All things come to those who wait...

Enfield1940

You may recall me mentioning in the past that I'd like an example of a Denison smock for my collection, but not badly enough to pay the increasingly large sums they're fetching. (I should point out that another forum member was kind enough a few months back to offer me one at a good price, but alas I didn't have the money at the time)

Well I've finally got lucky and acquired this lightly used example for less than half the current going rate. :-D No badges or any sign it had any, but the sateen DPM Staff Sergeant slides are quite interesting. The only real niggle is that the rear section of the male half of one the chest pocket snaps is missing. Any ideas where I could source a replacement?

Cheers,

Mark

IMG_3306.jpg

IMG_3304.jpg

IMG_3305.jpg

IMG_3307.jpg

IMG_3308.jpg

IMG_3309.jpg

IMG_3310.jpg

IMG_3311.jpg

There was a chap on evilbay (based in Canada iirc) that used to sell these for very reasonable money. If I was still in the UK I would send you a new set (currently living in Singapore so all my gear is in storage...) in any case via auction sites or folks on this forum I don't think you will struggle to find a replacement....might take a little while though...

Very nice example,and certainly worth waiting for.(theres hope for me yet). I really do like these smocks,iconic items,yet the prices they fetch on certain auction sites and even from some dealers are ridiculously astronomical.

Very nice!This guy has Newey snaps.not green painted and nickel plated I know..but Newey all the same. http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-Denison-Airborne-Smock-Newey-Snaps-set-of-12-B-10-/360940553170?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5409bbc3d2

This is the 59 pattern am I right?When did the label change from 'smocks Denison airborne troops' to 'smock camouflaged' ?

I have a few ex-MoD "Newey" snap fasteners (type 7/7) as used on the later Denison........nickel finish as opposed to brass (have these too)............wartime and many post-war fasteners were marked "Newey" on the female portion plus the patent number, but on late Denisons (early 70s) this changed to "Newey" and "England" though the rest of the fastener remained the same.............the ones I have are new-old-stock......and marked "Newey" with the patent number.........

The ones for sale on Ebay are good but copies and not entirely accurate.............

These fasteners are 4-part (two bits for the male and two bits for the female) and are an arse to fit properly.......you need to acquire or make a tool that will insert into the fastener and then once inside spread the end over under pressure without damaging the rest of the component.........arguably however, the male portion is slightly less difficult to fit than the female !

PM me and I can supply the two parts of the missing male component..........

By 1965 the MoD specifications for the Denison refer to "Smock, Camouflage", no reference to Denison or airborne troops anymore............however, I have seen some garments still carrying the earlier designation with later 60s dates...............late Denisons by this time were commonly made by James Smith & Co, H E Textiles, BMC, Cookson and Clegg and F Fryer.................

The full-zip Denison was indeed the 1959 pattern, although subject to various minor manufacturing changes over the next 15 years or so...........the 1959 designation had also disappeared from the official specs and most labels by the mid-1960s too, a bit like the 1968 pattern combat clothing........

Edited by wdbikemad

I asked the seller if they knew anything of the smock's history and they replied:

"These were actually given to me by a friend for my son - but he didn't wear them,so that's how they ended up on eBay.

My friend and her husband were actually based in Germany in 70s/80s.

He was a para and this is some of the kit he used at the time.

I can't tell you anything else really.

But, I do have a very heavy brass plaque/coat of arms

measuring 5.5" by 3" and 1/2" thick.

It has a shield with a dagger on it with some french writing(maybe)".

Would a Para have two smocks: one with wings / DZ patch / etc. and one without? Does the description of the shield ring any bells with anyone?

Thanks,

Mark

I do know that during the early 70s Denison's were in rather short supply due to the MoD's ever-persistent attitude that they were to be replaced with standard DPM combat clothing.........this argument had been going on since the early 1960s when the official side stated that the Denison was to be retained only for training and tropical use...........though clearly this directive was wholly ignored...............if the zip malfunctioned in your smock, then it was standard to get a new one fitted.......same with the cuffs.............it was rare for a new smock to be issued......

According to the scales of issue of the time, airborne troops were issued with two suits of either 1960 pattern Green (or DPM) and then later the 1968 pattern DPM.............only one Denison smock was issued for the purposes noted above.............

Doubtless though, many resourceful and veteran troops acquired more than one Denison..............

The DPM para smock first appeared during 1977 and issues were progressive throughout the regular army and then the TA.............there are some odd colour images in the airborne archive taken during the late-1970s that show regulars on exercise with the TA..........the former are in the new DPM smock whereas the latter are still in the Denison....! Changeover was pretty much completed by 1980 however..............I think the last unit wearing Denisons during 81-82 was 395 (V) AD Troop, RCT, and then only by those who still retained them..........

Edited by wdbikemad

In 15 Para, We started getting our DPM smocks in 79, first time i wore it was at Brize on a month long APJI course. I remember reluctantly swapping over to the 'hat' cabbage camouflage but managed to hang onto my Denison for a few years then stupidly gave it away.

• 1 month later...
I have a few ex-MoD "Newey" snap fasteners (type 7/7) as used on the later Denison........nickel finish as opposed to brass (have these too)............wartime and many post-war fasteners were marked "Newey" on the female portion plus the patent number, but on late Denisons (early 70s) this changed to "Newey" and "England" though the rest of the fastener remained the same.............the ones I have are new-old-stock......and marked "Newey" with the patent number.........

The ones for sale on Ebay are good but copies and not entirely accurate.............

These fasteners are 4-part (two bits for the male and two bits for the female) and are an arse to fit properly.......you need to acquire or make a tool that will insert into the fastener and then once inside spread the end over under pressure without damaging the rest of the component.........arguably however, the male portion is slightly less difficult to fit than the female !

PM me and I can supply the two parts of the missing male component..........

A quick public vote of thanks to Steve / wdbikemad for sending me the missing part. Now restored to full functionality.:laugh:

Cheers,

Mark

IMG_3377.jpg