FV432 Injector pump problem . Any ideas welcome.

mill comms

Hi, Tried to start the FV432 today, the firs time in a year.

Battery flat, charged batteries.

Engine turns over but wont fire.

Fuel is going to the injector pump, and back down the return line, but nothing out of the injector pipes.

Checked the FIP solenoid, ok, checked fuel emergency cut off, ok, checked govenor oil level, ok.

Any ideas on this, or has anybody had a similar problem??

Any advice welcome.

What kind of pump is it?, Inline or Rotary?

If it is Simms, Lucas or CAV unit I might be able to find somebody who designed/developed/worked on it. I work for Delphi Diesel Systems in Park Royal where most of the non-Bosch pumps on British engines were developed and we still have a few mature gentlemen who might know something. I was able to find quite a bit of info about the pump on my Matador there.

Regards

Paul

Aren't there two solenoid types?

An earlier one which is a single winding pull in and hold, and a later double winding; one for the initial pull, and the second to hold.

Don't know if this is of help

Hi,

Yes the rack on the injector pump had stuck, managed to get it free again, and back up and running ok.So thank you for the good advice.

With the FV432 running again, decided to clean the fuel filter on the FV434.So after draining 100 litres of fuel,and removing fuel pump from tank,then removing fuel filter as it was encased with brown mush, had the num-skull idea to steam clean it, and it promptly destroyed the brass mesh, so dont steam clean the fuel tank filter.

So now looking for a fuel filter with the following part numbers 0.005" DMF/03.2094 APWC5671, if you have one for sale let me know.

Same as a Bedford MK primary filter, Bedford part no. 2690400, try this, it was unsold;

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Bedford-MK-Primary-Fuel-Filter-/291081187440

Thanks for the tip, have now purchaced this filter.

So now I need to remove the fuel tank on the FV434, as I put clean fuel in and dirty fuel comes out the drain plug, and slowly, I have cleaned out the compartment where the fuel filter sits, but the tank is compartmented, and there seems to be mud or alge in one of the other compartments.

Has anyone here had the job of removing and cleaning a fuel tank on a FV434.?

Sorry, no idea on fuel tank removal, but my filter had a coating of 'jerry-can lining paint' - I rigged up an airline fitting gradually increased the pressure, and blew the paint off from the inside, Gently rubbing the outside of the filter.

Not 100% clean, but 75+% I would say.

It worked for me, anyway :-)

'Chas.'

Dear Mill Comms,

I am thinking that you don't know so I will say, if you do know apologies.

Diesel fuel is capable of growing algae and will do at an alarming rate. It is a common problem for big sailing boats with diesel engines and others like that.

There is an algaecide you can put in to prevent it happening long term.

Robin

I purchaced the FV434 from Withams , and it has always had a problem blocking fuel filters.

When I first drained the tank it was full of Dirty Muddy Very Dark Red Diesel, not like farm diesel which is light red, so at some point I think someone has put dirty heating oil in tank.

In service the FV434 was operated by 14 sig regiment, and was completley rebuilt in 2000 by ABROs.

So why put dirty fuel in the vehicle??

I purchaced the FV434 from Withams , and it has always had a problem blocking fuel filters.

When I first drained the tank it was full of Dirty Muddy Very Dark Red Diesel, not like farm diesel which is light red, so at some point I think someone has put dirty heating oil in tank.

In service the FV434 was operated by 14 sig regiment, and was completley rebuilt in 2000 by ABROs.

So why put dirty fuel in the vehicle??

It's not the 434 they used on Top Gear is it? Withams just put anything in for the show!

Something went wrong...

Dougy

Edited by Dougy FV432
added youtube link

I seem to remember that the 430 series had a water trap in the fuel tank which should have been drained once a year but never was unless there was a problem. I can remember draining the water trap on Chieftains and being amazed at the amount of water and gunk trapped in the tank. May be worth draining the tank of water every now and again, as water is heavier than fuel it sinks to the bottom of the tank waiting rust filters and cause problems etc,.

A sticking rack in the FIP is a common problem if not regularly run as is the FIPS not moving all the way. A gentle bit of encouragement usually does the trick.

Edited by Tiffy_massive

One good thing I managed to get from Ramco surplus sales was a 1500 Litre SealVac Vacuum Defueling Bowser, It was being advertised as a 100 gallon bowser, and I got it really cheap, less than a builders fuel bowser. It was made for the USAF to de-fuel aircraft.Very usefull tool indeed.