Halftrack Tracks

scotty71

there is a little cletrac community in Australia. Their are three that I know of within an hour of where I live. They are completely useless however, given that the tracks are completely deteriorated. If tracks were remanufactured though!!!!!!!!

Whoops, sorry, forgot to add. Here are some photos of how the original cletrack tracks look.

And this is what happens to cletraks when the tracks deteriorate. They end up in a paddock and left to rot. One of these is complete and sitting under a tree minus the tracks. You can see some spare track pads have been unbolted and stacked on the track guards. The other one, laying out in the paddock, is minus the engine, but still has good running gear. A new set of tracks and these might be worth something again.

IMG_1566.jpg

IMG_1631.jpg

IMG_1577.jpg

I am very pleased to be wrong about the width and pitch. That makes it much more possible to piggy-back Cletrac tracks off the Halftrack project. Hopefully the Halftrack tracks are made in a segmented mould in which case it should be fairly easy to do a batch of longer ones that are otherwise identical. That can certainly be done with modern mini digger / snowmobile tracks, hence the Weasle tracks that are being made in China now and sold by Joop Staaman. Looking at the photos of the one with joined up Halftrack tracks it looks quite good I think, but I would love to know how he joined them. Actually the lack of bolt on pads should make them last longer as there will be no tipping force on the metal cross bar which would tend to fatigue the cables more.

In OZITIM's first photo you can see the two different types of halftrack guide horn: one with a wiggly top edge and one with a straight top which I believe is the latter type.

David

• 3 weeks later...

Is that short-sighted or what? I know money is tight but a lot of expensive toys could easily be made worthless without tracks. A bit of collaborative investment now could prevent that from happening all too soon.

Simply unbelievable - unless there is an alternative which has not been widely publicised yet?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A very interesting read. One thought did spring to mind was that the current Israeli process requires remanufacturing of an existing set of tracks. Did Tal indicate that a reasonable supply of old tracks were available to meet demand for the near-term or would there be a requirement to start shipping worn tracks to Israel for remanufacture?

Cheers,

Terry

Yes, it is a bit. But I have written in my "French" to several French collectors and they have always responded asking me to write in English as there is a chance that they might understand that. Anyway, Scotty, have you had any interaction with French, Belgian or Dutch half track owners as there are a lot of them out there and I expect that they are already well aware of the problem and may have taken action. if someone is commissioning new Sherman tracks surely they would have already considered halftrack tracks as there would be a great deal more customers?

• 2 weeks later...
….(from G503 post) We are fairly certain that a price that begins with a 2, like $2,500 or somewhere in the two thousand dollar range, is the max that halftrack owners can afford. ....

Sorry but the reality is that, given your extensive efforts to secure best price, whatever best price you can secure will be the max that halftrack owners can afford - as without tracks they will no longer be able to run their halftracks and presumably will, shortly thereafter, no longer be halftrack owners :cry:

I wish you all good luck in your efforts - I'm sure halftrack owners everywhere appreciate it so keep at it!

Sorry but the reality is that, given your extensive efforts to secure best price, whatever best price you can secure will be the max that halftrack owners can afford - as without tracks they will no longer be able to run their halftracks and presumably will, shortly thereafter, no longer be halftrack owners :cry:

I wish you all good luck in your efforts - I'm sure halftrack owners everywhere appreciate it so keep at it!

I agree £1,500 doesn't seem much to keep a 30k+ vehicle running... a new set of Boots on a REO would be a lot more...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...