Original prices

Aussie

Just an idle thought, really, but seeing a Leopard recently had an estimated sale price of 2mil I wonder what older MVs cost when new. Specifically the Saladin, Saracen, Centurion and Ferret, but any original prices (with date, to allow adjustment to today's value) would be interesting. I couldn't find any info on Google so just wonder if anyone knows?

James

Somewhere I have a list of prices paid by the US government for the various medium tanks, the only one that sticks in my memory was $69,000 for the M4A4. This was equivalent to £17,000, roughly the same as a Mk V Spitfire in 1942, it would be nice if the current values were the same!

Somewhere I have a list of prices paid by the US government for the various medium tanks, the only one that sticks in my memory was $69,000 for the M4A4. This was equivalent to £17,000, roughly the same as a Mk V Spitfire in 1942, it would be nice if the current values were the same!

Except the stuff in your shed wouldn't be worth as much!

Well, what I meant is, it would be nice if my tank was worth the same as a Spitfire V is now!

Ah, now I see Adrian. Thought you wouldn't want the value to drop that much. however to have a Spitfire V in there...................that would be nice:cheesy:

My parents paid £600 for their new Mini around then ...

Andy

Yes, I paid £650 in 1966 for a new Morris Mini Traveller - the only new car I've ever bought!

(I paid extra to have Michelin X tyres on it instead of the standard Dunlop C41s!)

Mad extravagant fool:nut:

John

My twopence, or £2.50 worth. Mossberg built the MB42a rifle for British Army training in .22 rimfire, supplied under Lease Lend at £2 10 shillings each. Parke Hale then put sights on them at £3.00 per pice. Last batch supplied 21,000 in February 1941. I know because that's the batch mine came over in.

If you tap in 'money then and now' to Google there's a load of great calculators where you can 'convert' money one way or the other to and from what it was worth in say 1943 to today or reverse ..makes for some sobering thinking I can tell you ! One of the things I did was put in the value of my first 'proper' wage packet on leaving school in 1977 !.......Oh my !.....

I wasn't very well paid at all back in those days , as none of us probably were on leaving school ....but...... I know of very few kids able to earn such money nowadays in equivalent terms .... Wages have definitely not kept track with inflation :( ........

Mind you ......to put it in perspective ..... I dearly wanted a new Raleigh Chopper Bike when they first came out in about 1967 I think it was ... ..in comparison to what my Dad was earning in those days?......It's no wonder I never got one ! :)

Oh ...and try putting in what a gallon of petrol cost in 1977 ..... .......I tell you this ...someone ,somewhere ...is making a lot of money off us :(

PS: this is one of the best ones I've found ........

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1633409/Historic-inflation-calculator-value-money-changed-1900.html

Edited by RattlesnakeBob

As for the gallon of petrol. I remarked to the young women behind the Tesco petrol ststion counter I remember petrol at 35p a gallon. She looked puzzled and said 'How many gallons in a liter?'.

Haha :) Tony I know exactly what you mean ...

Whilst at senior school from '72 through to June '77 I worked at a petrol station as the pump attendant boy (a job that has disappeared entirely by the way !:) ) and in about 1976 I think it was... I recall the garage had a 'special offer' on 4 gallons of 4 Star petrol for a few months..... If you bought 4 gallons , they would give you 5p off per gallon making the cost ?............. £2.80 for 4 gallons :)

As for the gallon of petrol. I remarked to the young women behind the Tesco petrol ststion counter I remember petrol at 35p a gallon. She looked puzzled and said 'How many gallons in a liter?'.[/quote

35p ? That's 7 bob!, I remember buying a gallon of Burmah for 3/10 (younger members will have to seek advise what this means....)

Yes, I paid £650 in 1966 for a new Morris Mini Traveller - the only new car I've ever bought!

(I paid extra to have Michelin X tyres on it instead of the standard Dunlop C41s!)

Mad extravagant fool:nut:

John

Boy racer comes to mind with that sort of mod.:nut: These days that sort of mod would have bumped up your insurance premium, any fluffy dice.

The FV1801 version of the Champ cost the government £1200 in 1951.

The relative costs of beer & petrol came up in the bar the other evening, when a £10 note bought just three pints.

There was much disbelief when I commented that when I started drivng, that £10 would buy 40 GALLONS of Esso's finest at 5/- per Gallon (and it had not long gone up from 4/11).

Notes for the youngsters:

1 Gallon = 4.54 litres

40 Gallons = 181 litres

5/- = 25p.