Land Rover Series 3 Restoration

Here is my latest piece on my restoration for the earlier bits go to www.nickysmith.me BUT I will be posting on here as well in the hope my mistakes can help some other folks and of course there will be me asking questions as well! My latest wonder is how to strip out the Artic Heater that's in this Landy!

I've been looking forward to a couple of days off so I could get stuck into the Land Rover again but the weather hasn't been on my side. I did get to do a fair bit yesterday before the heavens opened for good but today it has been raining since I got up so I shall take solace in hunting ebay for bargain parts that I need but cannot afford.

So yesterday I jumped up bright and early to the comment from Wifey of "Why don't you have a lie in?" You would think that after 15 years together she would know I ma still a big kid at heart and with something as tempting on the drive as I have sleep is an awkward chore that just has to be done in the shortest time possible!

My plan of attack was straight forward...I wanted to weld up those holes in the passenger foot well. First off was the near side wing as this is very badly dented and out of shape and the replacement is waiting in my shed to be fitted. I disconnected all of the wiring for the lights and figured out a bolt at a time exactly where abouts they were all located by thinking to myself "well that should come off now" only to find it wouldn't and then searching for the offending bolts they fitted as overkill at the factory.

Whilst taking off the wing I realised that the front bumper was in a bad state of affairs and could do with replacing so it was whipped off using a wheel brace and brute force.

014_zpscbd275d4.jpg

024_zpsc8127547.jpg

With all of this of I could now access the front floor well without having to perform contortionist acts with a welder in my hand. The area was ground back to give me some clean metal to weld to and off I set with the welder...

020_zps88154f6d.jpg

The welder wouldn't work and it took me some time to figure out why the feed wasn't playing. It wouldn't feed because the top couple of layers of weld had gone rusty, when I thought back to the welders last use I realised it was over four years ago so it wasn't surprising really. With the rusty wire stripped out off I went to weld and play again. The floor pan is now hole free but the rain kicked in before I got to grind my over enthusiastic welds down so that's my first job for when the weather clears.

The "Artic Weather heater" that's in this Landy has bits all overt the place including this heater in front of the radiator!

018_zps8d683dbf.jpg

So I think I will strip the lot out altogether once the bodywork is sorted.

After stripping the wing off I found the normal heater to have rusty holes in it and on the bracket mounting it to the body work so this was stripped out ready for a replacement once I get to the putting it back together stage.

021_zps22645f8b.jpg

022_zps17d96355.jpg

The only thing ordered this week are a pair of battery clamps for the terminals. Once the weather clears I will be starting on the painting of he chassis I can reach and then the refitting of the floor pan that was removed whilst I was welding.

Landy Project Costs

Land Rover £375

Sanding Discs £11.70

Ignition Barrel £20

Heritage letter £21.75

2x Batteries and rear 1/4 light £35

Pair Battery Terminal Clamps £3.99

TOTAL £467.44

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Turns out that "Heater in front of the Radiator is an oil cooler...I live and learn! :D

It's Alive!

Main

Posted by min200 Fri, May 09, 2014 10:34:47

Seeing as the rain had held off this morning and I have some time to kill before work I decided to see if I could get the electrics on the old girl fired up. I wired up a new battery connector link, not bad for the total cost of less than £6, and set to replacing the ignition barrel.

002_zps0a26f024.jpg

001_zpsc777f17c.jpg

In a rather unusual turn of events this all went very well with no major problems arising or bits falling off as I was doing it so all was wired up in less than 20 minutes.

Now was the moment of truth...I turned the ignition on and there was life!! The wiring loom works across the board and the engine turns over nicely, I knew the engine wasn't seized but it is nice to hear the starter motor working after being parked up in the corner of that farmyard for so long!

I even managed to find all of the screws for the steering column cover and put that back on along with freeing up the choke cable.

003_zpsacbbd453.jpg

005_zpsf5dbcbab.jpg

So I am like a kid at Christmas now happy that the 24v system can stay in but seeing as that Artic heater was working just fine I am back in two minds about taking it out again! Thankfully there is plenty to do so no rush to make that decision.

