combat dealers on now chan 167 quest channel

griff66

........I didn't know this until today , but after a quick search turns out my Turnmaster (sold by Lagun machine tools) is apparently a Colchester clone, or the what is today Clausing Colchester Harris........

Colchester sold their lathes into the US badged as Clausing and the model was the swing and between centres dimensions instead of a model name and max speed (like Master 2500) in the UK. The 17" lathe in the UK was the Mascot 1600. For a short time they were also sold as Harrison M450 before Harrison developed their own design which was a M400 with a raised centre height like a M500 but less so. However they all came out of the same factory in the UK. All the Colchester lathes of that period are very popular in the UK but of course the commercial market now is for CNC as manual lathes are regarded as out of the stone age.

David

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched the foray into Russia. I know its entertainment and done "tongue in cheek" but he did cross the line a couple of time notably in the restaurant. If looks could kill that waitress would have brought his career to a halt 😊😊

Cracked up at the reaction to the UAZ 452 😊😊

Colchester sold their lathes into the US badged as Clausing and the model was the swing and between centres dimensions instead of a model name and max speed (like Master 2500) in the UK. The 17" lathe in the UK was the Mascot 1600.
sure enough, pics of the mascot 1600 look exactly like my Turnmaster, they even copied the paint colors although mine is a light gray on top while the Colch is a greenish gray.

For a short time they were also sold as Harrison M450 before Harrison developed their own design which was a M400 with a raised center height like a M500 but less so. However they all came out of the same factory in the UK.
I've never seen a Harrison before but I must say that having the Y-Z dial controls reversed from left/right would really throw me off after 30 years of using them the other way around. Even my 13" Clausing from 1979 has the traditional arrangement. Makes you wonder how that came about?

All the Colchester lathes of that period are very popular in the UK but of course the commercial market now is for CNC as manual lathes are regarded as out of the stone age.

David

those were fighting words in some shops here at one time :-) CNC for production is fantastic, especially with a bar feeder, but I really don't see all that much advantage in CNC lathes for prototype and even short runs. Judging by the prices, a nice used Colchester 1600 still looks to be fetching $10K+ and a brand new Turnmaster clone will set you back a full $25K, so they haven't become typewriters just yet.

Just watched the foray into Russia. I know its entertainment and done "tongue in cheek" but he did cross the line a couple of time notably in the restaurant. If looks could kill that waitress would have brought his career to a halt
LOL, if the Russians are anything like the Serb's, then customer service is tenuous at best of times, much less if they feel you're not being respectful. The restaurant scenes always crack me up though, Bruce seems to find the most horrendous things on the menu from crickets in Asia to fermented fish? in Russia, poor Freddie.

Anyone know for sure what that last dish was?

it's really nice to see those guys stroll through Moscow like any other modern, 1st world Capitol though and no longer like walking thru Pyongyang with government minders on your heels.

Anyone know who the Italian collector in S3E1 was? They said his name was Maro(?) but they don't credit anyone at the end. I'm searching for an item and looking at his collection he might have one or know where to find one.

Thanks, Tom

Btw, it's no longer on daily motion but I found it on Youtube:

.....bump.....

Well, one whole week since I sent an email and it's been crickets. Oh well, it was worth a shot.

-Tom

a lot of these collectors don't want their personal info out there for a number of reasons, theft is one. with this stuff having the value it does, and usually sitting out in some out-building, it's understandable. Then there's that guy in Germany who had his Panther tank stolen by the government. :-(

Anyone have a link to Ep3?
for some reason Quest has not put E3 on you-tube yet. I wound up watching on their web-site, but I had to spoof my IP location to make it look like I was accessing from the UK. If your in the UK you should be able to watch it here

http://www.questtv.co.uk/video/combat-dealers-3-channel-islands-nazi-occupied-britain/

Edited by draganm

Well, one whole week since I sent an email and it's been crickets. Oh well, it was worth a shot.

Anyone have a link to Ep3?

-Tom

You could send the email again and explain that as you haven't had a reply, you wonder if it has even arrived. Also, you could ask rather than give you the collector's email address, would it be possible to forward your email to the collector and then he can contact you if he wants to.

If you haven't already given your location and used please and/or thank you several times in your original email, it won't hurt to do so this time.

Edited by MatchFuzee
Added last sentence.

S3-E3 was good BTW, I suspect not many people outside the UK know that a chunk of Great Britain was occupied by the Germans for all of WW2.

Also

nice to see they might finally pull that Sdkfz 8 body out of those tunnels before it completely turns to dust.

I mainly use Firefox,
I use Firefox so this is what I did. go to tools, add on's. Search for Hot spot Shield free VPN Proxy Unblock sites 1.2.87

add it to your browser, then in the upper right hand corner of your web-page by the Icons for home, favorites, etc. click on the symbol for Hotspot Shield and then in the window, virtual location. There are 12 countries to choose from, choose the symbol for UK. It asks for a password but you can type in any random thing you want.

Doing this and using a UK IP address I was able to go directly to the Quest homepage and watch the episode there. There are advertisements but not as bad or obnoxious as they are here in the US.

I use Firefox so this is what I did. go to tools, add on's. Search for Hot spot Shield free VPN Proxy Unblock sites 1.2.87

add it to your browser, then in the upper right hand corner of your web-page by the Icons for home, favorites, etc. click on the symbol for Hotspot Shield and then in the window, virtual location. There are 12 countries to choose from, choose the symbol for UK. It asks for a password but you can type in any random thing you want.

Doing this and using a UK IP address I was able to go directly to the Quest homepage and watch the episode there. There are advertisements but not as bad or obnoxious as they are here in the US.

That worked like a charm, thanks so much! :-D

If you want to see an episode again in the future (after they've gone from the Quest site), I use Video DownloadHelper to save it to my PC.

You could ask rather than give you the collector's email address, would it be possible to forward your email to the collector and then he can contact you if he wants to.

If you haven't already given your location and used please and/or thank you several times in your original email, it won't hurt to do so this time.

Match,

My original email was composed exactly like that. I never ask for contact info, rather ask someone to forward mine on. I'll send a follow-up email though...don't want to pester them but it would be nice to at least get an acknowledgement.

-----------

Draganm,

Thanks for the directions for the VPN proxy...worked like a charm! And of course as soon as you post it they put it up on YouTube...go figure! I had never heard of the occupation of the Channel Islands...that's pretty fascinating. I'll have to add them to my places to visit.

-Tom

glad to help out,

although I'd rather watch it on you-tube without the adverts. Hopefully they upload them in a reasonable time frame

as far as your Italian contact, there can't possibly be that many collectors in Italy who specialize in military communications equipment named Mauro and are fluent in English? maybe try some Italian miltaria forums using google translate?

looks like they're in Lombardy

I'm a hands on restorer in suffolk. I like this program, they have a buoyant informative mix that makes an intersting program. I remember a so called restorer guy near norwich telling me a few years back " that programs rubbish, they approached me to make it but we weren't interested" glad he said that as he wouldn't of been able to carry it off like Bruce and his crew!. lol keep doing what your doing Bruce !.

Kevin.

I agree, it's his likeability that carries the show , there's been other similar shows here and they were pretty bad , ended after 3 or 4 episodes.

Last nights was interesting, little jaunt around italy , got to see one of the Sdkfz 251's, possibly 251/7 pioneer? little visit to Militracks-Overloon.

still waiting for the Panther episode

To carry it off it needs an interested front person and an interesting topic. He can get where ordinary people would not get invited. It is a watchable mix of the serious and funny bits. Uncovering vehicles and people in a rich mix. Telling a story and giving insight to hidden gems. Addictive