War & Peace Revival 2014 - If you no longer attend why not?

LarryH57

I'm interested to know if any of you, who used to go to W&P perhaps for many years, don't bother anymore and why?

To give a bit of background, I have been going for many years now but have come to the conclusion that in moving to Folkestone it has lost something and does not feel like the old show, so instead I may attend more local MV shows from now on.While seeing the TKS from Poland was great, there was a notable reduction in the older WW2 British vehicles thatused to attend, leaving a lot of modern stuff on display. As for German vehicles do the SdKfz.Com guys boycott the show? Strangely, the attempt to have MVs and military camping only to improve the appearance of the show may have backfired in that those who cannot be on site for the complete show, now turn up and park all over the place often where there is a majority of civi vehicles. I appreciate the logistics would be a nightmare but it would be good if MV owners camping in far flung fields could all move their MVs each morning to a section of the show, so that the public can see them more easily. Also some of the Club stands seemto be very far away from the action and I’d be interested to know if they saw as many members of the public as the living history guys? As for the Arena at WPR I cannot understand why the Marshalls on the far side need to have a cabin and civi cars and fenced off supplies, as these ruin any photos the public try to take when vehicles pass near by and as for the double decker bus in the corner, surely WPR could put this outside the Arena for the same photographic reason. If the VIP bus hast o be in the Arena (for some reason) build it as a period ruined house perhaps? As for the distance, while the M25/ M20 on a good day can get you to Folkestone quite quickly that was not the experience of many who came down after the start of the show. I also found it slightly amusing that in taking an alternative route home I came upon a turning for Paddock Wood after an hours driving through the back roads! Oh how I wish it was back at Beltring!

Edited by LarryH57

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had this very conversation in the group I was with during the week, I love W&P and WPR, for me it's a combination of the hobby I love and catching up with some really great friends once a year, there are probably many in the same situation and for that reason there will no doubt always be a 'hardcore' base that will attend pretty much no matter what... I certainly lump myself in with that.

That aside, I do feel there is a certain lack of atmosphere at Folkestone that Beltring had, the site's shape (the loop so to speak) means that day visitors have to embark on a considerable trek to work the site with little or no option other than to continue round the whole race course, whereas at Beltring the paths and layout were such that one could dip in and out of the various fields making the walk as long or short as required (great for tired children believe me!). Then of course at Beltring there was the unsurpassable viewing hill for the arena... what better spot to enjoy a cold drink, rest your feet or have a spot of lunch whilst being thoroughly entertained by the various goings-on.

From there, the living history was contained in an area but before Witham's had their way by taking over one end, it was a large area but concentrated the LH encampments. I feel this enhanced the experience, they do seem comparatively diluted and spread out at Folkestone.

Again from the arena at Beltring it was only a few yards to the trade stalls. All this meant that anything could be accessed easily without too much slogging cross country, Folkestone seems so much more spread out, a visit to Kitchener's field didn't even feature on my week.

It also seemed there was a noticeable lack of heavy armour this year, we came to the conclusion that if the arena isn't that exciting to drive with space to get up speed and undulations and bomb-holes to tackle and 'show off', there is little else to tempt their owners to the show, thinking of what must be massive running costs for these beasts, without this encouragement they're not going to return. They have an undisputable draw to the public and without them the interest will wane.

There are plenty of completely justified comments on the vastly improved showers and toilet facilities at Folkestone, and I agree fully with them, but since these are mobile facilities I cannot understand why on earth these could not have been implemented sooner at Beltring after the years of complaints.

Whatever the various pros and cons though, For me it's not the site that will drive me away, It's the good company that keeps me there... no matter where, but if they stop going and do more local shows so shall I.

I can't see everyone being as tolerant though.

Thanks for the comments so far. I agree that good company is a plus but its no better or worse than any other show.

For me I think it is the reduction in the number of interesting vehicles being brought to the show and the over abundance of certain types, that has changed the event. This is confirmed by comparing my photos from each year.

Thanks for the comments so far. I agree that good company is a plus but its no better or worse than any other show.

Because of the size and scope of the event, it attracts people from all over the world. I have met old and new friends there this year from afar a field as NZ and Canada, this would not happen at any other event in this country.

There were a number of different vehicles on show this year that have not been at W&P before.

Because of the size and scope of the event, it attracts people from all over the world. I have met old and new friends there this year from afar a field as NZ and Canada, this would not happen at any other event in this country..