• 2 weeks later...

Steady Progress

Main

Posted by min200 Sat, May 17, 2014 19:34:57

I have done a few things over the last couple of days but the tinterweb was down so I couldn't update!

Started to underseal the chassis and bulkhead, I had forgotten what a messthat stuff makes and how the hell does it end up all over you even when you think you are being careful! Still the results are great with the chassis looking like new.

003_zpsfcd7dfa1.jpg

004_zpse34e69e5.jpg

005_zps359fb297.jpg

006_zps67af22fd.jpg

007_zps1d4c3098.jpg

008_zps0752ebbe.jpg

009_zpse69afe24.jpg

010_zps6659a242.jpg

There is still plenty to do under there but at least two thirds is done which is nice!

I have repaired and refitted the old heater I removed as it is 24v and if I can save a few pennies here and there all the better. After refitting I tested it and it works perfectly.

Next step is going to be refitting the replacement wing along with loosening up the exhaust bolts at the manifold because whilst undersealing I noticed the exhaust has been more or less completely flattened in one stop under the chassis so will need to be replaced. Im quite glad I have seen it if I am honest because it would have been a pig of a job once the wing was back on!

More pics to follow soon.

Primer

Main

Posted by min200 Mon, May 19, 2014 16:20:03

I have been taking advantage of the glorious weather we have been having which has arrived at the same time as my days off of work which has been superb!

Saying that by taking advantage of I mean I have been out and about most of the time on my motorbike but I have still managed to get a couple of bits done.

I sanded down the bodywork trying to remove some more of the layers upon layers of paint that the Army have slapped on but I don't think I will ever get a completely smooth surface, still this will ad to the character of the old girl I suppose!

043_zpsa395b8cf.jpg

I primed up some of the rusty areas under the bonnet and on the front panel.

042_zpsa9f33679.jpg

Then I set about patching a few holes in the body work where old bolts used to come through making sure I made the two patches on the roof watertight.

046_zps5e97d131.jpg

045_zpse49430e9.jpg

My next big removal problem is inside there is an old radio rack fitted to the floor that had flat head screws through to welded bolts underneath the floor. I cant get to the bolts with a grinder and the flatheads are either seized solid or rusted enough so as to give no purchase. Maybe I will grind off the old uprights and use this old rack as some sort of holder. No rush to decide it's not in the way.

Once its a bit cooler I will finish the under sealing of the chassis then we will be onto the mechanical side of things which I am looking forward to!

Not a lot done to the Landy Project due to the crap weather!

I refitted the passenger side floor pan today along with new nuts and bolts. Also filled up the radiator with water to check for leaks as I have promised my nephew that we will try and get the old girl running when he visits next weekend.

Oh the Landy has also been named.....we shall call him "Mator" as in the rusty old pick up in the film Cars. Thanks to a close family friend, you know who you are, who came up with it last week and now its stuck whenever I try to talk about anything Land Rover related!

Well I have been jumping underneath Mator the Landy between rain storms Trying to get the under sealing finished but as I was making some really good headway in a rain free couple of hours I ran out of underseal.

So a quick trip to the shops to buy some more, and my god hasn't the stuff gone up in price!, I gave the rain a chance to blow back in and it's now coming down in a steady drizzle the type of when you look out you think "It's not too bad" but within minutes you are drenched. No more playing out today before work now then.

On a more positive note I have just bought a whole new/replacement set of 24v lights for the old girl so that's another major parts find scrubbed off of my list.

I must pick some petrol up before Saturday so my nephew and I can try and start it.

Landy Project Costs

Land Rover £375

Sanding Discs £11.70

Ignition Barrel £20

Heritage letter £21.75

Floor pan nuts & bolts £6.50

Grinding disc £2.25

Under Seal £8.99

Complete set of lights £85

TOTAL £570.18

Racking & Bolts

Main

Posted by min200 Sat, May 31, 2014 19:11:06

Today the last of the FFR racking came out of the Landy along with more bolts than I can believe! Honestly I must have removed quarter of a ton in metal from the motor!

