Scammell pioneer

ruggyjohn

Question

i am not far off putting the engine back in the chassis of my scammell pioneer, the workshop manual says two trommels are required to line up the engine and gearbox so it doesnt destroy the rubber cush drive, does anybody have some to loan me or is there another way of doing this, any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 answers to this question

I've been mulling this over for when I get to that point too. Looking at the design of the trommels it seems anything you can cobble up to check the concentricity and alignment will do. In typical Scammell manual style it doesn't exactly have a great deal of detail on the matter either, could do with some more info on the tolerances involved.

Not sure how a Pioneer differs but I've done this job a few times on my Explorer, 2 petrol engine changes and 1 diesel.

I made a pair of trammels using a couple of coupling bolts, drilled in the end, inserted some steel rod bent to approximate the shape, the spring in the rods allows enough adjustment, so no need to make the separate pointer on the end of one of them.

It's important the gearbox mountings are all sound, without any lift, slack or perishing.

I found it very difficult to get things absolutely perfectly in line by adjusting the engine position, I got it pretty close though...then I came to the conclusion that except when cruising along on a trailing throttle, the engine movement due to torque reaction would put everything out of line most of the time, so I left it like that, never had a problem with couplings in 18 years.