Hello from an ex Sapper

Hi all

I learnt to drive on a Bedford TK in 1980, at the Royal Engineers Driver Training facility at Church Crookham. In 1981 I went to the RCT Driver Training camp at Leconfield, where I took my class 2 on a Foden 8x4 LMLC with the 4 man crew cab, and then completed the HMLC course.

Makes of vehicles driven whilst in the RE included; Ford, British Leyland, Bedford, Foden, Alvis, Aveling Barford, and a Danish Army Mercedes for 2 minutes.

If anyone has photos of the 4 man cab LMLC then please drop me a line.

Photo of the TK outside my parents house in Weymouth on one of our jaunts to the sea side ;)

2009-07-29_6.jpg

As has been said before Welcome from another Sapper.

I went through Crookham as well on the TKs in late 82.

Half a day on the training circuit, 1 day on the road then test.

Followed by 2 weeks on Delivery / House moving jobs around the country for the permanent staff.

Welcome from another sapper:)

As an ex apprentice (fitter RE), I went through Church Crookham after Gib and before my first posting in 1991. We did our HGV 2 in civvy flat beds. The day after passing my test I was given the keys to a Bedford MJ and told to drive (as part of a convey) to Ashchurch. Complete baptism of fire!

REgards