Cummings Starting problems

david56

Question

My DAF has been standing for a while and I went to start it the other day,

It started first time as usual all sounding quite normal.

It ran as usual while the brakes built up air but It stalled when I attempted to move it.

It wont turn over at all the solenoid just clicks,

the batteries were new last year and have 28v

any body any idea what to do next bearing in mind the lorry is parked close to a wall and the brakes are on lifting the cab is not an option

I thought of attaching a jump lead direct to the starter motor will that do any harm?

David

5 answers to this question

Not familiar with the starter on that Cummins but assuming it's a normal pre-engaged type attaching jump leads will be a little awkward as you also have to bridge the start connection, and if the solenoid's faulty may not help you anyway. If you go straight onto the starter terminal it'll spin immediately without engaging.

Solenoid clicks but no start is typically a solenoid problem but could also be batteries or connections. Are all the terminals tight and clean, and did you do a drop test on the batteries or just check with a voltmeter? If that's all OK chances are it's the internal contacts inside the starter solenoid, either sticking or corroded / burnt.

Be careful bridging / putting jump leads on 24V connections as if the batteries are good and your connections aren't you can make some big sparks and can melt things quickly!

how did it stall, usually the cummins are quite pokie when idling ! was it as you let the clutch up if so are you sure you have not left it in gear. Can you turn the engine physically?

My DAF has been standing for a while and I went to start it the other day,

It started first time as usual all sounding quite normal.

It ran as usual while the brakes built up air but It stalled when I attempted to move it.

It wont turn over at all the solenoid just clicks,

the batteries were new last year and have 28v

any body any idea what to do next bearing in mind the lorry is parked close to a wall and the brakes are on lifting the cab is not an option

I thought of attaching a jump lead direct to the starter motor will that do any harm?

David

David, if your not familiar with testing the system, probably best to disconnect the battery's and recharge, clean all the terminals and check for tightness, if the solenoid still then clicks , that will be the issue, a gentle tap while someone turns the key may free this, you can short the starter on the solenoid terminals to bypass the solenoid , but will need to be confident and quick to avoid sparklers before Nov 5th!