CVRT gearbox noise.

Rick007

I'm looking at a Scorpion over here in the states. The fellow I am going to purchase it from called me last night after checking it out and told me that when it is idling in neutral there is a howl/vibration coming from the gearbox area.He says it drives fine but sounds kinda bad. Any thoughts? I saw gearboxes maybe a little hard to get and haven't seen a cost of them at all. Thanks for any info.Rick

I hope to get that video with the noise today. He also just told me.It only does it after you run it through a few gears and return to neutral. It still drives fine. Hes going to clean the tranny filter. Just a little more info before I can get the video.Thanks Rick

CVR(T) are very noisey when in idle and that is normal. The noise sounds very much like cavitation in a Hydraulic system if you have every heard that so if the noise sounds like cavitation then there is nothing major to worry about. If you do not know what cavitation sounds like, it is caused by air in a sealed system at pressure so sounds something like a mix of a heavy duty food mixer and someone shaking a tin of stones.

Yes that sounds exactly like the box in my Samson. How the manufacturers ever persuaded whoever was responsible for buying these vehicles that this was "normal" and acceptable must have sold snow to Eskimos in a previous existence!!

Is that you Rick?

I am at a loss now to recall how many times that noise has been the cause of outright panic on the part of new CVR(T) owners.

It sounds awful doesn't it? Sounds like you bought a lemon and want your money back, instantly.

Learn to love it, it runs!

Robin

Yes that sounds exactly like the box in my Samson. How the manufacturers ever persuaded whoever was responsible for buying these vehicles that this was "normal" and acceptable must have sold snow to Eskimos in a previous existence!!

Ford Transits rattled all the time, but people kept buying them! :-D

Hi Robin. yes its me. Very good to talk to you the other day. I pulled the trigger and bought a Scorpion. It will keep my Abbot company. The fellow selling it was concerned about the noise before I bought it and sent me the video.That was nice or I would have felt that I bought a pile of bolts rattling in a can. The members of this site are very helpful and you sure don't feel alone. I hope to have it within 2 weeks. I will post pictures.

Hi Rick,

I'm Nick from the Cold War Collection in Ottawa, just "north" of Robin. We have a Belgian Scorpion (65068), same noise, and we just changed our gearbox to a Rebuilt unit last year for other reasons. (leaks etc.) same noise in both boxes

Your video sound fine to us !

CVR(T).jpg

Cheers

Nick\

CWC Canada

I just wanted to thank everyone for your valued opinions. The money has been spent. (The wife knows LOL.) Should the Tank gods be kind it will arrive here with no damage in 2 weeks. I look forward to posting some picks when it arrives.