Still looks a lot better in there now with access from the front to the back without having to get out and walk around to each door!

037_zps0b7398c4.jpg

028_zps8b4c0f12.jpg

This also involved moving the seat belt holders to the side panel. Now these seat belts are about knackered but I wanted to make sure the bolts were the right size for the holes on the side and if I am honest I am not sure the actual belt tensioners are mounted in the right place as they seem to snag at a funny angle when the belt is returned.

Moved from here...

025_zpsf571e940.jpg

To here...

026_zps87287b90.jpg

Then my Brother and nephew arrived so the big moment had come to see if I could get the old thing running. I put some fuel into the drivers side tank switched the changeover to RH side...

849fbd28-ca0a-45da-b104-f4d3094664b8_zpsf4e02293.jpg

And nothing. It turned over fine but no firing up. Now I am not sure if I have the tank switch on the right tank and will endeavour to find out.

Not to be defeated I poured a little fuel into the carb and it fired up on the first turn of the key and ran for about ten seconds!!!! SO the engine runs just fine! It will need a good service but it will be staying in for now :)

All in all a pretty good day!

Well after grabbing 30 minutes to myself this morning I have had a good nose through the fuel system. It has a manual primer much like an old diesel? and a clear glass bulb that you could see the fuel sitting in if it was coming through at all.

But there is no fuel coming through at all and if im honest the fuel pipes look past their best as well as there being jelly in the bottom of the glass bulb.

It's the old fuel that's been sat in there that long its turned bad and reduced to jelly!

So I will have to strip down the whole fuel system so I have the opportunity to change it over from twin tanks if I feel like it but at the moment I am not sure. I will be taking the drivers wing off for access to the fuel lines and pumps as well as the brake and clutch cylinders so do I go the whole hog and stick a 200tdi lump in it or do I keep it original 24v petrol...decisions decisions.

the 200tdi is a good lump, even without the turbo it produces enough grunt.

the series 3 a good motor? yes, the wife had a discovery 3, went to a D90 and ended up in a converted/adapted series 3 109.

i run a short wheel base series 3 as every day driver. i love the spartan way of life. can't wait till my 2,25 diesel 2a is back on the road, and my 88lw with recovery crane.

cheers,

Arjan

Whip the pump off and lave a look at the diaphragm inside - also the poppet valves; if you have jellied fuel it could be the valves are bunged up or the diaphragm has rotted - or both. Other thing to check is the cork gasket on the change over tap - they can shrink and leak air in which case the pump will not pick up

Whip the pump off and lave a look at the diaphragm inside - also the poppet valves; if you have jellied fuel it could be the valves are bunged up or the diaphragm has rotted - or both. Other thing to check is the cork gasket on the change over tap - they can shrink and leak air in which case the pump will not pick up

That's a great piece of advice cheers! I will have a nose when the rain stops tomorrow :)

Sorry meant to post this yesterday but time got away with me!

Scrubbing.

Main

Posted by min200 Tue, June 03, 2014 16:18:37

I had quite a lot of time on my hands today because I don't have to be at work until this evening for my last CPC course (what a bloody waste of time and an obvious money maker for those in control but that's another whine for another day)

SO as I looked first at the sky hoping the clouds would keep their water then at the dog who sat there with her lead in her mouth I went for a wander and contemplated what to do for the day. I had ordered some primer for the Landy over the weekend but it hadn't arrived yet, that was until I got home! There sat on the doorstep was my big shiny tin of primer! So my day was planned!

First I poked out the Landy's eyes that were full of water and then set to scrubbing the roof down as it still had some dirt layers and mould on from the the years it was stood.

003_zps5e76dd0c.jpg

Before the scrubbing...

001_zpsb10e9135.jpg

After the scrubbing!