I agree with Richard. I hosted a Dutch & two Italian friends also within are our group we had German & Danish exhibitors. Something that wouldn't happen at any other show I go to. Also met several members of the forum I've not met before, the regret is that there were many others I often see who I didn't bump into.

I don't think I saw any members of the public go by us in the far end of the Jones field. But not a great problem that's not what I go for.

Its not like the other place I know, but we are where we are & I want it to work as I would miss this annual extravaganza.

I enjoy the show and agree that it brings people from all over the world. but have to question if it is still benifiting from the support it has had in the past.

On Saterday there was a arena display of D-Day vehicles. these could be US, AXIS or British types.

our group (3 dingo's & 2 carriers) drove down there to find a total of ........one jeep, a dingo and one amphibous car!

thats a realy poor show from all the availible vehicles on site. Fortunatly the latter carrier event guys turned up early to help provide a display.

I was present at our picth on the WW2 vehicles field from Monday to Sunday, i guess we saw about 100 visitors during the whole week. This makes me question if its worth hauling three vehicles 80 miles, when i could get that many with one car at a local fete.

At least half field was empty by Friday evening as many packed up and departed before the weekend. This was partly prompted by the weather forecast i suppose. But again this does not give the public a good show.

For me it is a place to see family and friends, it cost a fortune to get to the show and stay there but worth it.

Yes the Hopfarm was better and filled with memories of a single me with to much money to going with the show just to relax and talk.

is there a big show in development more to the midlands? might be fun ;)

As in the first comment, I would much rather support the local shows, the last time I went to W&P I found the prices ridiculous. I did notice on this forum a lack of photos etc, the pics that were posted there didn't seem to be as many MVs in the background.

I agree with Rick. Why should we pay a fortune to make money for others? If WE don't go all there is an empty feild. That isn't what the public pay a lot of money to see. I don't expect to pay an entry fee, it costs me enough just to keep vehicles up and running.

What are the alternatives? the Poland show?

Fuel expense is crippling, the heavy armor stays at home as it is to costly to bring over?

what does Mr. Cadman make from the show with all income -expense calculated?

i shun the Land Rover shows as it is just the same, steam and heavy horses? might be good..

still for most of my family is the boat a high cost in July.

and thats the crux of it the site can never be changed enough to be as good as the hop farm when show at hop farm used to take fsc in arena quite alot and that was being camped by fun fair, new site wouldnt dream of it ,all the time there is a caveat that the race course cant be disturbed the site will always be a compromise for us ,for rex its better no dealing with third party ie hop farm staff, bosses!:cool2:

I enjoyed the show very much because I camped near good friends and was surrounded by the hobby I love for a week , even though it's double the distance for me and my old Humber and I pay the camping fee (works out £3.50 approx. a day ):-) , I think we should "make hay while the sun shines" because I can see the site becoming a housing estate in the near future and would Rex have the enthusiasum to start the site search all over again ? Lets hope I'm wrong though ! See you all next year with luck ! :-D P.S. the post war convoy was great fun (thanks Bernard) ! :-D

Come on chaps, the site's just a patch of land. How long did it take the original show to work out the wrinkles and hit on a layout?

The first show held at the Hop Farm had around 200 vehicles and everything was on the field where stalls were at last show. Arena was against main road and all stalls, vehicles and camping went back about halfway down that field. The show evolved slowly over the years. The last couple of years the field called Medway had to be opened up. This was quite a hike to get to as well as other outlying fields.

The Racecourse is a far better layout with the grandstand area being the focal point with great facilities. Having been going there right from the start, the move was like a breath of fresh air, the old site was getting stale and tired. Not only that with it low lying fields, any wet weather seriously affected it. The racecourse is well drained, there was mud, but nothing like it might have been at the old site.

It may now be a bit closer for me, but that is of little consequence, it is a vast improvement. I fully support it as do many other people. Don't forget with several other major MV happenings in Europe this year there will be some who have not enough holiday to do all.

I like the new site - I liked Beltring too - but the new site opens up different possibilities. Yes, not disturbing the race track is an issue (although the entrance to Kitcheners this year might have affected that) as is the shallow flat arena. But we are only 2 shows in so who knows how things will change/improve for the better in future?

We've seen Rex listens - better loo/shower facilities than at Beltring, the bus service around the site and better caterers this year.

Yes, the atmosphere is different but still enjoyable and I think as people become established location wise the same level of atmosphere will return.

Fuel costs I think are slowly taking heavies out of the picture - both transport and operating and as said by others this was a big year events wise so funds and time have been stretched to the limit. I look forwards to seeing next years show.

Edited by ArtistsRifles