Driver CPC Exemptions

Thanks for the link, very interesting.

I have full class 1 HGV and have no intention of ever doing the 35 hrs waste of my time as primarily I use my class 1 for moving my own vehicles to and from shows, however I occasionally borrow an artic low loader from a friendly local haulier again to move my own vehicles (not for hire or reward) and just pay them for fuel. As a favour for this I do 2 or 3 days a year working for them when they are stuck for drivers during peak holiday periods. Up until now that has not been a problem as the 35 hours waste of time does not cut in until September this year, but after September it seems I may still be able to do it as I don't get paid for it, but they do get paid for the job....am I stretching it too far ?

Thanks for the link, very interesting.

I have full class 1 HGV and have no intention of ever doing the 35 hrs waste of my time as primarily I use my class 1 for moving my own vehicles to and from shows, however I occasionally borrow an artic low loader from a friendly local haulier again to move my own vehicles (not for hire or reward) and just pay them for fuel. As a favour for this I do 2 or 3 days a year working for them when they are stuck for drivers during peak holiday periods. Up until now that has not been a problem as the 35 hours waste of time does not cut in until September this year, but after September it seems I may still be able to do it as I don't get paid for it, but they do get paid for the job....am I stretching it too far ?

You probably are John, hire and reward relates to the vehicle even if the driver pilots the vehicle for love !

Having just finished the 35 hours , it is one huge industry expense not particularly well advised, we were shocked you could take the same 7 hour course five times to achieve your target, or look for different course topics.

I have a similar conundrum myself.

Even the examples on the DVSA website have the caveat that if you want to rely on the examples you should take legal advice!

Sad to say that notwithstanding reams and reams of so called "advice" (opinion) from all sorts of quarters the only way to bottom this and all similar road haulage related regulations is to test it in court....

I am not sure I want to be that guinea pig and therefore the only way to play it is to play it safe in my humble opinion......

What really winds me up about CPC That you can pass by attending not listening or learning anything the only thing you can fail on is forgetting to take your licence to the first course. You can sit the same course multiple times. Or believe it or not You can pay money to right person and they arrive through the post 6 weeks later. Who thinks up these scams

What really winds me up about CPC That you can pass by attending not listening or learning anything the only thing you can fail on is forgetting to take your licence to the first course. You can sit the same course multiple times. Or believe it or not You can pay money to right person and they arrive through the post 6 weeks later. Who thinks up these scams

Yeah, I sat through 7 hours on Wednesday, Learn How To Drive a Bus in a Classroom! :yawn: Was asked would I consider joining the training team. Politly declined, if I teach I have to belive in what I teach. Does anywhere else in Europe bother?

Yeah, I sat through 7 hours on Wednesday, Learn How To Drive a Bus in a Classroom! :yawn: Was asked would I consider joining the training team. Politly declined, if I teach I have to belive in what I teach. Does anywhere else in Europe bother?

As far as i am aware it originated because of the EEU but think the answer is

NO

The whole system seems to have gone into melt down! My D licence was taken on an automatic vehicle, however, now , because I have a manual car licence at NO COST :shocked: My D catergory will be updated to include manual.

REALLY?! First I've heard of that, and I asked about this ten years back when I took my Cat D test for the buses - they said at the time it couldn't happen! So, how does the conversion from an Auto to a manual 'D' ticket work, cause I'd like that too (Full manual car ticket here too, since 1981 even:nut:)!

You and me both! Contact DVLA , VOC, DCS Casework DG, DVLA Swansea SA99 1ZZ. The scource of the info was the management at work. So no reason to belive it isn't genuine. I have e mailed an enquiry to DVLA and am awaiting the reply.

OK, well, until you've heard back from them, there's little point in my adding to the queue, so if, when they tell you, can you let us know how they intend to make this happen (or not), please? I dare say a number of us on here will be waiting the news with suspiciously beer-less breath ;)

Yeah, I sat through 7 hours on Wednesday, Learn How To Drive a Bus in a Classroom! :yawn:…..

I think that is taking 'point of collection' a bit too far - buses belong on roads (and certainly not on dedicated guided bus routes). :coffee:

CPC has certainly put an end to 'occasional' driving to help people out which is a pity. I'm not sure it is doing anything to help improve the status of HGV drivers - elsewhere in Europe they seem to be treated with more respect then in UK.

Dear Mr Banner

Thank you for your email received on 30/5/14. Your email reference number is .

From 10th April 2014 changes to legislation will now allow drivers who have passed a driving test in a vocational vehicle, with automatic transmission, to have that entitlement upgraded to manual transmission, if they have previously passed a test in another vehicle with manual transmission.

You will need to request the upgrade from DVLA by letter, quoting your full driver number, full name and address. I am sorry this can not be done online.

Please send the letter to:

VOC DCS Casework

D6

DVLA

Swansea

SA99 1ZZ

If your driving licence is required for driver training, employment etc. in the near future you should not send your driving licence with your letter.

I'll go to top of our stairs!!

Edited by Tony B

I think that is taking 'point of collection' a bit too far - buses belong on roads (and certainly not on dedicated guided bus routes). :coffee:

Vehicles that run on 'Dedicated' bus routes, ie the ones with raised kerbs. The vehicle also has to be classified as a 'Locomotive' because you don't steer it.:-D There were some at Crawley, behind the front wheels were two dollies that connected with the kerbs and guide the bus. Trouble is , if you get a bit close to the standard kerb, as CPC says you should so the Womble can stagger on and not fall down the gap. The dollies can catch, catapulting you back into the traffic. INOVATION!!!! Don't you just love it! :-X

Not wholly on topic but just as a heads up, I sent my HGV renewal on April 2nd - 3 weeks befor expiry as they say it could take up to 3 weeks - and got it back yesterday, 4 weeks after it expired but apparently only issued 5 days ago. Good thing I didn't need it!

OK, new keyboard please. For some odd reason, mine appears to be covered in coffee at this time ;) You NEVER hand me a straight line like that, the tasteless possibilities for one-line ripostes are almost endless :evil::rotfl::nut:

Oh, and lemme know if your D1/C1 entitlement is still there, when you get it back, please :)

Hello all

i work for a large vehicle rental company and we have recently completed our driver cpc course via our ex army Jaupt approved instructor. The business decided to put everyone with any form of hgv entitlement through the course whether that be grandfather rights on C1 or those with C&E like myself whether driver, manager or director. The instructor, when not training cpc, sorts out the logistics for the company so being 'one of us' rattled through the content which he varied and spread over the last three years. I would not like to have had to cram all the training into one week though, even so some people were caught napping in class!

Did I learn anything new? Very little, it seems that in common with a lot of h&s training it is trying to teach common sense. The section on tacho hours vs working time directive was particularly mind boggling.

I now carry a cpc card to go with my driving licence photo card & digital tacho card to prove I can drive HGVs to & from our customers, pity they cannot combine two or all of them into one card.

Regards

Nick