you for a contact details ? I would like to restore that truck. 

P.

Bedford2.jpg

Bedford4.jpg

Bedfrod6.jpg

Hi piotr.

Sorry I have not replied to you P,M, yet but I work on a farm and I'm busy harvesting.

Peter.