War & Peace Revival 2014 - If you no longer attend why not?

LarryH57

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think for my part what I will remember about this years show will be, the faces of the gurkhas with **** up to there elbows smiling from yet another disgusting toilet cubicle. And all the miserable unfriendly Officials who were always ready to make you feel awkward for any minor indescretion you may have inadvertantly caused. One day when I went to get some water in the chevy I was accosted and demands were made about the relevance of my movements, fair enough it was early in the week and it had got muddy, ill get my water and park for the day no worries, as this happened a couple of kids on pit bikes rode on through obviously friends of the 15 yr old officials, hands were raised nothing was said.i noticed similar occurances and blind eyes turned over the week. Upon leaving coming down out of the kitcheners field through the mud 10 blokes pushing a stuck campervan , I came through leaving 30yds gap got 3/4 way through then got shouted to stop , tried to explain that I need to keep rolling as towing a trailer and I might get stuck. When I got up to the top was verbally abused by some ****head and chastised and was actually told that I should have just got stuck and cause the other vehicles leaving behind to get stuck aswell. Maybe this is some of the reasons for sundays fiasco.

I appreciate that I was probably in the wrong and theres alot going on that we dont really have to deal with.

But who likes a bolliking when there on holiday?

I think this was around my 16th yr of attendance.i should imagine we have taken around 20 different mv over the years, not an imps member so pay full price every year, costs hundreds in fuel over the 300 mile round trip.hundreds on camping/canvas etc...thousands spent on the stalls.we always try to make a good camp and paint up a vehicle each year to bring.always a good buzz beforehand shall we get this or buy that, dont forget were changing this over or adding something else, this goes on for weeks beforehand.this is what I always loved about the show, nowhere else had the same appeal.

This is now tainted by the nonsense, I will not attend again.

Maybe the gurkhas should man the gates and the others can clean up the s###! We have paid for our own toilet facilities for the last few years and the pump shower we bring Is perfectly adequate, so the old showers and toilet debate is irrelevant.

Did'nt go last year because of a house move to the North West of England but will be attending this year. I can concur with this post regards certain marshals who turn a blind eye to persons flouting the rules.In 2013 (the first Folkstone camp)the dust was like being in a sandstorm and the word around was to slow right down on vehicle movements. We had some marshals situated about 100 yards from us and we're quite vocal with their demands to keep your speed down. One of our camp mates reported these two youths on the motor bikes/scramblers only to be told that they couldn't do anything about it.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm thinking that no one will be going this year if the blockade of Calais continues and the M20 is being used as parking. Is the traffic on the A20 any better?

I can give you an on the spot report as I live close by J10 of M20. Just been explaining to a customer how to get to Ashford avoiding M20/A20. Hopefully this French farce will not continue much longer, but if you look at a map you will see M2 /A2 to Canterbury , then Stone Street heading for Hythe brings you on to J11 by the Racecourse. Those coming from West could use A21 then cut across to Ashford. As the M20 is only closed currently between J8 and J9, this and the A20 between Maidstone and Ashford is the routes to avoid. A20 from Ashford to Racecourse is OK at this time. I certainly would not let this upset my W&P plans.

Well maybe or maybe not. I'm not going to give up on going because of uncertainties that others may experience in getting there.

I make a point of travelling on non-motorway routes & I'm sure there will be enough attendees to make a go of it despite the challenges that many may face for whom I have great sympathy.

For anyone from the London area or beyond coming in a slow and or wide MV and used to doing the M25, M26, M20, then A20, the route across country to avoid M20/A20 looks quite slow and torturous.

As for those on the other side of the channel I presume the queues at un-blockaded ports are getting quite long too!

Shame on a certain '28 Country group of nations' for saying that Eurotunnel could not own a couple of Ferries too!

Shame on a certain '28 Country group of nations' for saying that Eurotunnel could not own a couple of Ferries too!

To be fair, I dont think its quite as simple as that.

I used the old SeaFrance and have up until now used the "Phenoix" company "Myferry Link" I used them because I could get a Carnet ticket ( 10 crossings) and be very flexible with dates and times...ie just turn up and go.

BUT there is no way could MYferry Link have been paying their way so to speak. THe ships were never busy that I could see and on two crossings last year I count only 3 yes just 3 vehicles on the vehicle deck I was on. (it was NOT an off peak crossing)