MVT Normandy Tour

arcot1751

I like probably many on here recently attended the 70th D Day anniversary celebrations in Normandy. We found ourselves at Sword Beach the afternoon before our planned return. We therefore decided rather than travel all the way back to the campsite only to return at 0430hrs the next morning we would ask the Ferry company if we could pay extra and catch that nights ferry. They explained there would be an extra charge of £102 but it was possible. As there was five of us we decided to pool our money and go for it, the ferry was delayed because of a strike and it turned out not to make a lot of difference to our arrival time in the UK after all, maybe six hours. Anyway fast forward to this Monday and the MVT contacted me to demand £104 because " You caught an earlier ferry" !!! I paid extra to travel on the earlier ferry and certainly do not intend to pay again, the ferry company actually owe ME money as I changed vehicle from the original paid for and the new vehicle was considerably smaller than the original, the MVT told me before we travelled I would be refunded the difference but it never happened :mad: Has anyone else been contacted by the MVT and told to pay TWICE ?

Not MVT, but the ferry company have been doing some very odd things. Like booking a foot passenger as the third passenger on a two seat vehicle, then wanting £75 to change thier mistake. Fortunatley I had a spare seat so he came in Katy. Next time I'm going by Chunnel and driving down!

Not MVT, but the ferry company have been doing some very odd things. Like booking a foot passenger as the third passenger on a two seat vehicle, then wanting £75 to change thier mistake. Fortunatley I had a spare seat so he came in Katy. Next time I'm going by Chunnel and driving down!

To be fair I think mine originates from the Ferry Company rather than the MVT but they are the ones sending out the invoice. I paid EXTRA at the ferry terminal to travel early and as I said earlier I am not paying again, it's in the hands of my solicitor now. More than just us travelled early yet judging by the lack of response on here I am the only one being charged TWICE. Next time I travel independently and not with the MVT.

And cheaper, the earlier you book, even the day before the cheaper. AND if you can't travel and let them know within 24 hours of your booking, they will let travel another day! Also the price per vehicle includes up to NINE passengers. Toilets leave a bit to be desired, but hey only 35 minutes! AND if you turn up early or late, they don't much care!They'll fit you on the next train available. I have had a number of spur of the moment days out via the Chunnel. Though I have to declare Ashford is only an hour down the road from me.

it seems a bit strong putting it in the hands of your solicitor which will probably cost more than the bill. I have also received a invoice I phoned the ferry coordinator and explained I had already paid and he was going to check with the ferry company. As far as I am aware he was doing the ferry booking as a volunteer and should be praised for all he did not criticised.

it seems a bit strong putting it in the hands of your solicitor which will probably cost more than the bill. I have also received a invoice I phoned the ferry coordinator and explained I had already paid and he was going to check with the ferry company. As far as I am aware he was doing the ferry booking as a volunteer and should be praised for all he did not criticised.

To be fair, I have only told my solicitor in case it is not sorted out, I have NOT started proceedings just asked advice. I do not intend to pay for something twice and I don't suppose many people would. I am in no way criticising the MVT man, but I am a little concerned I have had NO refund as promised and now to be presented with a bill for something I have already paid for is a bit rich. All in all if it gets sorted fine if it doesn't then somewhere along the way I am being charged twice for the same thing and that is something I am not prepared to stand by and let happen.

To be fair, I have only told my solicitor in case it is not sorted out, I have NOT started proceedings just asked advice. I do not intend to pay for something twice and I don't suppose many people would. I am in no way criticising the MVT man, but I am a little concerned I have had NO refund as promised and now to be presented with a bill for something I have already paid for is a bit rich. All in all if it gets sorted fine if it doesn't then somewhere along the way I am being charged twice for the same thing and that is something I am not prepared to stand by and let happen.

Volunteer or paid professional the service provided should be the same saying that I was charged twice for one year’s membership of the MVT, I know I was not alone.

