Bedford RL AFS Cargo/troop carrier

HWade

Well Heres another blog for all you Bedford guys and gals, I had this truck come into me for a full chassis up rebuild. Due to the cost of a restoration the owner is spreading it over a longer period of time, which some times we have to do. Phase one was to get the truck stripped and label up various parts and put into storage on the racking until such a time its required for the restoration.Well phase one has been and gone, phase 2 was to get the chassis blasted primed and in gloss black ready for the rebuild, well phase 2 has also been and gone, phase 3 was to run up the engine check her over blast clean paint and service and refit to the chassis. Phase 4 was to get gearbox and transfer box blasted primed and top coated in gloss black, this is where I am at the moment, ive attached a few pics for you to look at. This will be an ongoing restoration as and when i do bits to her, properly be a once a month update. Howard.

gmc pics 1095.JPG

gmc pics 1108.JPG

gmc pics 1107.JPG

gmc pics 1120.JPG

gmc pics 1133.JPG

gmc pics 1123.JPG

Edited by HWade

Dear Howard,

dont worry about the way the pictures came out, great to see how the project has been tackled, I got a few ideas from that.

The chassis came out real nice, amazing what a good clean and paint will do.

Have you seen the video of the AFS exercise held at an RAF camp, long video it was.

I found it again, here is the link

R

Hello Robin

That was an interesting bit of film, bit of an eye opener to the number of vehicles they were using. I have done a bit more today, the fuel tank and some of the linkage arms were blasted primed and top coated in gloss black. Are get these fitted tomorrow early first thing, then its take a break time. Are post a few more pics tomorrow. Howard

rl 002.JPG

rl 003.JPG

rl 004.JPG

rl 005.JPG

Edited by HWade

Awesome work. I really love the look of the RL - They're as rare as hen's teeth here in Australia though, as they were never in service here.

The museum has a RAF RL with a tray back and a crane on it, but it's not green enough for me :D

Cheers,

Terry

Hello Terry thanks for that, Mmm for some reason I attract RL,s ive got an AFS wrecker coming in very sood are post some pics when it arrives. As promised a few more pics of various painted bits and bobs.I may fit the fuel tank today are see. Ive fitted the brackets to the chassis.Howard

RL 002.JPG

RL 003.JPG

RL 004.JPG

RL 005.JPG

Just for you Terry a couple of pics of an RL AFS control unit I restored, these pics dont show with the red and white Chequers but this was done later I had the company that do my stencils come out and wrap them on, a lot easier than painting them. Howard

gmc pics 205.JPG

gmc pics 297.jpg

Thanks Guys, well in between jobs I managed to fit the transfer box back into the chassis, good old block and tackle, also got some of the linkage arms fitted. I also got the fuel tank fitted. I also got the bottom cover to the bell housing painted, along with some other items even a chevrolet Bonnet. All being well the prop shafts are going under the blaster tomorrow. Well thats it for now. Howard

rl 004.JPG

rl 003.JPG

rl 005.JPG

Well the prop shafts were blasted primed and top coated in gloss black today, the hand brake lever and high and low range lever was also blasted and primed, will top coat these in dark bronze green as and when the wheels get done. If my apprentice is up to it the wheels may get done tomorrow, once these are done the truck will go on the back boiler for a while.Howard

RL 002.JPG

RL 003.JPG

RL 007.JPG

Hi Howard,

Looks good - I'll follow with interest! Nice to see another AFS RL on the way to improved health!

Took the petrol carrier to its first show a couple of weeks ago - many admiring glances and comments.

Cheers, Duncan.

Hello Sean, I use a crushed glass medium, you can get it in 3 grades, fine, medium, course.I always use fine and then if i want a real smooth etch I reuse it again, my only complaint about it is that its dusty, as a visitor found out a while back, left his car door window open and it was a windy day. I think theres a few people selling it on ebay.Howard

Hello Sean, I have not had any problems yet, its a case of masking up really well and using correct bungs or making them to fit the hole. I think what ever media you use your going to get some sort of dust.

Regards

Howard

Hi Yes soda is Ok, but ive found it dont like heavy rust or corrosion, it works different to grit in that it explodes on impact and thats what removes the paint ect. Where as grit wares it away. Soda is not cheap either.

Howard