Ordnance in St Albans

fv1609

An impressive picture of an explosion, but what exactly is going on? Are there UXO's detonating, or is a collection of probably inert ordnance being destroyed with HE as a precautionary measure because those are the safety protocols followed by the EOD team? (Or both?)

Perhaps the 'heritage crimes' mentioned have more to do with Roman coins than live shells?

An impressive picture of an explosion, but what exactly is going on? Are there UXO's detonating, or is a collection of probably inert ordnance being destroyed with HE as a precautionary measure because those are the safety protocols followed by the EOD team? (Or both?)

Perhaps the 'heritage crimes' mentioned have more to do with Roman coins than live shells?

Well , that is the hardware evidence for any Court prosecution gone , how would a EOD Officer's inventory be of any use ?? , you need to get any evidence accepted by the court - somebody may wish to challenge what will be stated as evidence, no primary evidence available ! - if it goes so far as Court..

Don't believe everything you read in the press! Did any of that stuff look dug up? Where was all the 'items' stolen from protected site? Take this with a pinch of salt!

Well, from the pictures I have seen from the media reports, among all the stuff that looks legitimate and the ammunition that probably spent 50 years in someone's drawer in a shed or on a mantlepiece, there were some gun remains of some kind that looked dug up, as well as a fair few grenades and grenade fragments that looked very corroded. It could be that the heritage items were things like grenade fragments from former training areas, and there would be no need to destroy those elements.

I would imagine that they destroyed the risky stuff like the live ammunition, will confiscate the dug up stuff with no provenance, and will let them have the rest back if they have whatever paperwork you need for that kind of stuff.

trevor

No doubt some local worthy reported him to the State.

In a local paper in Lancashire an incendiary bomb was taken into a school as part of a 'What our relatives might have done in the War project' The thermite core had been removed years ago all it was, was just a metal cylinder. It was blown up by bomb disposal !

I don't suppose it has to be someone local, could be they were seen detectoring and digging on someone's land. I mean, if I came home and found someone digging something up in my lawn I might report them - or insist that they stay and do the weeding at least ;)

trevor

Don't believe everything you read in the press! Did any of that stuff look dug up? Where was all the 'items' stolen from protected site? Take this with a pinch of salt!

Yes very big pinch of salt...

What type of rusty ordnance are English Heritage concerned about? They aren't interested having archaeological site reports being written up and published. The press have been given a line and with their love of elaboration of any facts have made this story sound like survivalists / terrorists hoarding explosives. And with the usual Keystone cops approach, have targeted easy perps'.

I have come across people with live ammo in their collection and have duly advised them to get rid. But have also come across the really bizarre when people think any ordnance is dangerous, even when your show them the item is a bit of shiny brass with no 'bang juice.'