Spring Steel - Help !

Steve 82

Question

Having a devil of a time locating a (very) small quantity of spring steel !

The simple U-clip holding the cranking arm on my 1950`s German generator has snapped and I need to re-manufacture a replacement. Have tried stockists but the do not want to know once they realise all I want is a small off-cut.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Steve 82

9 answers to this question

Having a devil of a time locating a (very) small quantity of spring steel !

The simple U-clip holding the cranking arm on my 1950`s German generator has snapped and I need to re-manufacture a replacement. Have tried stockists but the do not want to know once they realise all I want is a small off-cut.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Steve 82

Try an old wood saw, spring steel!

Ha e you a spring manufacturers near you? We have HOLT SPRINGS in Hoylake. Make not just springs but all manner of clips and holdings.

Yep I used the blade of an old hard point wood saw to fashion a spring clip for the tow pin on my Bedford, seems to do the job :-D

Try an old wood saw, spring steel!

Ha e you a spring manufacturers near you? We have HOLT SPRINGS in Hoylake. Make not just springs but all manner of clips and holdings.

or you can use a steel float. (trowel):-D

Doesn't it depend on how thick the existing spring steel is? There are a few spring manufacturers in Redditch I am sure if you take the sample to their trade counter they will be able to oblige. I have used Holt springs in Hoylake many times for my one off needs.

Regards

John

Go to the local office supply shop and look at the different sizes of spring loaded paper clamps advailable.

They are cheap and a good source of spring steel.

I find the spring steel in them can be rebent or reworked to a degree into different shapes.

As is you should be able to find one that can do the job.

I needed to find some flat spring steel strip for some Stalwart hatch door locks and purchased some very large paper clamps and cut out what I needed........all at little cost and purchased locally.

https://warosu.org/data/fa/img/0067/71/1377497685628.jpg