Update on the ferry charges are that the ferry company has confirmed I paid at the Port and NO more is due. :D That is a relief to say the least. In answer to one post on here, yes I know the MVT person who organises things is unpaid and does this in his spare time, I had made it clear to him that I had no argument with him or the MVT in general but I was simply not prepared to pay twice for the same thing. Thankfully this has now been sorted amicably however I have to wait until the end of July for my refund for change of vehicle. :undecided: All in all sense has prevailed and thanks to Michael at the MVT :saluting:

hi , well done to all military vehicle owners who visited in normandy with vehicle passes, but what a waste of time, living here just behind omaha beach all residents and farmers had to have vehicle passes issued by the local marie,but hundreds of vehicle owners were driving around with no passes showing on their windscreens and no intervention by multitudes of gendarmes, we had people staying at our house with jeeps and with prior warning about passes arrived with nothing saying we will take a chance. it makes a nonsense for all the owners who took the trouble to obtain a pass, all the best tony g.

hi , well done to all military vehicle owners who visited in normandy with vehicle passes, but what a waste of time, living here just behind omaha beach all residents and farmers had to have vehicle passes issued by the local marie,but hundreds of vehicle owners were driving around with no passes showing on their windscreens and no intervention by multitudes of gendarmes, we had people staying at our house with jeeps and with prior warning about passes arrived with nothing saying we will take a chance. it makes a nonsense for all the owners who took the trouble to obtain a pass, all the best tony g.

Its just as well I did have a pass, issuing them was not a complete waste of time, on the 6th we decided to travel inland to Villiers Bocage and surrounding area, not realising we had travelled out of the restricted zone, traffic was moving freely in both directions, but upon returning late afternoon ALL roads on the perimeter that entered the restricted zone were now closed by the Gendamarie, but we were allowed to proceed back to our campsite at Martragny inside the zone because we were displaying a pass, otherwise would have just had to sit it out in a Cafe untill the restriction was lifted later that evening. I think this is what the pass was intended for, to travel in and out of the zone, you could drive out but could not get back in without it, but it was a bit ridiculous considering the thousands already in the zone freely moving around with no pass and no apparent checks.

As we crossed over the closed Caen to Bayeux motorway the Gendarmes on duty on the bridge stood to attention and saluted as we passed by in the Dodge staff car, think they must have had a very boring day apart from seeing HRH and other VIP.s speeding past on the empty motorway below

Edited by Nick Johns

It was always going to be a farce, for heavens sake its France.....we had three vehicles over there,none had passes and nor did we,no problem moving about at all. Just dont try and go where the VIP's are.

Not heard anything from our leader on his trip though....Come on Jack give us a report.

There was one problem in our area with a Gendarme. He decided tha A Jeep could not go down onto the beach. After the intervention of the local Mayor, the problem disappeared! :-D

We did have one similar sutuation, although 30 odd Gmc's sorted that one at Omaha. It was let them on the beach or close the road ;).

I have the greatest respect for the Gendarmarie in Normandy. I have to say every dealing I've had with them has always been amiable and proffesional. Though I have to say from the comments of our hosts this Gendarme was 'One of they Bl**dy southern lot. Bringing thier city ways up 'ere. The mayor will soon put him straight.' (Very much the sanitised version!:-D)

Yep I had no passes for Jeep thing or my Norton but still got on the beach and drove to Arromanches and had lunch there on the 6th, most Police looked like they were on a jolly and were very friendly even when a few roads were closed for VIP's we still drove along all the British / Canadian beaches as long as you cut across country all was well. Police spent more time waving and taking pics of all of 200 + WD bikes when we made the record attempt on the eve of the 6th.

My lasting memory of the whole tour was travelling back from Pegasus bridge on the 5th with six bikes on full chat and being overtaken by the BBMF Lancaster flying up the coast nr Battery Longues stunning !!.

RR.

There was one problem in our area with a Gendarme. He decided tha A Jeep could not go down onto the beach. After the intervention of the local Mayor, the problem disappeared! :-D

Almost true. Most of the locals wanted the jeep on the beach but one or two didn't. They decided to call the police and report 'dangerous driving'. The French sweeny turned up, an argument broke out and the Mayor resolved it. I believe the idea was 'my beach, my rules!'

