My ongoing battle with our Land Rovers.

.303fan

Having Land Rovers, you get friendly with recovery truck drivers ;)

auto1.jpg

road side repairs

41120942-8C15-4FDF-A20A-CC2FC183808E_zpss9eozcz7.jpg

41120942-8C15-4FDF-A20A-CC2FC183808E_zpss9eozcz7.jpg

self recovery is not always handy :(

laden--jedeedhetfout-1.jpg

and your car alarm is old school.

8CDED623-C511-43CE-8513-EAA4D2F95A54_zpss4pfub3i.jpg

another project,

front.jpg

41 painted on a ex army axle...

DSCF0374.jpg

Valves.. as i had no compression on cylinder 1, 2,3 and 4 had around 10 bar each

7EF20879-CE2D-44E8-8D59-0130C2111A2D_zpshhqrgkgm.jpg

more to follow, i am building a engine out of three blocks, mix and match the parts then replace the seized unit,

it needs to run tomorrow night, pictures follow only after the incident with a engine lift hook bend and dropped the engine i was working on, not happy. i was fine, the sump got a dent. after this 109, it is the 88 brakes that need new back plates, hoses master and wheel cylinders and it needs doing before wednesday. i pray for good weather.

The duracell filled up where the gardenhose failed, the trailer was allowed a 2000kg load, there was 3250 on there, did motorway miles in holland too at 40mph.

with the recovery, that was a steering colum failure, the wheel came up and down if you gave it a spin.

It is time to drop a engine in today, tonight it needs to be driving a test round. More pictures to follow :)

Deadline met. i kept on going till 23.30... the engine hoist hook failed me, the engine fell on another sump with a tremor going through the wall and setting my wife in panic mode.

the engine slipped in smoothly, the oil cooler pipe was 2 inches short but re routing some bits made it fit.

all was hooked up and filled , the radiator leaked.

out with the old unit, put a weeping one in, worked in the cold till my body gave up.

today i had a easy restore health day.

tomorrow i need to replace the entire short wheel base brake system, going to be fun, to replace the back plates so the hubs need to come off, bearings repacked with grease, i can check half shafts and have a few days of prepping for mot retest.

in the near future i need some 7.50 x 16 spares, brackets to put tools on etc.

Today i did replace the front back plates, the front axle oil was shiny silver... That truck never had a lot of love in it's life.

next to do is the rear set, check oil, hub bearings etc, the cylinders are cast iron, that was money spend well.

the master is a replacement from bearmach, not a clue on quality, i guess i should be happy it aint britpart.

i need to locate a decent pre loved radiator as i hate the plastic ones with a passion.

Pictures will follow after my laptop gets fixed!

photo4_zps539840b8.jpg

photo3_zps1de11461.jpg

photo2_zpsdf3af737.jpg

photo1_zps0ba9e2d5.jpg

g_zps32f633fa.jpg

just the promised pictures, i worked hard but failed to get the swb to the mot station. i need to find a more friendly station that does not do park brake tests on the rolling road. for aslong as i have to tell him how to test, adjust etc, it ain't worth it.

what are the mot rules on brakes? one pump then pressure is ok?

cheers, Arjan

My wifes 109 passed on the same thing, same tester and mine failed.I am learning the rules of the UK mot laws, it is weird that he missed it on my wifes :( It sorted it self out and it is 1/2 pedal pump to get decent pressure. I am not happy about the rolling road park brake test, the gearbox jumps out of gears after the test.

• 1 month later...

Time for a update. The engine i build up failed, 17 liters of mayonaise in the sump so the head got pulled. A hairline crack appeared under the rocker cover running across three cylinders.

that was not there during the rebuild, i checked with my magnifing lens and all.

i started at six pm, pulled the head from a sorn 88, pulled the head of the 109 and it was torqed up and valve clearance set at one am. The rest got done in the morning with the thought of me getting sleep during the rest of the day. Wrong, auto clutch failed and i drove to pick up a friend... Nice.

Today i need to fix the rear lights and brake lights, checking the earth first....