Can anyone identify this aerial mount?

Sean N

I've had this knocking around for ages; it came with a K9 but I can't see anything on the K9 it would fit.

It's in three main parts, an aluminium aerial mount and two large ceramic insulators. The insulators presumably fit either side of the panel it would be mounted to. The parts are separated by copper washers.

IMG_4449s.jpg

IMG_4450s.jpg

IMG_4451s.jpg

Well, it's HF and remarkably substantial. I suspect it's the Larkspur-era replacement for Aerial Base No.16 and the vehicle was originally fitted for a D11 or D13 transmitter and R230 or the later R234 receiver.

Chris

The Aerial Base No.16 was a mashup of Aerial Base No.3 and a Insulator W/T "H", used with the WS19HP up to the WS53. Base No.3 took the 34-ft steel mast sections, and the Insulator W/T was a big ceramic mushroom type. Because of the voltages involved, the No.3 base was fitted to a metal disk on top of the ceramic insulator and the rubber part was bypassed by four copper braid straps - otherwise it was likely to catch fire.

Chris, thanks. The truck it was out of was FFW SRD11/R234. I'm afraid not knowing anything about radios the second part of your comment is fairly meaningless to me though! Would this have been part of a separate aerial assembly guyed to the ground, rather than mounted on the vehicle?

Chris, thanks. The truck it was out of was FFW SRD11/R234. I'm afraid not knowing anything about radios the second part of your comment is fairly meaningless to me though! Would this have been part of a separate aerial assembly guyed to the ground, rather than mounted on the vehicle?

No, it's a "through the roof" truck mount. I seem to recall there was a metal "V" shaped protector in front of the base to prevent it being damaged by low branches when on the move - but that would be considered part of the radio cabin.

You can see the tip of the aerial in this picture, most of the base is obscured by the "coffin" storage box that holds the side tent when not in use.

K9 Radio Truck

Chris.

I think I may be forgetting.

From the design I thought it should clearly be a through the roof (or through a piece of plate) mount, with the two parts of the ceramic insulator clamping either side of the panel. I couldn't recall anything on a K9 roof that it could fit through, and there certainly isn't anything on the two I still have.

On a K9 there is however an aperture front and centre of the roof with a steel plate over, which has a Vent-Axia fan in. Thinking about it I have a feeling on the SR D11/R234 box this plate also has an aperture that this mount would fit through.

It's all coming back to me now...

I think I may be forgetting.

From the design I thought it should clearly be a through the roof (or through a piece of plate) mount, with the two parts of the ceramic insulator clamping either side of the panel. I couldn't recall anything on a K9 roof that it could fit through, and there certainly isn't anything on the two I still have.

On a K9 there is however an aperture front and centre of the roof with a steel plate over, which has a Vent-Axia fan in. Thinking about it I have a feeling on the SR D11/R234 box this plate also has an aperture that this mount would fit through.

It's all coming back to me now...

The mount is further forward that the Vent-Axia, because it's directly over the aerial tuning unit and there was a glass "bowl" insulator between the top of the ATU and the roof. (You don't want to get any body parts close to the feeder with 250 watts of RF on it, I can assure you.)

A lot of K9s may have been converted to radio relay roles, with C50/R236 (and C70s) fitted. These would have had the insulators removed (as well as the "coffin") and a Clark 12M pump up mast fitted.

Chris.

• 1 year later...
The mount is further forward that the Vent-Axia, because it's directly over the aerial tuning unit and there was a glass "bowl" insulator between the top of the ATU and the roof. (You don't want to get any body parts close to the feeder with 250 watts of RF on it, I can assure you.)

A lot of K9s may have been converted to radio relay roles, with C50/R236 (and C70s) fitted. These would have had the insulators removed (as well as the "coffin") and a Clark 12M pump up mast fitted.

Chris.

This page from the D11/R Installation EMER explains all ...............

Malcolm~[ATTACH]110496[/ATTACH~[ATTACH]110496[/ATTACH

3914_EMER_CI_Q115_AerialInstallation_SR_D11_R230_Austin_K9.pdf