What's Sean got now?

Sean N

Question

I'm having a big clearout, and keep coming across mystery parts. Often I've either forgotten what they are or didn't know in the first place.

I thought it might be interesting to post some of them up here as an on-going quiz and see if anyone can identify them, rather along the lines of Clive's Mystery Objects (though probably much less mysterious) - the difference being that I won't be able to tell you if you're right or not!

Most are vehicle parts, so it'll probably be obvious what they are generally - a light, a speedometer, whatever - but perhaps not the details or what they're from. Given the sources they're probably mostly British, as well - I don't think that's giving too much away!

OK, first item, maybe obvious but I don't know what it's from and I find it interesting:

IMG_3425.jpg

IMG_3426.jpg

• Answers 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Thanks all. That confirms what I guessed, but knowing little about armour it's nice to have the experts confirm.

I notice no-one's having a go on the pixie hat though!

Let's try another one. These have intrigued me since I got them but I suspect they're obvious to one who knows the vehicle. I have got a couple of clues and an idea of what I think they are, but let's try without first.

IMG_4331.jpg

Edited by Sean N

Hmmm... Obviously either too difficult or not interesting enough!

How about this. I'm sure I should know what this is. It's marked Butlers 1091 and both fittings are 2 pole bayonet. It's about 3" - 4" long.

IMG_4445s.jpg

...and while I'm here, can anyone shed light on the use of these cans? The larger one of the two - centre in the photo - is the same height and width as the typical oil can but not as deep, while the other is considerably smaller. The larger of the two is stamped HA14185 H&L 10/1952 and one of the ones I have is marked O.C. 110, while the smaller is stamped 22810 HB&S 1955. Both have a broad arrow and W.D. on top and an injunction on the cap to re-use the can. I've shown them next to what I know as the standard '50s vehicle oil can (on the left) for comparison.

IMG_4440s.jpg

Edited by Sean N
Add stuff

Hmmm... Obviously either too difficult or not interesting enough!

How about this. I'm sure I should know what this is. It's marked Butlers 1091 and both fittings are 2 pole bayonet. It's about 3" - 4" long.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]95936[/ATTACH]

...and while I'm here, can anyone shed light on the use of these cans? The larger one of the two - centre in the photo - is the same height and width as the typical oil can but not as deep, while the other is considerably smaller. The larger of the two is stamped HA14185 H&L 10/1952 and one of the ones I have is marked O.C. 110, while the smaller is stamped 22810 HB&S 1955. Both have a broad arrow and W.D. on top and an injunction on the cap to re-use the can. I've shown them next to what I know as the standard '50s vehicle oil can (on the left) for comparison.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]95937[/ATTACH]

The middle can is of a similar appearance to oil cans issued to us as part of CES for Abbot and FH70, just a miscellaneous oil can which I suspect would have been general issue to both A and B vehicles.

Thanks all.

I should have known that was a WW2 vehicle connector, just couldn't place it. They've been discussed on here enough times.

What you say on the cans makes sense, several of them have residues of unidentifiable oil in the bottom. Would they all have been used for engine oil, or just various general oils as appropriate?

Keith, I can't find your question on cans but the left hand one is what I know as an oil can for '50s / '60s B vehicles - I obviously haven't had enough experience of the right sort of vehicles to be familiar with the other two.

The smaller one seems quite hard to come by.

I'm guessing that the change to the middle one was to be the same thickness as a jerry can for stacking but I've not had one to compare. IIRC the one on the left is the right size to fit two in place of a POW can in vehicle racks.

Edited by Lauren Child

I've got quite a few of the smaller one, but I've not seen them elsewhere. The middle one I would say is thinner than a jerry can, but I don't have either here with me so I can't check. Might just be a redesign for some reason - low profile? Earlier or later rack? Fit on place of a wartime can?

All the B vehicles I've had / looked at from the '50s / '60s have had a rack the fits just one of the larger cans (the can on the left), so I'd assumed, probably wrongly, that they'd standardised on that can.

Isn't the middle can the same dimensions of the standard 1 gallon can that we used to buy oil in from Halfords before oil started to be sold in plastic cans sculpted to a shape intended to make people think that they will be able to fly if they use that brand of oil. If it is I would assume that it was easier for the military to get small portions of oil from commercial suppliers without having to decant it from bigger drums into the type of can that is on the left of the photo.

David

Got a few more. I suspect these will be easy to the right person!

First, a pixie hat. This is soft leather and has a stiff wire sewn into the open end and a ring of small eyelets around the top.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]94956[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]94957[/ATTACH]

Well, I found a pixie hat with a label still attached! Apparently it's Gaiter, Brakes, SF.50/34, part No. MT 503, supplied under CTS/WV/707/DC13B.

I'm still none the wiser though!

Well, I found a pixie hat with a label still attached! Apparently it's Gaiter, Brakes, SF.50/34, part No. MT 503, supplied under CTS/WV/707/DC13B.

I'm still none the wiser though!

Hi Sean,

it is for a Clayton Dewandre servo and first application for that part number is a Thornycroft WOF/DC4/2. Could be other vehicles

Isn't the middle can the same dimensions of the standard 1 gallon can that we used to buy oil in...

David

It's fractionally smaller all round than a 5 litre tin can, so it probably is. Not sure it would have been supplied pre-filled as it's not marked for any particular oil and is heavily W.D. etc. marked, but it obviously is the W.D. version of a typical 1 gallon can as you say.

Hi Sean,

it is for a Clayton Dewandre servo and first application for that part number is a Thornycroft WOF/DC4/2. Could be other vehicles

Cheers Richard. I found it intriguing and it's nice to know what it came from.

Let's try another one. These have intrigued me since I got them but I suspect they're obvious to one who knows the vehicle. I have got a couple of clues and an idea of what I think they are, but let's try without first.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]95117[/ATTACH]

Found one with a label. Apparently these are LV3/LD 2910-99-827-6074, which if I've understood NATO numbers right makes them brackets made by Leyland Motors for something on an A vehicle engine fuel system. I assume that probably means Chieftain...

...and with a little poking around the interweb I've found one. It's a bracket to protect the fuel filter assembly.

fv4201l60.jpg

You havn't got the characters that come before the NSN that you gave, have you? They would normaly be on the packaging but often not on the item. They give a guide to application. For example 9ACR is FV430 series vehicles (which I don't think its for - certainly not 432 or 434). I do agree that it's a headrest though.

David

Thanks Richard. I couldn't get closer than 'miscellaneous vehicle parts' (2590) - there wasn't a prefix on the label. Wonder if it would do other AFV periscopes as well?

Just posted a question about an unknown aerial mount in British Radio Equipment: http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?46202-Can-anyone-identify-this-aerial-mount

Edited by Sean N
Add link