002_zpsf878c819.jpg

And whilst I was throwing water around I even gave the engine bay a good scrub down!

004_zpse239c475.jpg

A rumbling stomach halted play as gave time for the water to dry off but then I got stuck into sanding down the bonnet and roof. This done and a wipe down later it was time for the primer to come out!

I set to using a cheap gloss roller from Wilkinsons as I had read somewhere that it worked quite well on metal. Seeing as this old motor will never be a show course car I thought I would give it a go and I have to say it works very well!

This is just the first coat and I expect it will take at least 3 to give a reasonable finish but considering I was starting with a pigs ear paintwork wise the results so far are promising! Its also really nice to see some progress on the outside rather than just underneath!

006_zps27ee8d35.jpg

008_zpsb9d3551f.jpg

010_zps88fd9312.jpg

011_zpscb9ebf6e.jpg

Landy Project Costs

Land Rover £375

Sanding Discs £11.70

Ignition Barrel £20

Heritage letter £21.75

Floor pan nuts & bolts £6.50

Grinding disc £2.25

Under Seal £8.99

Complete set of lights £85

5 Litres Primer £24.99

TOTAL £595.17

Last week was my long rota week at work so I didn't do a lot on the Landy but this week has been my short week so two uninterrupted days off mid week whilst the kids are at school and Wifey is at work so I got stuck right in!

With our annual holiday fast coming up cash is tight so I have been doing the few bits I can without spending anymore cash. So first up was scraping off the loose paint on the back end and then putting on the first coat of primer. A second coat of primer was then put on the rest of the bodywork as well as on the back end.

001_zpsca73a261.jpg

002_zps82a8e107.jpg

I havn't done the door as its scrap, well the front ones are as well but one coat of primer makes the old girl look a bit better on the drive!

I managed to get the rear lights undone as they were seized solid and then I set to attacking the old frame that held the radios to the rear floor when it was in use as a comms unit. They were flat head screws into two bolts that were seized solid so I had to attack the framework with a grinder. This was all done on the inside because I couldn't get the grinder anywhere the bolts underneath. After twenty minutes of grinding and banging and swearing the bloody thing came out!

Then I set to finishing the last of the underseal. I bloody hate that job but finally it is all done along with my arms and the clothes I was wearing. So good riddance to that job.

Now I am hunting hard for a cheap set of doors to put on then once painted the bodywork will be done.

New units at Paddock spares, Part no: ex VAT prices are:

safari door RH series 3 2007U 89,00

Door bottom RH series 3 2006R 49,50

Door bottom LH series 3 2006L 49,50

a good source is Ebay, preloved for used bits, if to expensive i would go for new, free shipping at paddocks at a order above 50 pounds.

no connection, just a happy customer.

Had a spare hour this morning so I thought I would follow the fuel system through and see if it was a simple fix like a split pipe or seal gone somewhere I had suspected the primer pump was knackered but it all looked ok.

This proved fruitless after climbing under in and around the Landy. When I dropped the seat base trapping my finger between it and the seat frame I had had enough. When I saw the blood I just laughed to ,myself thinking that this was the icing on the cake!

So I took a few minutes out sticking a plaster on my finger wondering what the hell could be the problem with this twin tank system. That's when I decided it may be better to have fuel in both tanks even though there is a tank switch as it is literally the only thing I hadn't done.

A quick trip to the petrol station later I put the fuel into the empty side tank and tried to prime the pump....the fuel pulled through no problem at all! At this point I started to get my hopes up and pulled the choke out gripped the key and gave it a turn....

It fired straight up and revved its nuts off so I pushed the choke in and it still revved its nuts off so off it was turned again! Talk about happy though the fuel system works!

After a bit more looking around the carb I am pretty sure the needle is stuck but if a carb rebuild is all I need to do I am very pleased! Im still looking for the ever elusive body parts but it will probably be new doors the way I am going.

The next thing to buy after the doors will be a clutch cylinder to see if that can be freed up or whether it will need replacing.

Not a bad morning at all :)