WW2 trailer but what is it? HELP

I found this trailer, I have been all over the internet and cant find anything like it maybe you can help me.

The chassie looks like a ww2 airbourne trailer but has been modified and the towing eye and the lifting handles look different. if you can help identify it that would help me work out if its worth restoring or not.

The guesses that have been flying about are artilary or RAF munitions trailer, The guy i got it from used it as a gas bottle carrier but the steel used in its construction is a bit heavey for this.

When you lift the trailer up by the hitch the plate at the rear of the trailer meets the ground exactly so what ever went on could be daddied on. then when it was loaded it would be lowered.

I have sanded some of the paint off and on the wheels and chassie theres the old army green but the metal work on the top of the trailer is grey primer and black.

Any info would be welcome. Thanks

IMG_0554.jpg

IMG_0555.jpg

IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_0557.jpg

Edited by Gary.T

Looks home made to me using some WW2 parts like axle and hitch, I had something a little similar using angle iron. If you part it out I'd be interested in a few bits. Who knows though could be some rare variant. :wow:

the drawer bar up to the dolly wheel is from a GS Mk1 trailer (i.e. lightweight) with the early tow hook mechanism and grab handles on the drawer bar. the dolly wheel has taken the place of the front stand.

The rest could be the remains of a Murex welding trailer which could have had the same type of drawer bar. Look on the Trailer forum for John Corden's restoration.

Whatever it is it has been severely messed about with.

Have you found a data plate on the L/H side of the drawer bar between the grab handle and dolly wheel?

Hmm

clean it, tidy it up, fit wings and lights, paint it ( maybe straighten the hitch ) and throw some gas bottles on it.

You'd have to be VERY sure that wasn't done by the army before you 'restore' it as an ordinary trailer. It is very well done, and I note it still has the original hitch type so might not be a civilian conversion at all.