Triumph 3HW Dating

fantictrials

Hello All,

I'm soon to be getting my 3HW and wondered if anyone can provide any further detail about the bike based on the engine and frame number?

Frame TL 51552

Engine 3HW 58725

thanks

Robert

your bike is a late 1944 model October to December , you need to get a copy of "British forces Motorcycles " which lists all the contracts /frame /engine numbers etc,,,armed with a piece of graph paper you can plot it all out and pin point it to a few days...

There is an excellent WD website/forum google WDBSA and post you question there...if you want some Wd biker commarderie

Ed Abbott

Hello Ed. Hello Ian.

Robert until you can find a copy of the book Ed mentioned. Your bike is the 1135th bike from contract C8886 for 3000 built Oct 44- Feb 45. I calculate your tank census number as C4855314. Your engine is from the previous contract S5340. For some reason, Triumph numbered the engines 10.000 ahead of the frame number.

As Ian said there is a date on top of the saddle tube which starts TEC (Triumph Engineering Co).

It's strange because the census numbers for this contract follow on from a contract in 1942, with all other contracts since having higher numbers than yours? Maybe there was some confusion or hold ups in the system after the factory was bombed in 1940 and then the move to temporary premisses in Warwick and another move to the Meriden works???

Ron

Edited by Ron

Robert, I to have recently purchased a 3HW and my Frame number is 48883 and dated Oct 44 under the saddle on the frame facing the rear and yours should be stamped in the same place. Ian

Thanks Ian! I pick up the bike at the weekend and will take a look under the saddle to see what's stamped!

Is your bike a restoration project?

For what it's worth, not certain if the date stamped under the saddle (on the frame) is the frame build-date rather than the complete bike's build date..........after all, stocks of parts were assembled and built into complete machines at some point thereafter, and that could be months later..........:-|

• 3 weeks later...