• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The things around the edges appear to be padding that is pleated with buttons, like an old couch, viewed from a high angle (I'd say that they are on the walls of a box like structure and we are looking down upon it). What it is and what it was used for I have no idea.

Cheers,

Terry

Yes Terry quite correct.

standard railway gauge ambulance coach

Yes well done Wally

It was the conversion of a second class passenger carriage for the transport of the sick & wounded on a British railway network. In addition there were specially constructed ambulance carriages, invalid carriages (I'm sorry if that is now considered a politically incorrect term but that is what they were called) and goods waggons.

I have some details I'll post up that cover fitting the conversion into the railway carriage.

Anyone got a date for this maybe?

CLIVE british rail was formed in 1948 but l know the military used ambulance coaches during ww2 ww1 so at a guess

late 1800s

Yes Wally 1875. Although it does make reference to 'British railways' but only in the broadest sense not 'British Railways'. I think there were dozens of railway companies in that era, although we seem to have quite a few nowadays for better or worse..

Only twice have l ever had any thing to do with military railway ambulances one a first world war narrow gauge which was rebuilt in the museum and now resides in Lincolnshire the second was a standard gauge ambulance coach sent to france with the BEF in 1939 captured by the germans and used by them until 1944 and then used by the british in Europe IN the

i980s rescued by the artist David Shepherd and stored at LONG MARSTON no idea were it is now