Red Oxide Paint

ploughman

Question

Has anyone else found any problem in the last few weeks in finding any Red Oxide?

We tend to buy ours in 5ltr cans from trade suppliers but in the last few weeks none has been available in a couple of outlets.

Had to resort to going to a DIY store and buying 2 x 750ml tins just to get a job finished on friday.

6 answers to this question

Has anyone else found any problem in the last few weeks in finding any Red Oxide?

We tend to buy ours in 5ltr cans from trade suppliers but in the last few weeks none has been available in a couple of outlets.

Had to resort to going to a DIY store and buying 2 x 750ml tins just to get a job finished on friday.

Not noticed but not bought any lately......the best I find comes from 'Johnstones' (google it for a shop near you) You may already know of it.

Not noticed but not bought any lately......the best I find comes from 'Johnstones' (google it for a shop near you) You may already know of it.

The 750 tins were from Johnstones.

Thanks for the replies anyway.

If you don't mind mail order and it doesn't have to be red, the very best anti-rust primer I've ever used is Bilt-Hamber Electrox:

http://www.bilthamber.com/paints-and-coatings/electrox

No affiliation, just been very impressed (other than their weld-through primer, it's the only primer I ever use now!) and never had it react with another paint (only really used it on cars, but a variety of different manufacturers and eras :)

Comes out top in all tests I've ever seen as well - not the cheapest, but worth every penny :-)