Mobile Arc Welding Workshop - possibly????

rcking

I feel I first need to put things into context, so please bear with me.

My father, now in his mid 70's has had 'in his care' a Russell Newbery D2 diesel engine since 1960. He is a member of the Russell Newbery register (owners club, really) and they have dated the manufacture of the engine to 1940. These engines were primarily used in narrow-boats (and still are). They are a a low revving high-torque twin cylinder unit. The main focus of the register is for boat-owners - although these engines have been known to be used, attached to generators, as auxiliary or emergency power supplies.

This particular engine is attached to a Metropolitan Vickers (Metrovick) Paradyne arc welding generator (which was not developed until 1937). RN engines were traditionally painted Green and Red - this one has at some point been over-painted in what I can only describe (and quite possibly wrongly) in MOD Grey

When I say it has been in my fathers care, he started work at a scrap yard as their fitter - and found this unit in the back of a Fordson 5 Ton V8 with a 'Luton' type body on it. The body was fitted out with a workbench either side, the engine/generator mounted in the middle, and with shelving around the edge. After a few years, the welding unit was removed from the truck, placed in a workshop and the truck, unfortunately, scrapped.

My father used this for the 20 years that he worked for (and latterly, self employed, did work for) between 1960 and 1980. When the scrap yard closed down, he bought it from them and, having installed it in an old horse-box, continued to use it until 3-4 years ago. He is now getting to the age when he struggles to crank the engine to start it, and has decided to sell it. It is this that has prompted us to try and find out about the history (and origins) of this unit.

having looked round this forum (and others) it seems relatively unusual for Fordsons to be used as military (or support) vehicles - and the mobile workshops I have come across seem to use gas, rather than arc welders.

The scrap yard was started by a Czech national in about 1951 who did buy up various bits of MOD stock for use/scrap, so this (and it's purely guesswork) may have been some kind of military mobile workshop that after decommissioning (and probably spending a number of years in a hangar somewhere), was bought for peanuts.

My father recalls in the 60's travelling to various depots where they had huge sheds/hangars full of unused military vehicles to collect one that had been purchased. He remembers military (or otherwise) personnel having full-time jobs looking after these vehicles - checking tyre pressures, levels etc.

If they are of use to anyone, I have photographs of the power unit, and will gladly share.

I don't know if this information helps anyone fill gaps and answer questions they may have, and would be appreciative if anyone has any information that either confirms (or otherwise) what is largely a theory around this old diesel unit.

If you have got this far - congratulations on your stamina, and thank you for reading to the end! :-)

I don't know anything about this particular type of unit, but I do know that the MOD made use of portable arc welding setups. There is a writeup about a trailer mounted unit in this thread, but the thread covers the restoration of two trailers, so you'll need to get through a bit before you find the Murex trailer:

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?27455-British-WWII-REME-Lightweight-Electrical-Repair-Trailer-Restoration-Project&highlight=murex

Cheers,

Terry

I don't know anything about this particular type of unit, but I do know that the MOD made use of portable arc welding setups. There is a writeup about a trailer mounted unit in this thread, but the thread covers the restoration of two trailers, so you'll need to get through a bit before you find the Murex trailer:

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?27455-British-WWII-REME-Lightweight-Electrical-Repair-Trailer-Restoration-Project&highlight=murex

Cheers,

Terry

Thanks for the pointer Terry, a really interesting article, with some impressive restoration work having gone on!

Cheers

Richard