War & Peace Revival 2014 - If you no longer attend why not?

LarryH57

But you are never going to have a lot of British vehicles - we didn't produce them in the numbers the Americans did.

Maybe for the wider world, but in the UK a fair number would have survived. You can see a lot more CMPs, WOTs and Bedfords in UK civilian use in post war film footage than you can Dodge WCs and jimmies.

I'd guess that we see a lot more US kit at the shows because they have good parts availability and are easier to keep on the road.

Edited by Lauren Child

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason there are large numbers of US WW2 vehicles on the UK show scene is due to them being imported in recent years from overseas countries who had them as aid after the war to build up their armies after being overrun by the Germans. A good deal of them were overhauled and retain as War Reserves. My own Bedford returned from the Danish army in 1987 having served for 44 years in British then Danish military service. It was rebuilt in 1960 and put in reserve, a good number of Dodges were released at the same time. What lorries that were disposed of by the British army after the war were snapped up by hauliers and contractors as new ones were expensive and had a waiting list. The makers were building for export to get the money in to the country.

While you are partially correct, Britain didn't get American aid post war so what was not reused was scraped to produce new products while US gave Europe free aid

Wow as I see it you have a real "hang up" re some things American.

We are only talking about vehicles and the supply of and amount during the war. Not the complete political story.

Edited by gas 44

I have no objection to seeing WW2 US vehicles at all; far from it. They make the show and I'm always amazed at the diversity, so its a pity they cannot be matched by British MVs that I know exist (some on the show scene and some hardly used) but are never at WPR. The same goes for WW2 German vehicles owned by individuals and some well known organisations. Air show organisers seem to appreciate the need for new items on the agenda and it only takes the appearance of two Lancasters to swell the crowds. It was the same when Bf109F Black 7 was flying at Duxford.

Therefore I cannot grasp why steps are not taken to attract some of these MV rarities to WPR. For the MV enthusiast second only to seeing some rare bit of kit is to be able to photograph it, without much clutter in the background (such as in the arena or when parked up). WPR fails on both counts and also because most vehicles are too far away from the centre of the show. If nothing is done the show will become less of an attraction to the paying public.

With a show as large and diverse as W&PR you are never going to satisfy everyone, or perhaps anyone! We each have our own area of interest and I presume most people, like me, only go to a show to see the subject matter that they have interest in. A show which could focus on one area of interest and ensure that they give a fully rounded view of the subject would be a winner for sure both for those with an external interest and those owning / restoring machines from that period. I suspect that the general public wouldn't care much at all, after all, if its green and has big wheels or tracks its all the same, let off a few gun shots and the family has a good day out to keep the kids from driving them crazy around the house.

It would be rather interesting to see the demographic of the footfall at W&PR, I wonder what percentage of attendees have an active interest in MVs?

I tend to think that an event which is created to give wartime MV owners something challenging and out of the ordinary is whats missing in the UK. I enjoyed Tanks In Town back in 2011, it had a good mix where the owners got to camp out in the woods and take there vehicles on the off road tracks if they wished and then as the culmination of the event there was the road run. Not everyone in the woods went on the run, some had come just to meet friends and hitch a ride around Mons. Thinking about it I enjoy Militracks too, so perhaps its the woods that give that extra factor in making for a perfect setting, rather than some vast expense of flat grassland.

With a show as large and diverse as W&PR you are never going to satisfy everyone, or perhaps anyone! We each have our own area of interest and I presume most people, like me, only go to a show to see the subject matter that they have interest in. A show which could focus on one area of interest and ensure that they give a fully rounded view of the subject would be a winner for sure both for those with an external interest and those owning / restoring machines from that period. I suspect that the general public wouldn't care much at all, after all, if its green and has big wheels or tracks its all the same, let off a few gun shots and the family has a good day out to keep the kids from driving them crazy around the house.

It would be rather interesting to see the demographic of the footfall at W&PR, I wonder what percentage of attendees have an active interest in MVs?

I tend to think that an event which is created to give wartime MV owners something challenging and out of the ordinary is whats missing in the UK. I enjoyed Tanks In Town back in 2011, it had a good mix where the owners got to camp out in the woods and take there vehicles on the off road tracks if they wished and then as the culmination of the event there was the road run. Not everyone in the woods went on the run, some had come just to meet friends and hitch a ride around Mons. Thinking about it I enjoy Militracks too, so perhaps its the woods that give that extra factor in making for a perfect setting, rather than some vast expense of flat grassland.

You could be onto a winner with that idea re the WW2 vehicles, remember Jack did it in 2010 followed by 2012.

I dont know anyone who attended that did not have a smile from ear to ear.

All it needs is some one to arrange an event like that,they seem to be able to do it on the continent but we struggle here.

Is that some thing to do with fuel cost ? I know our local MVT group seem to have trouble traveling more than about 40 miles. Some say "but my Vehicle uses too much fuel" I say "get a smaller vehicle then".

To me there is nothing worse than just sitting in a field, I use W&P as a base, (i dont leave my jeep on display the whole time cos they are boring...or so i have been told)this year we travelled to Calais via the chunnel with 2 jeeps and 1 dodge. We did the coast road down to Bolougne taking in the bunkers and a really good lunch in the old town. Returned about 8 in the evening. After the event a number of people said they would have joined us.....it just needs some imagination. I cant see me NOT attenting W&P, I get up to 10 days camping for £25, I get to save money on postage by picking up bits and pieces from the dealers. In the evening I meet up with some friends have a beer or two,make some new friends and of course see a few military vehicles.

This year I paid Rex Cadman £25

This year I saved £18 at Dover castle and a total of £58 in carraige, value for money.....you bet.

