1944 G.M.C bolster truck & trailer restoration.

Hello Bill

Looks like you have a nice project there to keep you busy, dont wish the winter months on us to soon, I have lots to do. Whats your plans for the Bolster, will she stay as is or will you convert her to something else. You can get reprint manuals on Ebay about £21. Just type in GMC CCKW Manual. good luck with the project are be watching! Howard.

Thanks Howard! Sorry for wishing them

so soon but we all no what the English weathers like..

going tl

start on her soon and leave

her original as a bolster truck & trailer, we're abit new with the Yankee stuff as we're always doing british, will post more photos soon!.

thanks baz, I would really apeciate it if you could! ill pm you my email.

weathers really shocking down here so haven't been to the yard today, so hopefully I can get there Wednesday and get some more detailed photos of her, really looking forward on starting!.

ps, ill try and get the photos to come out more straight next time!!.

• 3 weeks later...

fitted a new brake pipe of which the last one corroded and burst, all the other pipes look fine and new, whilst bleeding the brakes, once the brake pedel was touched the engine would make a different noise (I no they always do a little) and then smoke would come out the inlet manifold, but when the brake pedel was let of the noise and smoke stopped.

somehow I think brake fluid is getting up into the inlet manifold, going to check the hydrovac, if that's ok what else could it be?, regards bill.

fitted a new brake pipe of which the last one corroded and burst, all the other pipes look fine and new, whilst bleeding the brakes, once the brake pedel was touched the engine would make a different noise (I no they always do a little) and then smoke would come out the inlet manifold, but when the brake pedel was let of the noise and smoke stopped.

somehow I think brake fluid is getting up into the inlet manifold, going to check the hydrovac, if that's ok what else could it be?, regards bill.

Hi Bill,

Sounds like the hydraulic cylinder on the hydrovac is leaking in to the vacuum cylinder and hence being drawn into the engine. You will have to inspect the cylinder, and overhaul or replace.

Richard

• 1 month later...

Hello Bill

Just a tip get a straight edge and run accross the manifold ports from edge to edge with the intake manifold bolted up, make sure all the ports are flush, if they are not all flush then it would pay you to get it machined level. also if this is done find out what they take off, your need to reduce the depth of the 3 seating rings for the manifold, other wise when you come to nip it up the manifold it wont do up as tight as it should, it will stop on the rings and not the gasket. Hope this helps Howard.

• 2 months later...

Need some help with the breaks.

bled the breaks a few weaks ago, went to pull away and they was jamming on, ovbiously thought they were sticking but once the engine is switched of she rolls freely, which must lead to the hydrovac, some folks said the master cylinder but if the master cylinder was faulty it wouldent leave symptoms like that, it's asif the hydrovacs staying on as soon as the engines switched on, anyone had these problams, any info would be greatly appreciated.

No free play in the pedal, piston can't come right back so brakes come on with servo.

You need one inch of free travel at the pedal with engine off, and it should stay there when the engine is running. If you have free play it might be the piston not returning fully anyway.

Yes there's three play in the peddle, it's quite baffled me if I'm honest, it's a basic set up the vacs been rebuilt but as I was building pressure up whilst bleeding the breaks, I built pressure for quite a while, I'm abit worried I made a valve inside the vac stick, hence when running they come straight on?.