Ferret getting hot

paulob1

She has always run very close to boiling but is now overstepping the mark and overheating...first going to clear out the water and wash her through to make sure we have no silt in the system...the water pump appears to be working fine, the thermostat is removed, we tried that first...but I will replace that..

next going to remove the radiator and give it a good wash out and thorough clean...and remove the 50 years of grunge that has built up on it, hopefully that will help too...

but is there anything peculiar to the ferret that I SHOULD LOOK AT TOO. The engine runs sweet and is not being worked hard...so doubt it is anything there but any suggestions gratefully accepted from you more knowledgeable sorts out there..

How do you know that the water pump is working can you see coolant moving ? Have seen Champ water pumps where the impellor has corroded away due to just having water in the system, all appears good from outside but coolant is not being displaced.

Head gasket on the way out?

Just resolved an issue on the 101. Coolant gas test was negative, no water on oil, leak down test negative, but under load/speed coolant was being pumped through the rad cap.

Head gasket was corroded at one end of the head at the water jacket and pressure from cylinder was being pushed into coolant.

Apparently not uncommon on a rover V8, but mabe worth considering on the B60?

• 1 month later...

well removed rad...and found the problem...

I had wrapped the exhaust of the engine to try and queiten it as the small connecting pipes simple from no seal at all.

however modern wrap is totally useless. it had borken up and spread itself with oil and other contaminant all over the radiator so virtuall blocking it off.

a couple of hours cleaning and she is running sweet not overheating and all is fine...now i have to try and find some connecting pipes that are a good fit instead of these ones..anyone found a suitable solution for this...wondering if I cant make up some sort of flxible pipe connection...

anyone else found a solution to this

As there is a small amount of flex in the engine and transmission mounting the tubes have the swaged ends to allow for movement. If too tight an elbow can crack. I seem to recollect the very early Ferrets had steel tubes with parallel shouldered ends, and think they were changed due to damage of elbows.

yes Griff sort of agree and the space is very short for flexible pipe....it really needs a compression pipe, that when hot expands easily into the gap and sealing it a bit better...will try to get some new ones and have a go at refitting them...