Ok its a little like, is you cup half full or half empty but overall I'm happy even if there was not a lot of "Brit kit there"

I attend for many reasons;

-Its a great holiday

-Love to see MV's.

-Looking at displays

-Looking at arena events

-Rummaging around at the stalls.

And very important, meeting friends I only see once a year at the show.

Also to make new friends.

see a lot of people might have been, by friday , there a week or more already and if the forecast is rubbish and parked next to your pride and joy has been a UN marked ford transit ! well why not go home on friday!:cool2:

What's wrong with a UN transit? Unless your saying they don't use them?

Vehicles for the scenario! I know where someone who has a disability and not a lot of money, the group invited him to stick copies of an Arabic number plate on his civillian Discovery and put into a VCP scenario! Fitted perfectly. My Range Rover Classic, painted NATO green and black with steel Land Rover wheels, to exclamations of You can't do that! Why not? Here are photos taken in Bosnia of the C in C's vehicle. :angel:

White Transit, Ford Cargo, Jeep or 432 colour irrelevant the military used them all so have an equal relevance the thing is W&P Revival is whatever you won't it to be. Go and support it if you enjoyed past experience or just chose another show to support if you didn't. All of what's been written so far has been said before nothing changes and it won't change this time.

think you are missing the point my post reflected many earlier discussions about vehicles posing as ex military to get into war and p cheaply, this can easily happen on any forum when one is new to it, am in no way suggesting that a ford transit is not a draw for many of us on this forum, i for one love seeing them displayed in ever more imaginative ways!:cool2:

I have been going to Beltring for many years and it used to be one of the highlights on my calender, I have however not attended the new W&P since the move.

My main interest is in WW2, in particular german vehicles. In this respect, the show lost it's appeal with fewer and fewer interesting vehicles present. The "big boys" all seem to fall out with eachother with the end result that none of them makes the effort anymore. Many of the smaller collectors with interesting vehicles are now also staying away with the result that the traders with interesting stuff no longer attend either. Several friends that have visited the show this year came away very disappointed vowing never to return....

Looking at the success of Militracks, I believe there is a gap in the market for a more exclusive pre-1945 themed show. Beltring would be a great venue for such a show....

regards,

Funksammler

Edited by Funksammler

think you are missing the point my post reflected many earlier discussions about vehicles posing as ex military to get into war and p cheaply, this can easily happen on any forum when one is new to it, am in no way suggesting that a ford transit is not a draw for many of us on this forum, i for one love seeing them displayed in ever more imaginative ways!:cool2:

Then you must excuse me I have only been in the hobby since 1969 so have no opinion of value

I go as a visitor rather than exhibitor, I keep meaning to take my Saracen but while it might get there - all down hill, I don't think it will get back, certainly not the last bit up to the top of the North Downs.

Anyway, while W&PR has just about everything i want to see, maybe there were a few things that stuck in my mind as being incongruous. The posh classic cars all for sale through a posh classic car dealer taking pride of place - maybe have MVs that are for sale instead? Then in front of the grandstand, the vintage car show that was next to the army recruiting tents - though well done the army coming! On the entrance, a bit too much boot fair bric a brac than army surplus. At the Hop Farm, the Bric a brac was a right turn as you entered, Everything else was to the left. The MVs and static displays well they were all far away.

But, taking into account the comment - what would you change? Not having to manage such a huge logistic enterprise, I would hate to comment - but.. What about a fenced off circuit going through the site that anybody exhibiting can join and drive around as and when? We, the public get to see a selection of MVs drive past, the exhibitors get to drive around without having to dodge the public. Just a thought and a way to deal with the huge site.

I find it very odd that when viewing the arena that general non related show traffic passes in front of you while viewing. Also when travelling to the arena to display you are in a single line traffic jam with burger vans and other forms of show traffic heading round the one way system....very odd. This put most arena events back by 20 to 30 mins.

kevin.

• 1 month later...

Unless your MV was built as a military vehicle or has a military history (such as being impressed in to military service) or has clearly been built as a near replica such as a TKS tankette or an Sdkfz 222 / Land Rover, a civi vehicle dressed as an MV has no place at a MV show, unless its used as a blown up wreck on a Gulf War type display.

Edited by LarryH57

Unless your MV was built as a military vehicle or has a military history (such as being impressed in to military service) or has clearly been built as a near replica such as a TKS tankette oran Sdkfz 222 / Land Rover, a civi vehicle dressed as an MV has no place at a MV show, unless its used as a blown up wreck on a Gulf War type display.

here here that man

• 3 months later...
I had a great show, just a shame I was so busy talking to people that I hardly got chance to see any of it. I'd also like to apologise to anyone that got held up behind the Cromwell while we loaded it onto the trailer on sunday but 15 mins wasn't too bad and at least we didn't get stuck.

rick

Thats because you had a proper haulage company and driver to take the Cromwell Rick. I did three round trips from Lancashire and apart from the main entrance being a problem, which could have been sorted with a little extra tempary track, I did'nt find it too bad.

Craig

• 3 months later...

But, taking into account the comment - what would you change? Not having to manage such a huge logistic enterprise, I would hate to comment - but.. What about a fenced off circuit going through the site that anybody exhibiting can join and drive around as and when? We, the public get to see a selection of MVs drive past, the exhibitors get to drive around without having to dodge the public. Just a thought and a way to deal with the huge site.

sounds like a top idea to me :)

• 2 weeks later...

Last year was my first year and even though there were a few issues at the MV entrance, I loved every minute of the show......even the weather on Friday night/Saturday morning.

I also think we all should be a little more tolerant of change and the new site will mature.

Looking at some of the things scheduled for 2015, it will knock 2014 into a cocked hat........if we support it that is.

Come on guys, where's the Dunkirk spirit gone?