New(!) Bailey bridge

Grasshopper

I work at Selhurst railway depot in Croydon. The nearby Tennison road bridge is being replaced and I thought that the temporary structure put in place was not dissimilar to a Bailey bridge. I saw the manufacturer of said bridge at a recent trade exhibition, and they confirmed that their design is basically just a metric version of the original design. Why change what works!?!

Please note, I have no connection with the bridge manufacturer or the companies involved in the bridge replacement project.

Vince

• 2 weeks later...

Great footage. Yes it was designed to be built by hand using a Squadron (or Regiment depending on Size/ length etc) but built panel by panel on rollers and boomed out across the gap, which is totally impractical for this task as no clearance behind gap to build and push from

Also to build and boom you also need a fair length behind the roller to enable bridge to be cantilevered over gap with enough height etc not to dip and dig into far bank, or worse still end up in the gap. It was the most versatile bridge ranging from a simply supported single span to multi span, arched, double stories and widths etc. The new version (Mabey Johnson) is lighter and stronger but maybe not as Squaddie proof as originals.

Gary

Edited by gazzaw