87 ET 77 Militant

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...final few for today; work from this weekend to free off & lubricate the stabiliser legs and checking the crane electrics plus the new Beacon fitted last weekend. On the look out for the beacon cage (if it will fit over this Britax beacon at crica 6" wide & 9" tall). Also have parts awaiting fitment to include; lamp guard/steps, jerry can cage, welding cabinet & crane boom lamps. Will post more in the coming weeks.

Thanks for viewing.

image8.jpg

image9.jpg

image10.jpg

image11.jpg

image12.jpg

image13.jpg

image14.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Managed to get two thirds of the Militant inside yesterday and out of the rain to patch some of the cab floor, needle gun & red oxide part of the body and investigate knocking noise from NSF wheel.

Moderators; please move if this should be in Restoration Blogs, thanks :-)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Managed to get two thirds of the Militant inside yesterday and out of the rain to patch some of the cab floor, needle gun & red oxide part of the body and investigate knocking noise from NSF wheel.

What did you find out about the knocking noise?

Hello both,

Jacked up front axle but found little bearing play. Nothing seems to foul the NSF wheel on full lock. A recent tight turn caused the same wheel to grab & rip off the rubber mud flap which I have re cut and will be fitted back. From a quick glance the bottom bushes on the NSF shock absorber are 50% perished so will replace that. Bump stops appear ok, will need further investigation.

Bet that clutch removal was a marathon job?! What's the replacement clutch kit available these days? Manual says original was Borg & Beck - that Valeo now?

Any photos of your wagons?

Regards

nick

Hi

Night mare to remove as the rear body has to be lifted to allow the gearbox to be moved back enough. Sent the complete clutch and flywheel to Truckfix Clutches, hoping to have it back this week as have a show on the bank holiday !!

She spent her military life in Northern Ireland, hence the grey colour, still loads to do.

Very smart wagon. Did it stay in NI after release, or was it taken there and used in civvy street? I have seen a picture of one in action in NI, but I'm sure it has wire mesh all round the cab, and I think I have also seen a 'bomb-proof' version.

I commented on your clutch exercise in another post to Nick, wrongly thinking it was him who had done the clutch job- you are a braver man than I am!

It stopped in Northern ireland on its release until I got it about 4 years ago. When I first got it everything, including all the hard to get bits where painted grey so I have left it that colour.

When I started the clutch I did not realise what a job it would be, ignorance is bliss :D . The pressure plate and flywheel each weight over 50kgs, so putting it back will be exciting.

Hi, my NSF mud flap kept getting caught by the front wheel, don not know if this is a problem with others, I put a small chain to the locker to pull the mud flap back as it looked like it had curled up, and seems to have stopped it catching, no problem with the drivers side thou.

Another few hours on the Militant today with my Dad;

1. Found handbrake travel from lever to connecting rod disappears at the fulcrum above the second axle in the chassis rail meaning very little if any braking effort - further investigation required.

2. Continued work with needle scaler & red oxide - never ending. Removed a plaque (below) on the crane body to find a patch of, possibly, original paint - does this look like NATO green or unfaded Olive Drab? This appears to be the only colour under the DBG right back to metal.

3. Inspection lamp arrived from eBay, just waiting on the Lucas two pin plug to finish it.

4. Found air valve behind fuel tank only held/hanging in place by the air pipes joining it, replaced missing bolts.

5. Found corroded & broken pipe near valve, removed for copy to be made.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Another few hours on the Militant today with my Dad;

1. Found handbrake travel from lever to connecting rod disappears at the fulcrum above the second axle in the chassis rail meaning very little if any braking effort - further investigation required.

2. Continued work with needle scaler & red oxide - never ending. Removed a plaque (below) on the crane body to find a patch of, possibly, original paint - does this look like NATO green or unfaded Olive Drab? This appears to be the only colour under the DBG right back to metal.

3. Inspection lamp arrived from eBay, just waiting on the Lucas two pin plug to finish it.

4. Found air valve behind fuel tank only held/hanging in place by the air pipes joining it, replaced missing bolts.

5. Found corroded & broken pipe near valve, removed for copy to be made.

Looks like DBG under the plaque to me. UK military vehicles of this date wouldn't have ben painted Olive Drab and it doesn't look like Nato Green to me