Apparently many locals see vehicles on the beach as an essential part of the commemoration. So long as you are not an arse about it.

I know this as it was my Jeep they were arguing over! The cheer from the locals when I drove down onto the sand will stay with me forever. That and the french guy crying after I allowed him to sit in while the fireworks went off up and down the coast. I've never been to Normandy before but one thing that really hit home was how big a thing the liberation still is to many locals. Even those who never new the occupation.

Also - Thanks Tony for helping me with the dynamo issue! I hope the cidre went down well?

"Even those who never new the occupation"

I have been going to Normandy for on/off 40 years, I even remember seeing the line of sunken ships forming the first breakwater.

I still dont understand the French...love them or loath them they are just.........French

Some love us some dont, Ive had running's with a few (non M/V related) I've also had some laughs with a few.

Almost true. Most of the locals wanted the jeep on the beach but one or two didn't. They decided to call the police and report 'dangerous driving'. The French sweeny turned up, an argument broke out and the Mayor resolved it. I believe the idea was 'my beach, my rules!'

Apparently many locals see vehicles on the beach as an essential part of the commemoration. So long as you are not an arse about it.

I know this as it was my Jeep they were arguing over! The cheer from the locals when I drove down onto the sand will stay with me forever. That and the french guy crying after I allowed him to sit in while the fireworks went off up and down the coast. I've never been to Normandy before but one thing that really hit home was how big a thing the liberation still is to many locals. Even those who never new the occupation. Geoff said he learnt some new words from the encounter.

Also - Thanks Tony for helping me with the dynamo issue! I hope the cidre went down well?

Yes thanks! Cidre is a great sleeping draft. As you know my sleep was disturbed on night! Normandy is a great place, just don't call a Normande , French- they get upset. ;) I finally got Katy back on the beach after 70 years, and collected some sand. .

Found the Gendamarie on the whole very good. Was speaking to one on the 6th at Arromanches who told me they had 500 on duty in that particular area alone on that day!

In all, although there was some pre-worries about the passes and what it would entail, like many others we didn't get stopped all day on the 6th when inside the zone. Thought that organisation wise the cutting of fields for car parking around most Normandy sites was a great move. Made it very easy for those both travelling by car, like ourselves, and also in a military vehicle.

Found the Gendamarie on the whole very good. Was speaking to one on the 6th at Arromanches who told me they had 500 on duty in that particular area alone on that day!

In all, although there was some pre-worries about the passes and what it would entail, like many others we didn't get stopped all day on the 6th when inside the zone.

"Thought that organisation wise the cutting of fields for car parking around most Normandy sites was a great move. Made it very easy for those both travelling by car, like ourselves, and also in a military vehicle."

I agree that was a really good idea, and as per normal in France NO car parking charge. If that were in the UK we would be paying at least £5 each time we parked up........

Come on Jack give us a report.

Yeah, sorry Gary - I was just hanging out with Damien Lewis and the other Band of Brothers actors and stuff. Been flipping busy lately, this weekend I had lunch with Kate Adie and Dan Snow, drank champagne with Bruce Cromptom and the founder of World of Tanks, Victor Kislyi. I will put some more Normandy pics up!

10388073_793772857299903_6839701592263607381_n.jpg

10438128_10152472701999707_4116892065326489641_n.jpg

10364218_784283361582186_8054966600548278528_n.jpg

10302180_691049210943347_793875818745427700_n.jpg

10494764_793858740624648_2054422268956667971_n.jpg

Yeah, sorry Gary - I was just hanging out with Damien Lewis and the other Band of Brothers actors and stuff. Been flipping busy lately, this weekend I had lunch with Kate Adie and Dan Snow, drank champagne with Bruce Cromptom and the founder of World of Tanks, Victor Kislyi. I will put some more Normandy pics up!

Really Jack you hang out with some dodgy people Jack........and "get that air cut"