MW oil Consumption

MWMike

My MW oil consumption has started to climb, and I am considering refurbishing the cylinder head and fitting new rings after a bore-hone, so I have a couple of questions......

Are valve guides still available for this beast, or is it a case of making some?

I heard a story, although it may be bull-deposit, that a set of Transit engine valve guide seals work on the truck and are a better option than the feeble felt washers supplied, if so, which transit engine?

Is it possible to slip the pistons out with the engine in the truck? (Accessing the crank via the sump, obviously) and do they pop out upwards? ( In my 1938 minx you have to insert from the sump side which means crank out!)

I don't really want her off the road over the summer but she is getting to be a bit of an oil junkie, and is always looking for her next 30 SAE "fix"!

...oh! Cylinder pressure readings are all consistent around 185-200 psi.

in anticipation...

mike

My MW oil consumption has started to climb, and I am considering refurbishing the cylinder head and fitting new rings after a bore-hone, so I have a couple of questions......

Are valve guides still available for this beast, or is it a case of making some?

I heard a story, although it may be bull-deposit, that a set of Transit engine valve guide seals work on the truck and are a better option than the feeble felt washers supplied, if so, which transit engine?

Is it possible to slip the pistons out with the engine in the truck? (Accessing the crank via the sump, obviously) and do they pop out upwards? ( In my 1938 minx you have to insert from the sump side which means crank out!)

I don't really want her off the road over the summer but she is getting to be a bit of an oil junkie, and is always looking for her next 30 SAE "fix"!

in anticipation...

mike

To keep her on the road (dirt track!!) Over summer why not use a Bore Restorer product? The good ones will restore compression if low and lower oil consumption. Get you thru summer for winter rebuild!!

in anticipation...

mike

I managed to get complete sets of guides , springs and valves off Norman at Bygone Bedford

Make sure the guides on offer match in design the ones you have. When I had an MW I bought a set and they turned out to not match/fit. Had to buy a second set.:-(

Good point , I had to measure my exhaust valves, Norman told me there are two sizes..........standard , and the desert modification which was slightly bigger. Mine had the modification done ? , the interesting thing is while stripping the paint off we came across two shades of sand/dark beige (desert camo) . Been in touch with the RLC before Christmas but not had anything back from them :( .

I did have the measurements of the two sizes written down , but can't find the damn bit of paper .

Thanks guys, Norman from bygone bedfords has contacted me and explained all the possible sizes and shapes of the guides and valves and as long as they are available I am confident that I can rebuild the head if necessary....I just have to make the decision to do it- before the Arnhem XXX corps run, or after! Mike