IWM Duxford - Military Vehicle Show

Caddy

I heard yesterday that we've got a good number of vehicles booked in, including some rare ones for the anniversary of WW1.

It's on the 15th June at IWM Duxford (near Cambridge on the M11). Deadline for exhibitors registration (free entry) is the 9th May, after which you would need to pay on the day. Don't leave it too late!

As ever we'll have the vehicle cavalcade around the airfield and a tracked vehicle demonstration at the end of the day.

More information is here - http://www.iwm.org.uk/events/iwm-duxford/military-vehicle-show-0.

Entry Form : 2014 Military Vehicle Show Exhibitor Entry Form.pdf

Camping Form : 2014 Military Vehicle Show Exhibitor Camping Booking Form.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well tomorrow's show day and I think everything is done - I know I am, 3 days of graft and I'm knackered!

Chieftain ARRV won't be running this year due to a Pied Wagtail building its nest on it.

I have the dubious honour of driving the Prauga around the airfield, got my ear defenders ready.

Looking forward to tomorrow

It's not its heritage that makes it dubious, but rather the fact that no one can tell me why there is a flashing red light in the cab and when it was painted someone must of got the paint from a local council as it's the same colour as a park bench......

Apart from that for an air cooled straight 6 she drives well.

I admit when the Praga passed me on the cavalcade it was doing quite a turn. The colour where did that come from the council it’s not the original shade of green, that’s much darker closer to flat NATO green. The red light in the cab amongst the old Commer instruments could it be its not charging, a thought. It was nice to see it going, smoke and all.

I admit when the Praga passed me on the cavalcade it was doing quite a turn. The colour where did that come from the council it’s not the original shade of green, that’s much darker closer to flat NATO green. The red light in the cab amongst the old Commer instruments could it be its not charging, a thought. It was nice to see it going, smoke and all.

It was originally in a desert scheme, but got quite scabby. They didn't have any sand colour left, but plenty of park bench. She wanted to go faster but the tyres were a little out of shape so it was a little bumpy any faster.

I hope I waved ;)

What does the label by the light say (if there is one)?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

It's the only thing on the dash that does work, it has no label. I don't think its linked with the charging as the batterys are good, it might be to do with the air brakes.

Whereabouts on the dash? I know some bods who own them so will ask the question :-)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Top of the dash, slightly right of the middle. There are two lights I think it's the left hand one of them.

On another note it was great to see the three Great War trucks come off the road onto the site. Really enjoyed gate duty, especially watching the weasel - not the tracked type, but the furry type that was working the hedgerows near us.

Not wishing to contradict any one the original colour was not yellow or sand it was green when it came from the Cranwell Institute of Technology in the seventies. It was painted yellow on its second rebuild for no good reason. When the vehicle first arrived at Duxford the engine was seized the doors welded shut and the instruments missing. Members of museum staff rebuilt the vehicle over the then closed winter period under the direction of their in-house fitter. At the time the company I worked for had Dutzer people over from Germany who kindly gave their free time to free the engine, Attached photo taken in 86 Praga as it should be Show 02-09-86.jpg

Duxford was a great day. We really had a blast. We drove in convoy with the Dennis, AEC and Hallford the 30 miles from a friends house where we stabled the wagons overnight:

IMG_4974_zps2f967ad9.jpg

IMG_5008_zpsf808fed6.jpg

When we parked up we got mobbed so I went for a wander when I noticed this rather appealing Triumph:

IMG_4982_zps338d43e5.jpg

The circuits (with bumps) was good fun and we met all sorts of interesting vehicles and odd characters:

IMG_4986_zps67f429d5.jpg

IMG_4991_zps79edb4cd.jpg

IMG_4995_zpsebaa7e43.jpg

IMG_4997_zps7f6afe60.jpg

IMG_5001_zps835ef441.jpg

We stopped on the way back to move around the passengers

IMG_5021_zps5cb11703.jpg

Not long after this photo was taken Steve had to do an emergency stop to prevent the Dennis crashing into a red car which pulled out directly in front of us. A very close call.

Then safely back to put the Dennis to bed:

IMG_5023_zps50d8153b.jpg

Until the next time.

Not wishing to contradict any one the original colour was not yellow or sand it was green when it came from the Cranwell Institute of Technology in the seventies. It was painted yellow on its second rebuild for no good reason. When the vehicle first arrived at Duxford the engine was seized the doors welded shut and the instruments missing. Members of museum staff rebuilt the vehicle over the then closed winter period under the direction of their in-house fitter. At the time the company I worked for had Dutzer people over from Germany who kindly gave their free time to free the engine, Attached photo taken in 86 [ATTACH=CONFIG]92444[/ATTACH]

Sweet, didn't know that. They could have at least got the windows to open - blummin hot in there.