Hello from UKMOD

Hi,Currently still serving and responsible for storage and distribution of the UK's defence inventory - including vehicles. I'm interested in this site because I've made it my business to ensure that, as we close various sites, the gate guardians in my organisation do not get destroyed/abandoned. I currently have a Chieftain Mk1 (one of the first 40 built), two Ferrets, a Striker and a Saladin plus innumerable artillery pieces and missiles. I've had the workshops in Bicester externally restore one of the Ferrets and the Striker but my real interest is in the Saladin which has a very interesting history that begins in Libya (El Adem) in 1967.Hope to try and find out more about these vehicles on this forum.

Good for you mate. Save what you can, whenever you can.

rick

I try - believe me. You wouldn't believe the amount of commercial civilian types that we are now infested with that say "I don't see why we need a little tank on the gate - that's costing me money that is!".

It makes me f***ing spit and keeping the civvies (no offence) in line is challenging. The Striker (one of only 80 or so) would have gone for scrap, so would the Saladin if I hadn't been the sort of guy that could indulge a historic vehicle habit by virtue of rank rather than money (got the former, not the latter!). I am committed to ensuring that the Ashchurch Chieftain doesn't go to the smelters as it is quite rare.

Also got a Tornado and a Harrier............

Hi,Currently still serving and responsible for storage and distribution of the UK's defence inventory - including vehicles. I'm interested in this site because I've made it my business to ensure that, as we close various sites, the gate guardians in my organisation do not get destroyed/abandoned. I currently have a Chieftain Mk1 (one of the first 40 built), two Ferrets, a Striker and a Saladin plus innumerable artillery pieces and missiles. I've had the workshops in Bicester externally restore one of the Ferrets and the Striker but my real interest is in the Saladin which has a very interesting history that begins in Libya (El Adem) in 1967.Hope to try and find out more about these vehicles on this forum.

Welcome to the site....IF you ever come across a few railroad cars loaded with Ferret parts please contact me.Thanks.:D

Seriously keep up the good work..we must preserve the history for the people that served...

I hope someday to find out the history of my 1954 Canadian Army ferret MK1..

I try - believe me. You wouldn't believe the amount of commercial civilian types that we are now infested with that say "I don't see why we need a little tank on the gate - that's costing me money that is!".

It makes me f***ing spit and keeping the civvies (no offence) in line is challenging. The Striker (one of only 80 or so) would have gone for scrap, so would the Saladin if I hadn't been the sort of guy that could indulge a historic vehicle habit by virtue of rank rather than money (got the former, not the latter!). I am committed to ensuring that the Ashchurch Chieftain doesn't go to the smelters as it is quite rare.

Have you been in touch with the Tank museum at bovington they maybe intrested. I drive pass Ashchurch on the way to prescott at the weekends and always look at the Chieftain would like to have a real good look at it. Is it complete?

Al

Welcome, come to the W & P show if you dont already, pleanty of people to talk to there.

I have just acquired whats left of 2 Daimler Heavy Armoured Cars so if any pets of those come your way let me know !

All the best, and keep looking after our history.

Andy

Not helped by the fact that the DSA won't allow individuals to buy "scrap", even if it isn't!

Andy

• 3 weeks later...
Have you been in touch with the Tank museum at bovington they maybe intrested. I drive pass Ashchurch on the way to prescott at the weekends and always look at the Chieftain would like to have a real good look at it. Is it complete?

Al

I believe it is complete - and one of the first 40 to be produced. It was the Tank Museum that told me that when they sent me the vehicle docs, it's only ever been used as a driver trainer. Under CFE however, it may well have had engine and gearbox removed. I'll prise the hatches open next time I'm down there.