Fv434 02FA23

David Herbert

I have just purchaced this vehicle but not got it home yet.

02FA23 001.JPG

Does anyone have a photo of it in service ? It had been upgraded to Bowman but not used and was disposed of via Withams in early 2011 - did anyone see it there? I am intending to put it back to its condition around 2002 with Clansman and the white interior which I think came in about then. I need the instalation manual for the Clansman fit in Fv434 (not 432) if anyone can show/lend/sell/scan etc. me one please.

David

Yes it is indeed. To be fair he had put the link to the videos in his advert so I knew about the car crushing. When questioned he couldn't really see that it actually reduced the value to me and that replacing both front mudguards & braces, sidelights, indicators and one headlight guard was a completely unnecessary expence. The rear mudguards are both repairable I think, but need new braces both sides. Simple but so unnecessary.

He had bought it direct from Withams in 2011 to recover burned out stolen cars from the moors as part of a police contract. I should be gratefull that that contract turned out to be more trouble than it was worth so the 434 had very little use. After playing with it a bit he put it on Ebay and then I bought it.

The crane is complete and works but the seccond (smaller) ram needs the rod replacing as the chrome has got quite bad. Has anyone got a nice shinny one that they don't need before I get my ram re-rodded?

Thanks for the interest

David

• 1 month later...

I have now got my 434 home and have a much better idea of what needs doing. With the help of a number of kind people on the forum I have aquired quite a pleasing pile of the parts that were missing, and I keep getting calls from the guy that I bought it from saying that he has found another bit of it if I want it. As he is not an enthusiast but a purely commercial business I must say that I am very gratefull - most people wouldn't bother. Great bloke!

It starts and drives beautifully but has enough issues that I can make my mark usefully and of course it has lost most of its removable bits but the shopping list is getting shorter.

The biggest problem I have hit is that in the conversion to Bowman radio system (which I am reversing), the Clansman radio shelf has been removed. Does anyone know of a 434 that still has its Clansman radio shelf in place that I could measure up, or of course a spare shelf would be good too! This shelf is not very similar to a 432 one as it hangs from the roof and only has room for one radio plus the commander's IC box. Dougy put the following photo on the 432 forum but I don't know whose 434 it is. The photo is taken looking down through the commander's hatch and you can see the slew ram of the crane below the radio shelf (with writing on it). I can't believe that there are no Clansman 434s left - please can someone point me towards one.

fv434 Radio shelf.jpg

Another 'want' is that some kind person has pinched the engine oil filler cap which is a fairly small brass flip top device with "engine oil" engraved on the top and a female screw thread on the bottom to fit the top of the filler pipe (about 2"). If anyone has one that they could part with it would be a great help.

If anyone can help please PM me.

Thanks, David

Hi David,

It my be worth having a contacting this chap on here....

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?9032-Fv-434&highlight=fv434

Not sure if he still has the 434, but I'm sure I have seen a pic of it which looks like it still has a table.

The pic that you have posted, would have been taken in Withams yard a couple of years ago when 430s were still being auctioned!

Dougy

Thanks Dougy,

Yes I did know about Metroman but he seems not to have been on HMVF since 2011 when he sold his 436. There was no mention of him selling the 434 but the last reference to it was in 2009 at about the time that he got the 436. You are right that it had its radio table in it, there is a photo fairly early in the thread.

I suspected that the photo I pinched from you was at Withams - well done for having the foresight to record what at the time you didn't need and then making it available to the rest of us. Thanks

David

Thanks, Grasshopper, That's probably much the same distance from me that Maidstone is, about 1000 miles round trip! If the new owner sees this, please make contact. Same applies to any other 434 owners, there must be more of you out there.

David

Thanks Peter, I was trying to present myself as a carefull, responsible and caring owner of an historic vehicle and you have just blown my cover!

Actually it coped with it very well and cleaning up was easy as the ground is relatively dry so the 434 didn't get caked with runny mud. I was very impressed with how agile it is. I had my neighbour's 18 acre field to play in which had just had the crop taken off but there is a very rough strip with a double row of trees along two edges which is ideal as it is much more fun than just doing ovals in a big empty space. Apart from the bit in the photo it was suprising how little sign there was of where we had been. Also it is now steering much better than when I got it so a very good evening's fun.

David

• 1 year later...

Thanks Topdog but I did get an oil filler cap from another forum member some time ago. Sorry but I should have updated the thread. I was able to measure up someone elses radio table but have not made a replica yet so would still be interested in a real one if anyone has a spare. It is quite different from a fv432 one and hangs from the roof rather than bolting down to the sponson plate.

I am also trying to collect up a set of 180 new track pads. I have some but need lots more if anyone has a little pile in a corner.

Dale, sorry, today got rather silly but I will get a photo of my beacon mount for you. I will call in next time I can but always seem to be very pushed for time when I am passing your part of the world so it might be a while.

David

Edited by David Herbert

I'm glad you stayed up late Dougy,

thank you very much, just what i was looking for.

Is there ANYTHING you DONT have photo's of ?

in fact, forget i said that, it would start a whole new thread !

Some nostalgia for you in exchange Dougy !

Dougy up high.jpg

Remember when you used to come up and play ?

Come back soon !

• 2 weeks later...

The wonky wanky light mount you have is relatively new. For many years we just made an arm out of a bit of plate which we welded to some bar and then fitted the connection on the end with the other end having a suitable size hole drilled in it to allow us to bolt it to the jib near the high point at the curve when stowed. We then wired them into the outlet near the 3rd mans hatch where you can connect a work light. So many versions out there.

Edited by Tiffy_massive