1941 international td18

I recently aquired a 1941 International TD18 dozer its ex army and underneath the red paint there is the good old olive drab.

224_zps395dac32.jpg

225_zps03a012cd.jpg

226_zps90bdf077.jpg

As can be seen it was fitted with an aftermarket cab which i have removed but in all fairness it has protected the controls etc.

1812_zps9145b569.jpg

1822_zpsf4ee3607.jpg

It runs and drives as it shouild, all the clutches are free, the hydraulics and rear double drum winches work and there are no major leaks. I am just going to do cosmetic work on it then flash it over in a fresh coat of olive drab

Jim.

Nice one Jim! When you say runs and drives as it should, does it start on petrol and switch over as original?

Hi Adrian, yes it starts on petrol then switches to diesel just as it should. The only reason i bought it was because it only needs minor work to get it ready to show. I didnt want another long term project.

Jim.

Hi Jim, I expect that you know that it has had a post war TD18A engine conversion fitted. The war time engines had both inlet and exhaust on the RH side of the heads and had very little room for water in the heads. If the machine was working hard and ran out of diesel, or even if it was really hot and you turned it off without letting it idle for a while to cool down first, the heads would crack very easily. The 18A engine was basicly the same block and accessories but with cross flow heads that were much tougher and there was a conversion kit offered by International to fit the later engine as the early ones died. Before I got my TD18 I looked at quite a few and more than half had the 18A engine fitted.

Also the extra pulleys in the centre of the winch have been added, probably for mole draining. If you need any bits or info I may be able to help so PM me if you need anything.

David

Hi Jim, I expect that you know that it has had a post war TD18A engine conversion fitted. The war time engines had both inlet and exhaust on the RH side of the heads and had very little room for water in the heads. If the machine was working hard and ran out of diesel, or even if it was really hot and you turned it off without letting it idle for a while to cool down first, the heads would crack very easily. The 18A engine was basicly the same block and accessories but with cross flow heads that were much tougher and there was a conversion kit offered by International to fit the later engine as the early ones died. Before I got my TD18 I looked at quite a few and more than half had the 18A engine fitted.

Also the extra pulleys in the centre of the winch have been added, probably for mole draining. If you need any bits or info I may be able to help so PM me if you need anything.

David

Yes I knew the heads had been changed but I thought as parts are hard to find and the probability of a genuine TD18 having good heads was slim. I went with the more practical option of buying one with the mods already done.

As for the exra pulleys on the rear I have already removed them as they were from the hard nose of a Cat D7 or D8 with cable operated blade.

Thanks for the offer of spares, all I am looking for is the two head lamp guards, either type will do. Also two enamel Bucyrus Erie name plates that attach to the hydraulic arms.

Jim.

Jim,

Actually the later heads are vastly better than the originals and most people don't see the difference. The earlier heads are almost impossible to find to the extent that when I got mine there were quite a lot of take out engines sitting around with the rear head missing (which seems to go first) and no other fault. The other common fault with TD18 engines is that the (wet) liners corrode through from the water side because in those days it was relatively unusual to use anti-freeze so there was no corrosion inhibitor to stop it. The result looks like wood worm.

As for the headlamp guards and Bucyrus Erie plates; I have been keeping an eye open for both for the best part of 20 years without any luck. If you find either I would be interested. The guards are easy enough to make but I never even found a pattern. Your tractor must have lead a very sheltered life to still have the set of plates on the RH dozer frame. Usually the rust gets behind them and breaks the corners out of the brass plates.

Do you want the correct type of Le Tourneau scraper box to pull behind it ?

David

Easiest way to describe a mole plough is to quote from the dictionary!

'...A plough in which a pointed iron shoe attached to an upright support is drawn along beneath the surface, making a hollow drainage channel resembling a mole’s burrow...'

The Massey Ferguson one shown here is a small hydraulic mounted one, as you can appreciate from the depth they work at they're a very high draft implement usually needing larger powerful tractors, such as the TD18, to operate efficiently.

mfmoleplough006.jpg