Shuttleworth Collection WW1 airshow

Great War truck

We took the Dennis to the Shuttleworth collection WW1 event today. As we took the lorry out of the shed it began to rain and it showered on and off until we arrived.

IMG_5630_zps3a01c491.jpg

IMG_5638_zpsbb90074c.jpg

We parked up alongside the AEC and the Hallford and were then joined by the Coventry Transport Museum Maudslay. I think that this was its first trip out and it performed very well. It was a treat to see how much it had come on over the last 12 months.

IMG_5670_zps07919317.jpg

IMG_5673_zps1e6abf3d.jpg

IMG_5698_zpsccddc1e6.jpg

Also there was the London Transport LGOC “Battlebus” which has been completed. In a few weeks time it is going to be painted green in anticipation of its trip to France in Septmber.

IMG_5728_zps5c0977bb.jpg

With all of these WW1 vehicles together we spent sometime getting everything lined up for some group photos. The heavens really opened at one stage as we had to take cover until the storm passed.

IMG_5781_zpse7561b72.jpg

IMG_5849_zps738c8f12.jpg

IMG_5842_zps40ed2b43.jpg

IMG_5798_zpsf73a0fa7.jpg

Overall it was a great day out. The collection were really pleased to have us there and I hope it helped make up for the lack of flying aircraft.

It was great to see you all and thank you for coming, without you all the show would have been completely different. I think we had all the seasons in one day and fortunately a safe day was had by all with only one of the dawn patrol group r/c aircraft damaged while landing in conditions far beyond it's limits.

Thank you everyone who came

Steve

20140810_150959.jpg

20140810_162645.jpg

Such lovely, lovely lorries :-)

I couldn't get to Old Warden, but I'm hoping that there will be a few vehicles at Sywell this coming sunday.

As for camels, the NAW camel moved to Shuttleworth last year and is being fettled. I think the one in the background of one of the pics is the Brooklands camel. It has been known to come north to Old Warden before for engine runs (presumably forestalled by the weather in this case).

Really looking forward to the prospect of multiple flying camels!

Yes the Batley built example was being built by the Northern Aeroplane Workshops for the collection after the triplane and M1c they'd produced for us, the camel has come down for final work and covering and sadly the NAW have ceased building aircraft as they don't feel they have another 10 year project in them. The Brooklands Camel has been up a few times now and some of the collection's exhibits will be heading south for their displays. The Brooklands Camel did successfully run once during the day and we swiftly got it away as the heavens opened once more. Here is a picture from the top of the B type bus of the two camels in hangar 1 at the end of the show.

20140810_174305.jpg

Cheers

Steve

20140810_174409.jpg

20140810_174248.jpg

Edited by spanter
Actually adding pics!!!!!!

Yes the Batley built example was being built by the Northern Aeroplane Workshops for the collection after the triplane and M1c they'd produced for us, the camel has come down for final work and covering and sadly the NAW have ceased building aircraft as they don't feel they have another 10 year project in them. The Brooklands Camel has been up a few times now and some of the collection's exhibits will be heading south for their displays. The Brooklands Camel did successfully run once during the day and we swiftly got it away as the heavens opened once more. Here is a picture from the top of the B type bus of the two camels in hangar 1 at the end of the show.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]95467[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]95468[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]95469[/ATTACH]

Cheers

Steve

yep...

caus they wanted me to make up a load of the metal brackets for sopwith type aircraft.....

they were on about doing a DH2 as well.....

dont know if this ever got started....theres one with a warner scarab....

i think the idea was to fit the one they intended to build with a gnome....

where did northern airoplane workshops end up?...as i had it that they were being forced to move from Bradford road...

(i live in Dewsbury (south leeds) by the way)......

interestingly you notice how the aircraft is actually constructed only when the fabric is off...

the Camel is built using solid wood spars machined out at regular intervals to reduce weight.

it utilises extensive `stringing` throughout...these wires are streamlined....

further more, it uses small metal brackets to support the joints in the wooden fuselage framework..these brackets also have little `eyelets`...for the stringing to attach to...

now...compare this with its adversary...the Fokker DR1

for a start the DR1 uses cantelever wings...the interplane struts are only there to reduce vibration..

theres none of the extensive wire bracing either....that could always be caught by a bullit

further more the DR1 has a welded tubular (Reinholt Platz) fuselage...with wire bracing support...

so...which is the more advanced aircraft?...

Edited by flandersflyer

I used to play cricket against Shuttleworth college and Old Warden once a year for Writtle College old students.

Always a joy to play on the college's pitch that is just off the end of the main runway, wondering if the biplane taking off would actually clear our heads

yep...

caus they wanted me to make up a load of the metal brackets for sopwith type aircraft.....

they were on about doing a DH2 as well.....

dont know if this ever got started....theres one with a warner scarab....

i think the idea was to fit the one they intended to build with a gnome....

where did northern airoplane workshops end up?...as i had it that they were being forced to move from Bradford road...

(i live in Dewsbury (south leeds) by the way)......

I'm not sure of the exact address in Batley they've been in but they have been there a while and the lease was running out hence why the Camel came earlier than planned and with the average age of the group they didn't feel they had another workshop move and then a ten plus year project on a large aircraft like the DH2 sadly, we did several trips to pick up all the consumables before we collected the aircraft.

At least one of the group still comes down for each airshow to help with the rotaries and hopefully they will all make it down for the first flights of their Camel when the time comes.

Steve

You chaps line up a group of WW 1 lorries and act like that's just a normal days activity. IT IS FANTASTIC to see such a line up. Each vehicle is smashing in its own right but in the company of others of like ilk it goes way beyond smashing. It is almost surreal. Keep up the great work you do.

Did you drive the Dennis to the event or was it transported?

Same as to the other lorries.

Great to see the line up in a period setting. Always a difficult task to clear the background of modern vehicles.

Only point in conflict is these were army issue vehicles so its the wong setting being with aircraft. Crossely and Leyland would be the appropiate makes.

Any way a great display.

Doug

Hmmmm. Maudslays were used by the RFC and Dennis by the US Air Service. The museum did bring out their Crossley and that featured in some photos. I would agree that I would be stretched to find a photo of all marques together with a WW1 aeroplane but you never know. I will have a look and see what I can find.

The intention was never to create a period type picture, but to see what we could get together to make a nice photo. The end result was most satisfactory I feel. The best location to create a period sepia tone photo will be Beamish, but we will save that for another year.

Just had some pictures of my drive of the Dennis sent to me so here's a couple and the grin still hasn't left my face. Thanks again Steve hopefully next time we have good weather and can show the trucks alongside their flying contemporaries.

IMG_3057.jpg

oh and a review http://www.globalaviationresource.com/v2/2014/08/15/aviation-event-review-shuttleworth-ww1-commemoration/

Cheers

Steve

IMG_3051.jpg

Great images of the event, seeing the restored lorries displayed together. Definately beats a static display inside a building. Gives the motivation to go do some more on the Leyland here, but I have a tractor to work on first as it's needed for work about the orchard.

On your trip to the event what sort of speed are you able to maintain, given the terrian, and what is the fuel consumption?

Doug

Wish I could have been there, wet weather was unfortunate.

The lorries look good together, all the same, but different!

The comparison of engine tone would have been interesting, side valve, and overhead valve.

I expect there will be other occasions when four or more will be gathered together during the next four years.

Tom

We wish you could have been there too. We are all becoming very popular at the moment! The Crossley looked splendid with the wreaths on your wonderful trailer.

Cambridgeshire is pretty flat, Doug, so we could happily cruise at 12-15mph. Probably achieving 5mpg or so.

Steve :)