combat dealers on now chan 167 quest channel

griff66

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have enjoyed all the ones I've managed to see, what a collection he has! Don't forget its not made for military vehicle fans, but the general public, so will have the cheesey scripted moments.

Some very interesting vehicles and some colourful characters. Spoiled by the absurdly contrived script. I would be quite happy for them to show some interesting vehicles that they come across without the rubbish of pretending to buy and sell them on. I hate the "turning cool military collectables into cold hard cash" garbage. I see that the US version "combat cash" was pulled after the first series when even the presenters complained about it.

Could have been good. An opportunity wasted.

• 3 weeks later...

I managed to watch the episodes online (I don't have Quest), and I must say I do like this show a lot. Yes, the script is not always believeable and the acting is over-the-top sometimes, but I've know Bruce Crompton for years and he is a larger-than-life figure in person as well; very friendly too. His collection and the quality of his restorations are well known.

As stated before, this is a show for the general public, not a documentery for the MV crowd. This format was probably chosen so the show can be sold to TV stations worldwide (read: the US). ;)

I hope there will be a new season made, I will certainly watch it.

I have to agree with earlymb - I watched all six and found them OK. Like stated its TV so it has to have some drama. I saw stuff I havent seen before in places I've never been so in that respect its cool.

• 1 year later...

People seem to forget that when they turn on the telly what they are watching is entertainment and as such is scripted and the truth is skewed or twisted at best.

It has brought our hobby into the public domain more and has given us some larger than life characters to laugh at.

Take it for what it is.

Robin

The one thing I really hate is the 'bought for ten bob , cost two and six to renovate and sold for five times that giving X amount of profit' element that seems to have become mandatory in most of these type of programmes of late . We know that all these guys need to make a living and I don't begrudge anybody that - very few of us can afford to be charitable all the time - but it seems that the money is the be all and end all and just makes me cringe every time I see it .

I watched with interest the shoot off between Bruce and his wife using sniper rifles in last night's episode; in Bruce's case using a LE No 4 sniper rifle.

Modern sniper rifles are expected to achieve sub 1 MOA accuracy which equates to 1" at the 100 yd range they used. The No 4 rifle sniper was not that good but should still achieve 3 MOA; that is, a grouping of 3" at 100 yds.

I may be being extremely unkind to ex-para Bruce but their 6-9" groupings weren't very impressive.

I met Bruce at the war and peace, my dad told him he liked the show.

Bruce asked me if i liked it too, i replied that tv signals are a new thing in coastal lincs. He did have a laugh and i fussed the dog he had, talked to Bruces wife and we showed dog pictures to eachother.

Should see HMVF's Mark Barnes (Snapper) in this series. He was up there with the chaps doing some stuff for War History Online when they were filming some of the Hetzer stuff. We have some cool news coming from Bruce soon - have to keep a lid on it for now but one hell of a find :-)

Just been watching the latest episode, where Bruce was in Australia to deliver the Hetzer to the museum in Cairns. He also visited one of the HMVF forum members if I am not mistaken. Tim, who has a Ferret, took Bruce to see the remains of some of the WW2 coastal defences in a remote area of North Queensland.

I some cool news coming from Bruce soon - have to keep a lid on it for now but one hell of a find :-)
WHY, do you do this to us? :D

I liked S1, I think he's quite a character and his passion for collecting shows. I will teli S2 ASAP

I enjoy the programme, like all TV it is made to appeal to all not just us hardened "green" freaks as such it has to be scripted and simple to follow. However anything that promotes our hobby and shows it in a positive light is good surely ? Bruce and his team are characters and the world needs characters :D Good luck to them and if Bruce reads this, any chance of a guided tour of your collection ? ;)

Also on DailyMotion:

This uploader also has all the other episodes. :)

thanks for that, much better than You-tube.

Episode 3 was interesting to say the least, did not expect to see the Tiger 1 parts that were for sale in Czech Rep. At the time of filming , they were not for sale, but were on Milweb a few months ago.

Is it safe to assume "the twins" now have a new and monumental project on their hands? At any rate, the stuff popping up now is pretty amazing, those pak 40's lined up in Finland were quite the sight. I was surprised that guy let the Stuk 40 /L48 go for as low as it did.

the really funny part about this show is how they make a pile of rusted parts, that eventually turn into a running motorbike, seem like something you do in a weeks time.

I'm sure that actually seems plausible to a person who doesn't know which end of a screw-driver to grab.