Trailer "T" Plate - reflectors

Does anyone know of a source for the small red reflectors that fit inside the T-plate?

If not, I thought I might try casting some in red tinted clear resin using a flexible silicone mould taken from an undamaged original.

The faceted backs seem to be "chromed" with a coating like that used on plastic model cars and bikes. I wondered whether to try one of the modellers chrome effect paints to replicate this or even burnish on some thin silver foil but does anyone know of a better way to replcate this?

Thanks

sk

Hi Simon,

A friend of mine is making repro T plates, he found some reflectors but I cant recall what they were, he is sending me pictures when his latest batch is done so I'll ask when he's not as hectic.

Carleton

some progress - silicone mould made from original using Ferrero Rocher plastic box as a mould tray. Even the tiny lettering around the edge of the reflector will be reproduced. I've kept the walls of the mould deliberately thick so there is no danger of deformation.

IMG_2097.jpg

I will sand off and polish the pouring scar as its on the flat front surface of the reflector. The resin polishes up to a glass like surface.

To reproduce the mirror finish on the back of the reflectors, I will airbrush on this paint obtained from a craft store - it's slightly less reflective than the original coating - but not noticeably so

IMG_2093.jpg

Just waiting for some special red pigment for the casting resin and then I'll try my first cast.

sk

Edited by simon king

Thin adhesive chrom foil can also be bought for model kits.

It might also be worth a try http://www.bare-metal.com/bare-metal-foil.html

Thanks for the suggestion - I did think about that but I understand bare-metal foil, which is like thin baking foil, has a shiny and non shiny side. I fear the adhesive is on the non shiny side so it wont be reflective on the side that it needs to be if I stick it to the back of the red plastic reflector. Also I fear it wont fit over all the little pyramids you can see.

Just now I've tried airbrushing on the mirror paint onto the reflectors - which have all lost some or most of their original reflective coating and I have to say I am pleasantly suprised by the mirror effect produced. You can hardly see any difference from the original.

sk

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that - did see those but I may take a punt if the moulding doesn't work out - I'd need to replace all 8 though as they're markedly different from the originals.

I've managed clear and orange reflectors to the original pattern so far but am still searching for how to get a red rich tint to the resin like the original plastic - put in too much colour and it goes cloudy - I'll keep trying. Perhaps it's just a case of using Tamiya clear red paint on a colourless reflector

I could get them moulded in china relatively easily as i have a useful contact but I'd need to getat least 2500 moulded - and I don't think there's a demand of that size

sk

• 3 months later...

Finally achieved something like a satisfactory result.

It proved impossible to colour the clear resin to match the original, so used Tamiya Clear red paint superficially instead. Sanded it flat with 12000 grit wetand dry and then gave it a coat or two of Klear acrylic floor polish (an old plastic modellers trick for canopies) to restore the glossy finish.

Used mirror paint - as above - on the rear.

This method of reproducing reflectors obviously isn't effective for mass production but it works if you're missing one or two reflectors.

IMG_2333.jpg

sk

Here's the finished T plate. It's unlike any of the ones I have seen on here in that the white "T" is a separate pressing riveted onto the backing plate. The reflectors were/are kept in place by a gob of glazing putty. I suspect it's civilian or post war but it's an acceptable substitute until I turn up one of the pressed type

IMG_2334.jpg

• 9 months later...
Hi Simon,

A friend of mine is making repro T plates, he found some reflectors but I cant recall what they were, he is sending me pictures when his latest batch is done so I'll ask when he's not as hectic.

Carleton

Hello,was just reading with interest your post re repo T plates,i was wondering if your friend has made/making some as i might be interested in a couple for my trailers if they same as origional type

• 3 months later...

Is there any news about these plates?

One my trailer were triangle refelctor, but I think that te reflectors can be removed and be placed on a repro T-plate.

IMAG0763.jpg

Hello,was just reading with interest your post re repo T plates,i was wondering if your friend has made/making some as i might be interested in a couple for my trailers if they same as origional type

2013-10-02 16.41.37.jpg

IMAG0760.jpg

IMAG0762.jpg